[Discussion] Humax software update 28.35.0

Comments

• momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 13 August 2017, 8:52PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -
    You have posted on two update threads, 28.26.0 & 28.35.0.
    So which one do you have?

Not so individual, as I had the same problem after the 28.35.0 update as well - or rather the next day after it.  Coincidence is always possible.  Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action . . .

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 August 2017, 9:39PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

I hate this forum setup, no idea what anyone is on about now. :(
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 August 2017, 9:12PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

Or 10 times is an internet complaint. There are 3 million users on this platform. But this forum only has 11,000 of them. momist, these updates don't cause boxes to crash across the the board. It literally is an individual problem with ones own box.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Orange BucketOrange Bucket Member Posts: 24
    edited 13 August 2017, 10:15PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

All I know is that the update processes to 28.26.0 and 28.35.0 have introduced a critical fault on my box that has never previously exhibited itself, and in the case of the update process to 28.26.0 (28.35.0 being unknown to me in this respect as I reset the box anyway) can apparently be remedied by reinstalling the software from the Internet as part of a reset from the maintenance menu.

The same symptoms have been reported by a number of other users. I don't care how many boxes are affected, that's a bug in the update process. It would still be a bug if it were only my box affected.

Perhaps there is a common fault on these boxes, or perhaps just an obscure common feature. Perhaps there is a common pattern of setup and usage that is a factor, or perhaps it is a combination of factors. If so it has not caused a problem before and doesn't seem to cause a problem once the software is reinstalled outside the update process. The problem, which is a critical problem on those boxes, isn't caused by those boxes, it is caused by the failure to handle those boxes in the update process.

In the grand scheme of things it might be considered a minor bug, and there might be no practical way of diagnosing or fixing even if there is a will to do so. It can't be dismissed though.

Am I going to walk away from YouView because of it? Probably not. Would it put me off purchasing another YouView box if the problem persists? Of course. Would I be likely to purchase another one without the problem? Maybe, maybe not.
    edited 13 August 2017, 10:41PM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

I did not mean to dismiss you, and nor was I either.
    edited 14 August 2017, 7:25AM
    Visionman said:

@Orange Bucket -

Sorry I was just having a bit of a rant. It gets a bit frustrating when you suspect you may now have a box that is going to need resetting every time an update comes along and that you can no longer rely on it recording anything because you don't know when those updates are happening.

It would also help if the scheduled recordings were restored after the reset but that seems rather hit and miss at the moment. That's another story though.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August 2017, 8:08PM
    Orange Bucket

The update process, and not anything in the update, causes sporadiccally reported issues.

It does not mean the people posting them are not experiencing real problems; but it does mean that the problems reported are not in the update, and will not be cured by the next update,

Indeed, as you have found (though this is rarer) it may even cause a repeat of the issue,

Many of these update-process-related issues can be resolved by a Maintenance Mode reset, of varying Option strength, sometimes alas even an Option 5, though that usually only when the recordings/schedules have become corrupted, and the lesser options 4 or 2 should always be attempted first.

I agree that the issue should be looked at by YouView; but I am not sure if they have even acknowledged that there Is such an issue yet, and I fear the causes may be many and varied, and associated with different slight hardware weaknesses in individual boxes (the sense in which I think Visionman was using the word individual), and so may prove extremely difficult to address.

It may be, though, that YouView can at least come up with a post-update check and self-test that can show if the box is working properly or not after the update.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,656 admin
    edited 14 August 2017, 8:26AM
    momist said:

Gremlins are BACK!  I noticed I had got the new software on my T1010 yesterday.  Today, the box would not switch on (again! grrr) without a power down reset once more.  My level 4 reset some weeks ago had supposedly cured this, after the previous 'upgrade'.  Do I really have to do that again?

Thanks for this information, I've forwarded this on. 
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 14 August 2017, 8:32AM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

The update process, and not anything in the update, causes sporadiccally reported issues.

It does not mean the people posting them are not experiencing real problems; but it does mean that the problems reported are not in the update, and will not be cured by the next update,

Indeed, as you have found (though this is rarer) it may even cause a repeat of the issue,

Many of these update-process-related issues can be resolved by a Maintenance Mode reset, of varying Option strength, sometimes alas even an Option 5, though that usually only when the recordings/schedules have become corrupted, and the lesser options 4 or 2 should always be attempted first.

I agree that the issue should be looked at by YouView; but I am not sure if they have even acknowledged that there Is such an issue yet, and I fear the causes may be many and varied, and associated with different slight hardware weaknesses in individual boxes (the sense in which I think Visionman was using the word individual), and so may prove extremely difficult to address.

It may be, though, that YouView can at least come up with a post-update check and self-test that can show if the box is working properly or not after the update.

Random question Roy, does this next gen software keep your scheduled recordings in a cloud then? I.e. they will repopulate when you've done a full wipe? (As long as you are connected to internet of course)..
    edited 14 August 2017, 1:44PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

I am told it does, now.

I have not experienced this myself, though, as the only NextGen box I ever MM4ed had no Schedules set,
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    edited 14 August 2017, 2:04PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

Nick
    It appears to.
    My experience was the schedule came back in stages. When I first looked it was incomplete and quite quickly the remaining entries appeared.
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 14 August 2017, 2:09PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

Thanks guys, interesting. One good feature of next gen. I'm starting to love it..!
    edited 14 August 2017, 2:32PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

I agree that it is the update process that triggers the fault but the update process itself is started by the old software and completed by the new software, and it is the new software that fails for whatever reason. Prior to the last two updates there weren't any problems so I think it is perfectly reasonable to point an accusing finger at the last three releases. The update process might be a relatively small part of the software but it is still part of it.

The schedules are stored in the cloud but it isn't clear how quickly they are meant to be restored. Personally I feel they should be restored in a synchronous fashion with a manual trigger so it is clear that the process is over. Last time around I set up the schedules before any were restored from the cloud (not knowing they would be). This time around round I waited and only one appeared and I had no way of knowing if more were still to be restored or if that was all I was getting.
    edited 14 August 2017, 3:25PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

You can certainly point a finger at the releases, but then you need to explain why so relatively few boxes are deranged by them, and most people seem to experience no problems at all.

If there were inherent flaws in the code of the update processes, I would expect to see a much greater number of problem reports resulting.
  • Alan3Alan3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 14 August 2017, 5:30PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

Anyone else with a retail box still waiting for this update?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August 2017, 5:41PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

It usually takes around two weeks to complete the rollout.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August 2017, 8:08PM
    Roy1 said:

Orange Bucket

@Orange Bucket

I am not sure if you have said which box you have got or how old it is, but most reports of problems after an update seem to have been about Humax T10x0 machines, which are generally older boxes.

We have been assured that these boxes are capable of running the new software, so as you said, the blame would seem to lie with the update process, rather than with the software itself.

It seems that ageing hardware can occasionally get it wrong when installing a software update.

Edited to add that you said in a different thread that your box is a T1010.
  • Janie IrishJanie Irish Member Posts: 5
    edited 30 August 2017, 12:51PM
    I have model DN370T.02.04.P  but have not yet got the update - or at least the return of the hide channel feature which is my only concern .Is update imminent ? Will it apply to my box ?

Apologies if I'm on wrong thread - it can be confusing for a non techy person like myself !
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,656 admin
    edited 16 August 2017, 2:12PM

I have model DN370T.02.04.P  but have not yet got the update - or at least the return of the hide channel feature which is my only concern .Is update imminent ? Will it apply to my box ?

Apologies if I'm on wrong thread - it can be confusing for a non techy person like myself !

Hi Janie,

This update is currently only available on Humax retail boxes. As your box is a TalkTalk box, this update is not available for you yet but it should be soon.

The latest update for TalkTalk devices is in the process of rolling out however it does not have any new features in the release. 

Once the update including the Edit Channels feature is ready to go out on TalkTalk boxes as well, we'll post a similar update to let you all know :) 

Sarah
    edited 16 August 2017, 3:55PM

I still don't like that name, but it appears I'm in a minority of one. :(
    Its great that its rolling out though. :)
  • LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 78
    edited 30 August 2017, 4:04PM
    Since the latest update I've had a slight glitch.  Often (though not always) after watching a recorded programme and pressing STOP it returns to the standard TV channel tuner is set to, rather than going back to the RECORDINGS LIST.  So i then have to navigate back to the RECORDINGS LIST to delete the programme I've just watched.  Problem persists periodically after doing soft reset.  Anyone else noticed this too?
  • momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:04PM
    @Lebowski.  You likely need to tell us what device this is on.  Having said that, I assume your 'soft reset' is a simple power down reset.  If you search on here for how to find the 'maintenance reset' it sounds very much like the sort of fault which would be sorted out by a 'level 4' 'keep recordings' reset.  That is only available through the menu system.
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:28PM
    If you access a recording from the main menu, ie switch it on and scroll right to MyTV and then press down, or press the blue YV button and scroll right to MyTV, press down and access the recording from there, upon stopping it the user will be returned to live TV. If you want to end up back on the recording tile, you have to actually enter the MyTV menu and then select the recording from there.
  • Alan3Alan3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 7 September 2017, 2:57PM
    I was one of the trial owners of the first youview box when the service was launched,but now own the DTR-T2000. I like many others users was more than wound up when the new ui was forced upon us,but I must now give credit to those responsible for the updates we are now receiving. The service is improving and I'm sure given time we will all be happy with the youview service. I'm now preparing to be shot down....
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:04PM
    momist said:

@Lebowski.  You likely need to tell us what device this is on.  Having said that, I assume your 'soft reset' is a simple power down reset.  If you search on here for how to find the 'maintenance reset' it sounds very much like the sort of fault which would be sorted out by a 'level 4' 'keep recordings' reset.  That is only available through the menu system.

Hi there.  It's on humax dtr t 200.  Soft reset is the holding on the power button on front of device for 10 seconds to re-boot.
    I'll see how it goes - may try level 4 maintenance mode reset if persists.
    thanks.
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:07PM
    Visionman said:

If you access a recording from the main menu, ie switch it on and scroll right to MyTV and then press down, or press the blue YV button and scroll right to MyTV, press down and access the recording from there, upon stopping it the user will be returned to live TV. If you want to end up back on the recording tile, you have to actually enter the MyTV menu and then select the recording from there.

Hi Visionman.   It's a periodic fault when accessing the recording from the My TV menu.  Just wondered if others had experienced this glitch since the update too.
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:21PM
    Visionman said:

No, theres been no reports of such.
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:26PM
    The truth is many users will support your comments and many won't. Its just the nature of internet forums.
    But yes, the changes that have happened up to now have been good, with as promised more to come. Still lots of work to do though....
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:28PM
    Visionman said:

ok - thanks for letting me know.  Will try the maintenance mode reset if it persists, or maybe wait until the next software update to resolve it.  they seem to be rolling out the updates a bit more regularly these days! 
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 17 August 2017, 7:07AM
    Lebowski said:

Since the latest update I've had a slight glitch.  Often (though not always) after watching a recorded programme and pressing STOP it returns to the standard TV channel tuner is set to, rather than going back to the RECORDINGS LIST.  So i then have to navigate back to the RECORDINGS LIST to delete the programme I've just watched.  Problem persists periodically after doing soft reset.  Anyone else noticed this too?

I've experienced this and still do.

In my case, it happens when the box has to switch channels to start a new recording whilst another recording is already in progress.

If during that time I'm watching a previously recorded programme, then when I exit said recording I will be taken to live tv instead of MyTV.

This can issue can be reproduced and YouView are aware of it.