[Discussion] Humax software update 28.35.0

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:42PM

i agree in that respect, it is an improvement over what was available before. The difficulty YV have is that they had a cracking first go at things and people like myself, moved to the platform because of this. When the second album came along, they decided to release a run of EPs rather than a proper, complete, follow up.

Interesting analogy. The truth is that YouView were way ahead of the game when they first launched and other platforms have only recently begun to catch up. In their haste to migrate to a whole new operating base they have indeed lost a few things along the way. But to use another analogy and mindful of the world-class athletics we are currently enjoying, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 16 August 2017, 1:48PM

i agree in that respect, it is an improvement over what was available before. The difficulty YV have is that they had a cracking first go at things and people like myself, moved to the platform because of this. When the second album came along, they decided to release a run of EPs rather than a proper, complete, follow up.

As an aside, but going back to yesterdays discussion, my dad just mentioned me that he has been watching New Tricks. I searched for it to set it to record to give him something to watch when he babysits. It is on tonight at 9pm. If you were to search at 10pm, there would be 20 results ahead of it, all for IP Channels I am unable to watch and therefore record. That's the sort of problem i have experienced since moving to a broadband provider offering IP channels and it makes the search a whole lot less useful. Perhaps an option to disable the IP channels entirely would be a nice addition.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 September 2017, 11:27PM
    PhilStation>
    "That said, it is frustrating that the new software launched without features we had all come to expect."
    Its been known for years that YouView would be switching to a HTML5 format. They (all platforms) all are now. Freetime from Freesat comes highly recommended. Freeview Play, even though it offers many features, is technically challenged and doesn't offer a consistency of user experience from manufacturer to manufacturer, or from device to device. And Sky Q still has some major bugs. 
    Personally, I don't think there will ever be a perfect box.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:55PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>
    "That said, it is frustrating that the new software launched without features we had all come to expect."
    Its been known for years that YouView would be switching to a HTML5 format. They (all platforms) all are now. Freetime from Freesat comes highly recommended. Freeview Play, even though it offers many features, is technically challenged and doesn't offer a consistency of user experience from manufacturer to manufacturer, or from device to device. And Sky Q still has some major bugs. 

There can never be a perfect box because you will never please everyone.

With regards to your first point however, yes it was known in advance there was going to be a move to html5 but, no one told us that we were going to lose features that we had come to expect, from the platform that we had been using for years. It's all about setting expectations and YV failed in that respect IMO.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:07PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

Oh no, I've known for years that with a relaunch (any relaunch on any platform) all functionality is stripped back to its core features and then rebuilt from there. Indeed, Sky Q is an example of this, which has slowly been adding features back (and new ones) one by one. But they haven't up to now fixed its bugs. Thats a very strange way of doing it, imo.
    One would never catch YouView deliberately doing that. Fix bugs first, release features second. Thats their way.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:16PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

I have to say in my admittedly limited experience of Sky Q I have not found it particularly buggy. Which known bugs remain unfixed and where do you know that this a deliberate approach? Say what you like about Sky and I often do, but as a world-leader in set-top box technology I would be astonished to find that this is the case.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:30PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

Sound drop outs, mesh network mini box drops, powerline failures, WiFi drops, main box can lock up, reboot often needed and reboots required to mini boxes. These are all problems listed on internet fora, so I haven't made them up and not one has been addressed.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:34PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

You must have bad luck Vision man as my box doesn't exhibit any of those. But perhaps we should get back on topic after all this is a You view forum.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:40PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

Thanks for the pointer. :)
    There are lots of users on here with a Sky Q and a YV. I suspect the majority of they don't have a problem either, but the problems stated do exist.
    No box is perfect.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:41PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

I think it's fair play to compare like with like, but this is very difficult when it comes to things like bugs, real or perceived. One person's box collapses while another's works just fine. A common trait across most forums I would imagine.
    edited 11 August 2017, 6:44PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

Agree. On internet fora, one only hears about the bad, or the critical. Almost Never the good. 
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:02PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

Visionman - Oh no, I've known for years that with a relaunch (any relaunch on any platform) all functionality is stripped back to its core features and then rebuilt from there. 

Then may I be the first to say good for you. 

This does not however change Youviews failing in respect of setting expectations. My parents, one retired and one semi-retired, can hardy be expected to know that the features they had become accustomed to using would be pulled from under them and would be restored at some undetermined point in time. They would not understand what the hell had happened at all if it weren't for me, and I dont imagine for one second they are unique in that respect. 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:17PM
    Visionman said:

Its a work in progress and will continue to evolve into other areas. And this release is only the start of it.
    I actually agree with YouView doing this, as the main guide is the way the majority access their channels. But now, if I may, to ask you a question, would you rather have Hide Channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY, or preferred to have waited months until Hide Channels permeates all other areas?
    There is no right or wrong answer here, btw. I just wondered what your preference would be...

I am happy to see this release. Other areas can be expanded on later. It is a fantastic update IMO.
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:21PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

I think I'll leave it there. I've tried to explain it as best I can but no, I'll leave it there. Bye.
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:20PM
    Visionman said:

Its a work in progress and will continue to evolve into other areas. And this release is only the start of it.
    I actually agree with YouView doing this, as the main guide is the way the majority access their channels. But now, if I may, to ask you a question, would you rather have Hide Channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY, or preferred to have waited months until Hide Channels permeates all other areas?
    There is no right or wrong answer here, btw. I just wondered what your preference would be...

Did you write the code?
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:26PM
    Visionman said:

Obviously not I'm a user like anybody else who is fully entitled to my opinion. I can appreciate and respect if you don't like next generation and this is your right. But I like next generation and am entitled to like it.
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:30PM
    Visionman said:

Just thought that if you are you could let us know why all this so slow.
    edited 11 August 2017, 7:32PM
    Visionman said:

Why what is so slow?
    edited 29 September 2017, 11:27PM
    The release of Hide Edit Channels in the guide only is a massive step forward and definitely a move in the right direction.
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:01PM
    Visionman said:

The release of Hide Edit Channels in the guide only is a massive step forward and definitely a move in the right direction.

So how many steps backwards did they take when it was removed? lol
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:02PM
    Visionman said:

They removed virtually the lot, William. 
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:02PM

In this scenario, I would rather have what we have been given because a partial implementation is better than nothing at all.

That said, it is frustrating that the new software launched without features we had all come to expect. Initially promises were made regarding the restoration of features but I did not realise even those individual features were going to be staggered over multiple releases until the originally capability is restored (and hopefully exceeded).

The new software is, visually, a very attractive UI and I like that side of it a lot and I believe it is deserving of the awards it has won in that respect. Youview should not however be celebrated for a partial reintroduction of a feature we had had for years and only lost because they decided to roll out the new software without it.

It's won awards?!? I don't understand the world any more.
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:09PM

In this scenario, I would rather have what we have been given because a partial implementation is better than nothing at all.

That said, it is frustrating that the new software launched without features we had all come to expect. Initially promises were made regarding the restoration of features but I did not realise even those individual features were going to be staggered over multiple releases until the originally capability is restored (and hopefully exceeded).

The new software is, visually, a very attractive UI and I like that side of it a lot and I believe it is deserving of the awards it has won in that respect. Youview should not however be celebrated for a partial reintroduction of a feature we had had for years and only lost because they decided to roll out the new software without it.

For the UI, not for removing features. That wasn't part of the award judging.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 395 ✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:11PM
    Visionman said:

I only just got the 28.26.0 update to my BT G4 box the other day. After BT had started rolling out the update nearly 3 weeks ago. So I think this update will be another month or two away before BT start rolling it out to there boxes.

Darren
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:24PM

They had a clean sweep in the 'removal of features' awards!
    edited 14 August 2017, 8:16AM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

The comparison with other platforms is not a like for like one. All those platforms involved getting a new box, people happy with the old service could continue with the equipment they had.
    Youview foisted this on everyone and has, in essence, made users beta testers. A 'cleaner' launch with only new users getting the update would have been much better.
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:30PM
    Visionman said:

PhilStation>

The comparison with other platforms is not a like for like one. All those platforms involved getting a new box, people happy with the old service could continue with the equipment they had.
    Youview foisted this on everyone and has, in essence, made users beta testers. A 'cleaner' launch with only new users getting the update would have been much better.
  • momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:36PM
    momist said:

Gremlins are BACK!  I noticed I had got the new software on my T1010 yesterday.  Today, the box would not switch on (again! grrr) without a power down reset once more.  My level 4 reset some weeks ago had supposedly cured this, after the previous 'upgrade'.  Do I really have to do that again?

@Sarah.  Yes, thanks for repairing that link.  Yes, my box seems to have been doing the same things.  I put the original behaviour down to leaving the box unused for more than a day or so, whilst away for a few days, and I sometimes came back to missed recordings if the lock-up had happened after the first day away.  The maintenance mode level 4 seemed to have cured that totally, although we have only been away once since I did that.  This time however, the lock-up occurred the night after the update was received, without the "out of use" period.  Of course, I realise that this could simply be coincidence, and that the earlier fault has come back and it has nothing to do with the updates.
    @Visionman.  Sorry, I don't remember how old the machine is, but I bought it retail and it is model 80B07000  DTR-T1010/GB/1TB.  It's probably more years ago than I would think?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:37PM
    Visionman said:

It should be noted this new 'Edit Channels' feature is to hide channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY.
    But the ability to unhide an individual channel (and not the lot) is a big improvement and a massive step forward for this returning feature.

Yes, redchiz is correct.

I did look for an animated whoosh gif, but found nothing gentle enough :-(
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:37PM
    Visionman said:

It should be noted this new 'Edit Channels' feature is to hide channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY.
    But the ability to unhide an individual channel (and not the lot) is a big improvement and a massive step forward for this returning feature.

Yes, redchiz is correct.

I did look for an animated whoosh gif, but found nothin gentle enough :-(
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn