BT box invasion

Alan11Alan11 Member Posts: 13
edited 11 August 2017, 1:15PM in Support
I own a private Humax DTRT 2000 which has recently been updated to the 28-26 software. I have just swapped to BT fibre broadband and without invitation they have invaded my box putting the BT logo everywhere, changed the background colours and added a BT Player option when I press the YouView button. Will this delay me getting the new update that has just come out and are BT now in charge of my YouView?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,377 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 2:49PM
    No, the updates depend on the provenance of the box, and are not affected by who your ISP might be, or the stunts that your ISP, in cahoots with YouView, pulls.

That is the end of the good news.

The bad news is that YouView boxes connected to BT as your ISP will get the full BT branding, and the full panoply of BT TV services, channels, players, etc. shown, even though you are not subscribed to BT TV,

Like you, I think this is outrageous, and I strongly deprecate YouView's part in supporting this.

If somebody at YouView could kindly grow a backbone and make the BT branding optional, or non-existent, for those who are not actual BT TV subscribers, the world would be a better place.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Alan11Alan11 Member Posts: 13
    edited 11 August 2017, 9:38AM
    Thanks Roy
    This is not what I wanted or what I expected, I noticed there is a new update out now which I have not received yet, are the YouView updates done Over the Air or are they done via the broadband?
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 11:08AM
    They are done via the broadband connection, have you tried to update the box manually from the settings menu?

I feel your pain by the way, I have had IP channels infiltrate my guide and search results since moving to Plusnet. Thankfully, they haven't introduced a full skin with branding, yet...
  • Alan11Alan11 Member Posts: 13
    edited 11 August 2017, 1:15PM
    I have just tried the manual update and it says I have the latest software ( 28-26 ) so I suppose I'll have to wait. If BT have the ability to alter the program maybe it would be better getting them to rectify all irritating niggles that still exist rather than grow old waiting for YouView to do it.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,377 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 1:15PM
    Alan11 said:

I have just tried the manual update and it says I have the latest software ( 28-26 ) so I suppose I'll have to wait. If BT have the ability to alter the program maybe it would be better getting them to rectify all irritating niggles that still exist rather than grow old waiting for YouView to do it.

BT don't.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris