Are BT DTR- T1000 users 2nd class?

Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
edited 25 August 2017, 6:43PM in Support
It's been 7 weeks since 28.26 was released to other BT users and still not any on the record hint that BT DTR- T1000 users will ever get even that update.  This does not bode well as that's just the first step on the journey to restore functionality removed earlier this year

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions?

DTR- T1000 users are the longest serving BT users yet somehow we are being treated the worst.  Is there a technical reason, is it that BT/YouView just take us for granted, is it something else?

Perhaps YouView insiders (or even better staffers) know and could please tell

Comments

• Chris LettsChris Letts Member Posts: 32
    edited 22 August 2017, 10:13AM
    Unfortunately long standing customers of any product always seem to get the worst deals, and newcomers the best. That's why it sometimes pays to cancel a subscription, then re-apply later.
    Sky in particular seem to have offered me any number of special deals since I left them for BT.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 22 August 2017, 10:28AM
    Not my experience with Sky at all. But I want a terrestrial recording capability as well.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 22 August 2017, 1:45PM
    I used to get good deals as a Sky customer. I left them for BT 4 years ago and since then Sky are constantly sending more and more deals and offers my way much better than any I ever received whilst a customer. Thing is I much prefer BT over Sky.
    As for the T1000, I wonder if it doesn't have the capability to run BT Player since the change to Next Gen software, thus no updates to add to the pressure on the box? Retail boxes not running BT Player wouldn't have this extra load to worry about.
    Just my humble thoughts guys, I could be wrong, the wife says I'm usually wrong anyway.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2017, 1:55PM
    The thing is Robert that a retail box on a BT line would be running the BT Player anyway, my retail T1000 is running the latest software including powering TalkTalk TV quite happily on the latest software.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:06PM
    Steve K>
    "It's been 7 weeks since 28.26 was released to other BT users and still not any on the record hint that BT DTR- T1000 users will ever get even that update.  This does not bode well as that's just the first step on the journey to restore functionality removed earlier this year"
    Hi Steve, you would need to ask this question directly on the BT Community Forum, as YouView can't answer questions on behalf of another company/provider.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 August 2017, 5:45PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>
    "It's been 7 weeks since 28.26 was released to other BT users and still not any on the record hint that BT DTR- T1000 users will ever get even that update.  This does not bode well as that's just the first step on the journey to restore functionality removed earlier this year"
    Hi Steve, you would need to ask this question directly on the BT Community Forum, as YouView can't answer questions on behalf of another company/provider.

Yes I could and may do but I asked it here as it's a YouView web page I was referring to

I suspect there may be a bit of YouView says ask BT and BT says ask YouView fun and games yet to come.  
    edited 22 August 2017, 6:03PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

No. Its down to BT, as only they are responsible for their own services and updates.
    YouView (directly) only provide updates for non-ISP badged retail boxes.
    Its certainly a strange one...
    edited 22 August 2017, 10:02PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

I understand that's your belief but it's interesting that no YouView staff are making the position clear on this forum
    edited 22 August 2017, 10:23PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

You choose to attack me for replying. Now that I find interesting.
    edited 22 August 2017, 10:24PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Why would they do that? Speak on behalf of BT, I mean?
    edited 22 August 2017, 11:55PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

I can concur with Visionman that BT have the final say on what is or what is not provided in updates to their supplied boxes. Youview are responsible for testing the software etc but ultimately BT handle what content gets included and the timings of said updates. Youview cannot answer for BT, and if BT tell you to ask Youview, then inform them that they've been passing the buck. The ball in this case is in BT's court.
    edited 22 August 2017, 11:57PM
    redchiz said:

The thing is Robert that a retail box on a BT line would be running the BT Player anyway, my retail T1000 is running the latest software including powering TalkTalk TV quite happily on the latest software.

I wasn't sure if the retail box was actually running BT Player or not. I only have a BT box (T2100).
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2017, 7:24AM
    redchiz said:

'Running' is a moot point.

The BT Player is present on my retail T2000, even though I don't have BT TV, purely because I have BT as my ISP (Grrrr).

And I can go into it. But any attempt to use it fails, naturally, with BT prompting me to subscribe.

So it never generates anything like the processing load on my box that it does for an actual BT TV subscriber.

So how do we define 'running' here?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 23 August 2017, 8:43AM
    redchiz said:

That was my intended point on my initial post. Although it is present on the menu doesn't mean it will actually work if accessed. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a BT sub and can test BT Player to see if it may be sluggish etc in operation. This would give a better indication if indeed the T1000 may not be up to meeting the demands of an in use Player.
    edited 23 August 2017, 8:48AM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Visionman: "Why would they do that? Speak on behalf of BT, I mean?"

Not asking them to.  YouView have a web page that declares that they rolled out 27.50 to DTRT-1000s and 28.26 to other boxes (indeed 28.35 to some non BT ones)  It is for YouView to explain why they rolled out X but not Y.  They don't actually have to mention BT do they.

And as per my OP maybe there is a technical reason.  YouView could easily say yes or no to that couldn't they
    edited 23 August 2017, 1:13PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

Steve K, you should not mistake the Latest Box Versions for any sort of thing as to what YouView have rolled out, beyond the Humax Retail entries.

The other entries, for BT, TalkTalk and PlusNet, cover what those three ISPs, respectively, have rolled out to the boxes under their control.

But it has been suggested above that you contact BT; why do you display such curious reluctance to simply contact your own ISP and enquire about the lack of progress in updating the box you have your BT TV subscription on?

Anything else rather just goes to prove my point that you are more interested in taking a pop at YouView, even if you have to invent spurious grounds for doing so, don't you think?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2017, 1:56PM
    redchiz said:

It would be nice if a BT user could chip in to that effect. I would hope that the T1000 is no less capable of dealing with BT TV as it is with TalkTalk TV, as I have confirmed it can, I am scratching my head to think why a software update would suddenly change this capability.
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:04PM
    Steve K, thats three users who have now informed you BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet, et al, all update their own boxes. I am in fact shocked that you claim you don't know this, as you used to be a prolific poster on the BT forum (all complaints, of course) and so should have read enough posts about it both on there and here.
    Or there is another possibility... That your now deliberately coming on here for one-on-ones with this forums community members to argue black is white and white is black. If so, theres a name for that. :(
    edited 23 August 2017, 7:27PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K, thats three users who have now informed you BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet, et al, all update their own boxes. I am in fact shocked that you claim you don't know this, as you used to be a prolific poster on the BT forum (all complaints, of course) and so should have read enough posts about it both on there and here.
    Or there is another possibility... That your now deliberately coming on here for one-on-ones with this forums community members to argue black is white and white is black. If so, theres a name for that. :(

Can you please point me to a statement by a YouView staffer on here to that effect

Won't hold my breath
    edited 23 August 2017, 8:50PM
    Further to the Opening Post I should add that I received an email from YouView today (ie after this thread was started).  I won't copy and paste email text but this were the salient points

- confirmation DTRT-1000 boxes are at the back of the queue for any updates they may (or may not) get
    - not saying that this was all down to BT

So I am fair to ask on the YouView forum why this is so and expect a YouView staffer posting as a YouView staffer to respond to the OP.
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:02PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

I say again why is it that no YouView staffer posting as a YouView staffer is saying this

Look again at https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions?

Does it anywhere refer to "information supplied by BT" ? No, so we know the information on that page is sourced by YouView so the default is it is YouView that are the people determining that BT DTRT-1000 boxes are at the back of the queue

A strong possibility is YouView do not have a tested version of 28.26 for the DTRT-1000/80B08500 combination for BT to roll out because YouView have placed that low on their list of priorities (remember they make money selling new boxes not fixing functional degrades on legacy boxes)

Whatever YouView communicating as YouView either need to explain the information conveyed by their own web page or sort out what is causing the situation.
    edited 23 August 2017, 10:06PM
    Visionman said:

You live in a Fantasy Land....
    Although there is one way to clear this up and nail it. Just ask BT. 
    But as pointed out above, you seem to be reluctant to do so or are just unable to (which raises the question why?). 
    To nail this definitively, BTs number from a BT landline is 150, 8am to 8pm. Or from a mobile 0800 800 150.
    If you don't do the above, your intentions on this forum and to its community's members will become clear.... I hope you ring the number.
    edited 23 August 2017, 8:49PM
    Visionman said:

Perhaps you could actually try obeying the forum rules.  Try it just for a day, it won't hurt you and who knows maybe you could make it a permanent habit

There is strong evidence that the bottleneck is YouView not BT.  And as already posted in reply to Roy, it is for YouView to clarify on this forum their position .  Something they appear to be very reluctant to do.  Sus isn't it.

IF what you say is true all it would take is a YouView staffer posting as a YouView staffer to post that the update is ready and BT will determine when it is rolled out.

Perhaps you could point me to a post by a YouView staffer posting as a staffer to that effect.  Or indeed a post by such to the effect that the roll outs are run by BT. 

Until they do these questions are not going to go away much though you try to flame me off this forum for pointing out the awkward facts and asking awkward questions.  It is the forum YouView say is provided for comments and questions. 
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2017, 11:57PM
    Visionman said:

BT test and control the rollout to thier boxes, YouView cannot commence rollout till BT agree they can. YouView can not also specifically say an update is ready to roll out to any BT box because again BT do thier own testing and only they can say if they are happy with the testing to commence rollout. Therefore only BT can answer your question. Again though BT will not confirm anything till they 100% certain and at that point it would probably be rolling out anyway.
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:06PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K>

I think the popular expression is 'barking up the wrong tree'.....
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:13PM
    Furthermore if anyone reads the YouView announcement of 28.26 for BT boxes here https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-update-28-26-0

It is very clear that YouView whose copyright symbol is at the bottom of the page are the ones making the pronouncements as who does and who does not get the 28.26 update

AND that regarding feedback they would like customers to  "Let us know on our community forum"

edited 23 August 2017, 9:29PM
    http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/get-re...

contains:-

How do I get the update?

Your box will automatically get the update overnight, we're updating all customer boxes gradually so don’t worry if you've not got it right away. Remember to leave your box plugged in, on standby and connected to your home hub to get the update.

My emphasis on the "we're" in this official BT announcement. 'We' being BT; not YouView, nor YouView and BT together.

It is a matter of record that BT serve the updates to BT boxes from their own BT server, not from a YouView server these days.

This may explain why YouView are silent on this matter; it is not for YouView to explain or comment on BT's rollout strategy.
    edited 23 August 2017, 9:51PM
    Steve K>
    "Perhaps you could actually try obeying the forum rules.  Try it just for a day, it won't hurt you and who knows maybe you could make it a permanent habit"
    By ignoring four replies from four very knowledgeable people on here, your intentions have now become clear. And as with the BT Community forum, on which you no longer post, you attack the poster and not the opinion. Or as on here, just choose to ignore them. Thats not good, as everyone on here is here to help and inform. Which are all forums intention.
    edited 23 August 2017, 10:03PM
    But just now you were describing my brief time on that forum as "prolific"   I'll post there if and when I see fit, it's hardly an active forum and seems to be populated by too many posters who think "just go to Sky then" is an intelligent reply

Perhaps instead of making up stories as to my intentions here you could actually read my posts which cover far wider than the Next Gen and fixes for Next Gen issues.  

However when you and others have attacked me for using the forums for the purpose for which they were intended I may comment back in response.  I understand that you wish to victim blame but such is hardly a mature approach

I have asked a fair question in this thread and while I respect the knowledge that you and others have I have to point out that you are not YouView Staffers posting as YouView Staffers.  Your posts about the workings of YouView and BT are but  conjecture.  It is very sus that YouView will not comment.

Anyway like it or not this forum has been designated by YouView as THE place for feedback on YouView.  I understand that for much time it was used by those interested in seeing the product developed further - nothing wrong in that -  but it is also the designated place for those YouView users who
    a) have had their machines functionally degraded without warning or consent
    b) are concerned that the rate of progress in restoring functionality is treacle in the Artic like in its flow
    AND
    c) (as in this thread) that the most loyal users are being selectively treated the worst 

I suggest again that you start discussing points raised and replies to points raised.
    edited 23 August 2017, 10:37PM
    Roy: "It is a matter of record that BT serve the updates to BT boxes from their own BT server, not from a YouView server these days."

Please can you say where this record is.  I have quoted YouView on the record web pages that very much infer the opposite.  And if it is as you say then YouView are to say the least unwise to publish such records suggesting the ball is in their court

And I repeat we have nothing to say YouView have even developed anything for the DTR-T1000 / 80B08500 configuration.  Until we know whether they have there is no point asking BT whether they are dilly dallying about rolling it our