[Discussion] Humax software update 28.35.0

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:26PM
    Visionman said:

Hide channels is what everyones been shouting for.

I have formed the opinion that Hide Channels is the number one most wished-for feature restoration, so I rather think this one.

Bit of a no-braner, really.....
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 11 August 2017, 8:55PM
    Visionman said:

With hide channels restored, I for one would be content. I of course mean the complete hide facility and not what they currently are rolling out.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:36PM
    Visionman said:

I knew this would be the reaction. Theres just no pleasing some people.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:40PM
    Visionman said:

I'll ask you the same question I asked PhilStation -

Would you rather have Hide Channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY, or preferred to have waited months until Hide Channels permeates all other areas?
    There is no right or wrong answer here, btw. I just wondered what your preference would be...
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:55PM
    Visionman said:

Too late for that feedback I am afraid vision man as the decision has already been made.
    edited 12 August 2017, 1:12AM
    So YouView introduce Hide Channels, or Edit Channels as its now known, in the guide only, only to be met with a flood of complaints.
    Theres just no pleasing some people. :(
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:09PM
    Visionman said:

So YouView introduce Hide Channels, or Edit Channels as its now known, in the guide only, only to be met with a flood of complaints.

It's a wasted couple of months to me lol. I won't use it anyway. I can think of far more important things to bring back. Only saying..
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:15PM
    Visionman said:

I've never used it either, but thats not the point. Its a move forward and shows a positive direction. 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:23PM
    Visionman said:

Not even for the Sky Sports channels you've just cancelled? ;)
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:25PM
    Visionman said:

No, I've never hidden a channel. But where BT SS is concerned, it is only two slots. 
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:50PM
    Visionman said:

Yes we know, sorry, just trying to inject a lighter mood!
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:50PM
    Visionman said:

What was the score? Cause I for sure don't know. :)
    And thanks, chiz.
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:49PM
    Visionman said:

LOL course you do!
    edited 11 August 2017, 10:55PM
    Visionman said:

No seriously. So I've just checked the BBC Sport website.
    Oh gawd.... Really?!?
    edited 11 August 2017, 11:36PM
    Visionman said:

Just the under-stated start the hyperbolic PL needed!
    edited 11 August 2017, 11:53PM
    Visionman said:

Ha Ha! Lol. Do you remember Red Monday?
    edited 12 August 2017, 1:12AM
    Visionman said:

Sadly yes.
    edited 12 August 2017, 6:40AM

In this scenario, I would rather have what we have been given because a partial implementation is better than nothing at all.

That said, it is frustrating that the new software launched without features we had all come to expect. Initially promises were made regarding the restoration of features but I did not realise even those individual features were going to be staggered over multiple releases until the originally capability is restored (and hopefully exceeded).

The new software is, visually, a very attractive UI and I like that side of it a lot and I believe it is deserving of the awards it has won in that respect. Youview should not however be celebrated for a partial reintroduction of a feature we had had for years and only lost because they decided to roll out the new software without it.

I think the award was being auctioned on eBay. That's the only way NextGen could have 'won' one :-)
    edited 19 August 2017, 8:39PM
    Visionman said:-

Oh no, I've known for years that with a relaunch (any relaunch on any platform) all functionality is stripped back to its core features and then rebuilt from there.

No, what YouView should have done was a 'lift and shift' to HTML5 of all the CurrentGen functionality that they could, unchanged.

It was just crazy trying to change the UI, and lots of other things, at the same time
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:14AM
    Roy1 said:

Oh no, I've known for years that with a relaunch (any relaunch on any platform) all functionality is stripped back to its core features and then rebuilt from there.

No, what YouView should have done was a 'lift and shift' to HTML5 of all the CurrentGen functionality that they could, unchanged.

It was just crazy trying to change the UI, and lots of other things, at the same time

Still unsure as to why they didn't do this. I have thought before that they may have felt they were being left behind when compared to the newer boxes and software being launched by competitors. Keeping up with the Joneses?
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:54AM
    Roy1 said:

Well, he's here, and he says YouView haven't kept up with him :-(
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2017, 9:48AM
    Visionman said:

Its a work in progress and will continue to evolve into other areas. And this release is only the start of it.
    I actually agree with YouView doing this, as the main guide is the way the majority access their channels. But now, if I may, to ask you a question, would you rather have Hide Channels IN THE GUIDE ONLY, or preferred to have waited months until Hide Channels permeates all other areas?
    There is no right or wrong answer here, btw. I just wondered what your preference would be...

As the hidden channels were mostly still hidden in the app (which I use much more than the STB's EPG), I would've been happier to wait.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2017, 12:53PM
    Roy1 said:

I blame BT. They've had it in for me since I cancelled my contract after one of their price increases :-(
    edited 12 August 2017, 9:11PM
    Roy>
    "No, what YouView should have done was a 'lift and shift' to HTML5 of all the CurrentGen functionality that they could, unchanged."
    When it launched, it was a shock to everyone to be sure.
  • Orange BucketOrange Bucket Member Posts: 24
    edited 13 August 2017, 4:25PM
    momist said:

Gremlins are BACK!  I noticed I had got the new software on my T1010 yesterday.  Today, the box would not switch on (again! grrr) without a power down reset once more.  My level 4 reset some weeks ago had supposedly cured this, after the previous 'upgrade'.  Do I really have to do that again?

I had the issues with the basically inert T1010 on 28.26 too, and an option 4 maintenance reset seemed to fix it for me. I never really figured out if there was any pattern to the problem as we can go many days without turning it on and don't really record a lot either. I always had the suspicion the problem was triggered by the box making a recording.

Today I was greeted with an inert box again and after power cycling I checked in the settings and discovered there had been a software update. So I've just performed a maintenance reset as a preemptive strike. Just to wind me up, after the reset the box found a state I'd not seen it in before, with the power 'button' faded out as if the box was on standby, but the circular 'button' lit up as if the box was on. It seemed it was probably waiting for me to turn it on again.

I hope this isn't something I now have to look forward to with every update.
    edited 14 August 2017, 7:25AM
    @Orange Bucket -
    You have posted on two update threads, 28.26.0 & 28.35.0.
    So which one do you have?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317
    edited 13 August 2017, 6:35PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

That is in Orange Bucket's post on 28.26.0.  In the post on 28.26.0 Orange Bucket did give the reason for adding the post there and was also clear that the box no longer had 28.26.0 but had the later version.
  • Orange BucketOrange Bucket Member Posts: 24
    edited 13 August 2017, 6:37PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

Indeed I did. I posted on the 28.26.0 thread saying I wanted to belatedly tie up the loose ends and confim the maintenance mode reset worked for me, only to have found today that my problem had come back but it turned out my box had been updated without me knowing. So basically 28.35.0 looks like having the same issue that 28.26.0 has.
  • Chris BChris B Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 August 2017, 6:41PM

Sold mine today, it had to go, the latest new gen is hideous and has been stripped of features the box had when I bought it and I was given no choice in the matter, to continue with youview after that is just not kosher, the lack of regard for customers feelings is disgusting, good bye youview sorry it had to end this way but I cant let you treat me that way, if I do you will think you got away with it and you would be right ! 

Losing features that were the reason you bought that particular device is as good as breaking the machine. If features are to be removed for "streamlining" an interface you should really have an "advanced" mode that restores the original features.
    edited 13 August 2017, 7:35PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

No it doesn't and no they don't... yours is unfortunately an individual problem.