Sky Sports Main Event content on BT TV

VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,513Member ✭✭✭
edited 18 August 2017, 1:13PM in Discussion
It should be noted that the only sport this channel is obliged to provide to BT is the EPL, or English Premier League as is, the rest is just a lottery and full coverage not guaranteed. 
£33.50 (HD) on BT for just the 1 channel, or £8.50 on TalkTalk (SD) for all of them. Which is even better than Skys own users can get. 

Comments

• David8David8 Posts: 634Member ✭✭
    edited 16 August 2017, 8:56PM
    To be fair whilst checking the schedule across the week the content on Main Event looks ok. It seems to have a decent selection of live Sports.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,656Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2017, 3:42PM
    David8 said:

To be fair whilst checking the schedule across the week the content on Main Event looks ok. It seems to have a decent selection of live Sports.

For the casual viewer who wants PL and a bit of other things it is actually a bit of an improvement. I would count myself in that as I like a bit of PL and the F1 which at the minute is being shown. The big but is will they continue to show ALL the F1 but again at least if they do stop you only have to give 30 days notice.

Of course it would be good to have all channels but we know the story behind that and it is never likely to change.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,513Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2017, 4:31PM
    David8 said:

Hi scott & David. You both bring up some good points, however all I was gently saying is that contractually, the only coverage Sky have to provide BT with on SSME is the Premier League. The rest literally is a lottery. 
    An example would be say on a Sunday, when they could show a cricket match starting in the morning and then have to switch to the football in the afternoon. And F1 & the EPL can and often do clash on a Sunday.
    Oh and scott, when I cancelled I was asked - 'would you like 30 days cancellation notice as per contract, or would you like to cancel it now?' Which they didn't have to do. So I did it there and then. I had it on at the time and low and behold lost the picture and channel within 60 seconds. 
    edited 16 August 2017, 5:00PM
    David8 said:

I have all the Sky Sports channels and generally tend to go straight to 401 on Sky knowing most of the key events are shown on Main Event.
    edited 16 August 2017, 7:50PM
    David8 said:

There appears to be some angst among Sky Q users about how they're moving the content about.
    edited 16 August 2017, 8:23PM
    David8 said:

What content is that being moved about ?
    edited 16 August 2017, 8:25PM
    David8 said:

If I'm honest I find it no different than before , I tend to watch the Sports channels quite a lot so knowing the numbers go directly by keying number in. I do the same with the BT Sport channels.
    edited 16 August 2017, 8:42PM
    David8 said:

Sorry, you missed my point. And theirs. One only has to read the sky boards on AVF (recommended) DS or the heavily moderated Sky forum, to find out what all the angst is about.
    edited 16 August 2017, 8:56PM
    David8 said:

People don't like change just read these threads ;-)

The Sports is the same as it always has been for me 75% filler with the rest being the live content what people actually sub for. Finding it is no harder in my opinion.
    edited 16 August 2017, 9:06PM
    People [just] don't like change just read these threads ;-)
    Agreed.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,395Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 August 2017, 4:58PM
    Just looking at SS Main Event again and it is a strange proposition indeed. It is only available to Sky customers who subscribe to all the other Sports channels. But if you subscribe to all the other Sports channels it offers no unique programming whatsoever. It is almost as if it were designed specifically to accommodate Sky's uneasy relationship with BT.
    edited 17 August 2017, 6:13PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    There are 10 Sky Sports channels (available in both HD and SD depending on platform):
    • Sky Sports Main Event - for big live events across multiple sports, including Premier League and Football League footy, Test cricket and more.
    • Sky Sports Premier League - a dedicated channel with 126 live Premier League matches and football shows.
    • Sky Sports Football - another 900 live matches this season will appear here, including the EFL games, Scottish Premiership matches and others from leagues around the world.
    • Sky Sports Cricket - every home England match and domestic cricket coverage will appear here.
    • Sky Sports Golf (currently called Sky Sports The Open) - The Open Championship, US Open and many other golfing events will be on this dedicated channel.
    • Sky Sports F1 - As before, every race, qualifying and practice will be covered in full here.
    • Sky Sports Action - A new channel for all manner of different sporting activities.
    • Sky Sports Arena - WWE, NFL, boxing and much more will find this their new home.
    • Sky Sports News -  Will continue to bring up-to-the-minute sports news.
    • Sky Sports Mix - As before, will feature the best of sports not likely to appear elsewhere, plus highlights from other Sky Sports coverage.
    On the surface, it looks impressive, but most of it is whats known as 'filler' where they have to fill endless hours. Plus theres lots of repeats. It'll work for some, not for others.
    Virgin Media customers get all 10 new channels from £31.75 a month (TV only, must also take base pack).
    TalkTalk customers get eight of the channels as part of a Sky Sports bundle which starts at £28.45 a month including TV and broadband.
    BT charge from £27.50 (SD) or £33.50 in HD for only two channels - Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra, which is a spill over channel for live EPL games only (TV only, must also take broadband and phone).
    edited 18 August 2017, 1:13PM
    I believe Virgin Media have a promotion on for Sky Sports at £22 at the moment.
    edited 17 August 2017, 5:33PM
    David8 said:

In addition to what?
    edited 17 August 2017, 5:34PM
    Visionman said:

There are 10 Sky Sports channels (available in both HD and SD depending on platform):

• Sky Sports Main Event - for big live events across multiple sports, including Premier League and Football League footy, Test cricket and more.
    • Sky Sports Premier League - a dedicated channel with 126 live Premier League matches and football shows.
    • Sky Sports Football - another 900 live matches this season will appear here, including the EFL games, Scottish Premiership matches and others from leagues around the world.
    • Sky Sports Cricket - every home England match and domestic cricket coverage will appear here.
    • Sky Sports Golf (currently called Sky Sports The Open) - The Open Championship, US Open and many other golfing events will be on this dedicated channel.
    • Sky Sports F1 - As before, every race, qualifying and practice will be covered in full here.
    • Sky Sports Action - A new channel for all manner of different sporting activities.
    • Sky Sports Arena - WWE, NFL, boxing and much more will find this their new home.
    • Sky Sports Mix - As before, will feature the best of sports not likely to appear elsewhere, plus highlights from other Sky Sports coverage.
    On the surface, it looks impressive, but most of it is whats known as 'filler' where they have to fill endless hours. Plus theres lots of repeats. It'll work for some, not for others.
    Virgin Media customers get all 10 new channels from £31.75 a month (TV only, must also take base pack).
    TalkTalk customers get eight of the channels as part of a Sky Sports bundle which starts at £28.45 a month including TV and broadband.
    BT charge from £27.50 (SD) or £33.50 in HD for only two channels - Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra, which is a spill over channel for live EPL games only (TV only, must also take broadband and phone).
    Sky Sports News isn't part of Sky Sports bundles generally, bizarrely. Is that not available on BT?
    edited 17 August 2017, 5:54PM
    Visionman said:

Surprisingly, no it isn't and on Sky one has to take the Entertainment package to get it. And they now loop it (what?).
    And general opinion is that both Soccer Saturday and Soccer AM have become a poor, stale sad parody of themselves. I can confirm Soccer AM is now terrible as it had no Tim and now no Helen. I can't see too long for that show....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40864736
    edited 17 August 2017, 6:12PM
    Visionman said:

Yeah, on TalkTalk it is part of the Starter and Entertainment Boosts. But with the plethora of "new" channels on Sky Sports it is now hard to find any programming from Sky News not being carried elsewhere, somewhere.
    edited 17 August 2017, 6:13PM
    Visionman said:

Yeah, on TalkTalk it is part of the Starter and Entertainment Boosts. But with the plethora of "new" channels on Sky Sports it is now hard to find any programming from Sky Sports News not being carried elsewhere, somewhere, if you have Sky Sports generally.
    edited 17 August 2017, 8:42PM
    David8 said:

Not sure I'm afraid , just saw the promotion on a website.
    edited 17 August 2017, 8:56PM
    David8 said:

Ah, I saw a sign saying "Free beer tomorrow," unfortunately I can't remember which pub. ;)
    edited 17 August 2017, 9:35PM
    David8 said:

Whatever........crank
    edited 17 August 2017, 9:35PM
    David8 said:

Good for you.
    edited 17 August 2017, 11:15PM
    To me as things stand at the moment, TalkTalks package looks even better than Now TV, as it includes TV, line and broadband, plus recording facilities.
    BTs offering just looks poor. 
    Sky, as ever, expensive.
    Virgin Media just don't factor, and if truth be told, never do, as they are whats know as a 'static force', who move neither forwards or backwards.

I'd love to see the current YouView stats on how many now take Sky Sports across the platform, as my info's years out of date. But it was 2% on TT and 2% on BT, which then rose to 5% later on.
    Most certainly a minority.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,344Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 August 2017, 7:18AM
    David8 said:

http://uk.pcmag.com/sky-sports/82506/...
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 18 August 2017, 12:43PM
    David8 said:

Thanks Roy, very comprehensive. Although the BT costs are different from those which have been cited here, VM?

And get well soon. :)
    edited 18 August 2017, 1:13PM
    David8 said:

The prices for Sky Sports on BT have just gone up. In HD by £6.50.
    Thats a whopping £400 a year just for one channel. Hence, I cancelled.