You View box issue again!

des jenningsdes jennings Posts: 25Member
edited 14 August 2017, 9:02AM in Support
I had issues with my You View box a few months ago and it was replaced. This is my third box in not a long time. Got home late tonight. Switched on TV and box without remote. I decided to look at the guide on the TV but there was no response using the remote. In fact there was no response from any button, although the red light on the remote worked. Is it the box again? Is it time to change provider's because I'm not sure I want a fourth box, or is it fifth?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,344Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2017, 6:13AM
    We don't seem to have ever asked you if you have a plasma TV?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • des jenningsdes jennings Posts: 25Member
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:11AM
    Hello Roy. My TV is a Sony KDL-32U2000 which has an LCD screen.
  • CegCeg Posts: 184Member
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:11AM

Hello Roy. My TV is a Sony KDL-32U2000 which has an LCD screen.

Is it possible to move the box well away from any other equipment you have just to make sure that nothing else is interfering with it?
    edited 12 August 2017, 8:29AM
    Hello. Things have moved on. I reset the box using the button at the back of the box. The TV went through the waking up procedure and the remote now works. Surely there is an underlying issue here? Should the box be permanently on? I switch the box on from the front every 12 hours or so. A Talk Talk technician mentioned to me on the phone some months ago that I reset the box often but he didn't elaborate. The box manual doesn't refer to having the box permanently on.
    edited 12 August 2017, 12:52PM
    The box should be left in Standby. Not On, nor off at the back switch or mains.

I recommend a Maintenance Mode Option 4 reset, if you have never done one. It keeps your recordings, but refreshes everything else it can refresh.

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 12 August 2017, 1:08PM
    Thanks Roy. I will try a option 4 reset.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,513Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2017, 4:27PM
    3 boxes in a short space of time is very unusual. What equipment do do have on your stack under the TV?
    edited 12 August 2017, 7:39PM
    Nothing. Occasionally a DVD player. Are these boxes not renowned for breaking down, or have things changed recently.
    edited 12 August 2017, 7:39PM

Nothing. Occasionally a DVD player. Are these boxes not renowned for breaking down, or have things changed recently.

Humax T1000s are.

Later Humaxes, with the separate power brick, are generally a lot more reliable.

TalkTalk (Huawei) boxes, it seems, are either DOA, or go on a good long time.
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    edited 13 August 2017, 11:03AM

I use to have three devices connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI (youview and two others  – hereafter known as device B & C ).  Occasionally I had a problem where if I had been using device B and just turn the TV off then the next time I came to watch anything:-  the TV &  Device B would work,   but the youview box wouldn’t work (didn’t check if device C would work). To get youview working I had to close down device B and power off / on youview box  –  it was as if device B had locked out the TV’s youview HDMI port and that had sent youview box into a twizzle (youview box just ignored remote control)   .

“Strange but true” --  (feel free to hum the tune)

I don't know if a doggy HDMI port might have the same effect

Dave

edited 13 August 2017, 11:22AM
    Thanks Dave. All seems ok with my You View box now after reset.
    edited 13 August 2017, 7:48PM
    I don't know about a doggy HDMI port, but I do know the Ethernet port needs Cat-something cabling :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,513Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 August 2017, 7:42PM
    Roy1 said:

I don't know about a doggy HDMI port, but I do know the Ethernet port needs Cat-something cabling :-)

Like a Cat Flap?
    edited 13 August 2017, 7:48PM
    Roy1 said:

Like the Reverend Spooner wore when he rode his well-boiled icicle :-)
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    edited 14 August 2017, 7:00AM

A Freudian slip, but the truth is out – the new release of youview has sent us all barking mad 

Also that should have been -  “tales of the unexpected”. perhaps they’ll do a remake “tails of the unexpected”