connecting to broadband

Bec JasperBec Jasper Member Posts: 1
edited 21 August 2017, 4:40PM in Support
Probably a silly question but can I not connect to our wifi/broadband without an ethernet cable into our hub?  Trouble is the broadband hub is around 15 metres away from the tv etc. setup.  I presumed it would work like NowTV and just pickup the wifi signal?.....

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited 21 August 2017, 4:40PM
    Ethernet cable or powerline adapters.

The BT Home Hubs won't send BT subscription channels , like BT Sport over wifi anyway.
  • momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 18 August 2017, 12:29PM
    For some reason, YouView boxes don't have any WiFi.  You have to connect via an Ethernet cable, or an Ethernet cable from a powerline adapter.  The retail boxes used to come with a pair of powerline adapters provided, I don't know if they still do.  They usually cost about £25 per pair, if you shop around for them.  WiFi solutions are possible, but convoluted and unreliable from what I've read here.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,456 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 August 2017, 12:50PM
    I set up one of my retail YouView boxes on a nano router. Not too hard to do, and it's been solid as a rock ever since.

Slightly different story with BT TV, though, since as Tim C says, BT Hubs won't send multicast material over wifi.

Though I bought a Netgear Nighthawk to replace my BT router (for unrelated reasons) and it has a one-button press to configure BT TV. Though I didn't press it, as I don't have BT TV.

Then all you need is a multicast-supporting nano router correctly configured at the YouView box end...

As momist says, certainly convoluted.

PLAs are definitely your best bet.

Though I never got any with my YouView boxes - I was still using a pair left over from my BT Vision days, until we moved into this house, which is prewired for Ethernet :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 August 2017, 2:25PM
    Just to complete the picture, TalkTalk TV channels work fine when using a nano router.
    edited 18 August 2017, 2:00PM
    redchiz said:

Just to complete the picture, TalkTalk TV channels work fine when using a nano router.

So TalkTalk routers put multicast out over wifi, and it works just fine?

Good for them.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 August 2017, 2:15PM
    redchiz said:

They do indeed, even one of the OCE (staffers) on their community uses a nano router and is happy to recommend it.
    edited 18 August 2017, 2:25PM
    redchiz said:

Perhaps BT should stop thinking 'nanny' and start thinking 'nano' :-)
  • DavidBDavidB Member Posts: 69
    edited 21 August 2017, 4:10PM
    Tim C said:

The BT Home Hubs won't send BT subscription channels , like BT Sport over wifi anyway.

I don't think this is still the case, the latest firmware for the HH6(smart hub) mentions "Features enhancements for Multicast and uPNP".
    I have just bought a Wifi extender TP-Link RE210 (2.4gHz, 5gHz & 1Gbit port), set it up, connectected it to the youview box and just recorded 2 channels(Eden & Nat Geo Wild)  simultaneousely and both recorded without errors, fingers crossed for the future.(I cannot test any of the HD channels because I do not subscribe)

I also use it to increase the wifi signal to those hard to reach places behind the TV(Amazon firestick & smart TV).

If this this all continues, result a neater array of bits behind the TV.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited 21 August 2017, 4:40PM
    Tim C said:

If Bec Jasper has a Smart Hub then that could be a good solution.