rip my t1000

davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
 I see the latest bt software is 29.27.0 mine is still 27.50,0 can I take it that ,that's as far as the t1000 will be updated ?I thought the new software was for all bt get your finger out

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Youview have not made any announcements and you do have a version of next generation on your box. You don't know if youview are going to update from 27.50.0 and it would be pointless for anyone to speculate. Youview don't normally announce updates or anything else until there ready.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 October 2017, 9:23AM
    davidw said:

I see the latest BT software is 29.27.0 mine is still 27.50.0 can I take it that that's as far as the T1000 will be updated ? I thought the new software was for all BT; get your finger out
    The YouView announcement of 29.27.0 for BT boxes clearly showed which models it would be available for, and the T1000 was not on that list.

I cannot speak to your extrapolation from this, though.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38

Thanks for the reply so that is as far as the updates for the t1000 will go  is that youview or just bt ?

edited 25 October 2017, 10:50PM
    davidw said:

Thanks for the reply so that is as far as the updates for the t1000 will go  is that youview or just bt ?

As above, you are adding two and two, and getting three  :#

Neither YouView nor BT has said that development for the T1000 has stopped; and if they did, with NextGen so incomplete on it, I think I would be among the hordes besieging YouView Towers, banging on the great doors and demanding my T1000 be restored to its fully functioning OldGen state  :o
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

My maths was never that good but the fact that  you say

"The YouView announcement of 29.27.0 for BT boxes clearly showed which models it would be available for, and the T1000 was not on that list."

and the fact that it has been stuck on 27.50,0 for what seems to be weeks leads me to believe the t1000 is not high on any ones to do list still fingers crossed imo you had better start banging

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    T1000s were first introduced in 2012, so to say some are still going today, with they being first generation kit, is some feat. Whilst there have been no announcements about further future updates, YouView have said they will continue to be supported.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    davidw said:

My maths was never that good but the fact that  you say

"The YouView announcement of 29.27.0 for BT boxes clearly showed which models it would be available for, and the T1000 was not on that list."

and the fact that it has been stuck on 27.50,0 for what seems to be weeks leads me to believe the t1000 is not high on any ones to do list still fingers crossed imo you had better start banging

The whole situation is both mystifying and frustrating

If you look at this thread https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7578259/are-bt-dtr-t1000-users-2nd-class/p1 you will see this on the record comment on August 25th by Phil of YouView

Hi Steve K, 
    To address one of your earlier queries, we endeavor to develop and release software together with BT so that it is available across all box types as soon as possible. In this instance no box type has been prioritised over another one.
    As mentioned before, the focus for ourselves and BT is that the software made available has the right level of performance and improvements, and this goes for each of the different models available.
    In this instance there might be a delay for the BT1000 customers to get the update, but as soon as it's available we will let you know.

Now there have been many here that have said it is all BT's fault but since we know that YouView develop the software and as above they apparently share doubts that they then had software that meets "the right level of performance and improvements" on a DTRT-1000 then you may actually be correctly adding 2 and 2

28.26 was first announced nearly 4 months ago, no one can deny there is an issue.  That 2 months have passed since Phil said there would be a delay suggests he might have better said it would be a long while. 

The proper cause of action here would be for BT and YouView making a joint public statement emailed to all those they know have DTRT-1000s  offering either replacement boxes or a revert back to Old Gen until they have resolved their issue.

I doubt that will happen so in practice I suggest you contact BT, tell them you require a replacement box NOW.  It's worked for many

(That said, if you see the Live Pause thread be careful what you wish for)

BT Retail T1000s are on the exact same ongoing upgrade rollout as BT Retail T2110s and T2210s.

Whatever reason BT TV T1000s are still on 27.50.0 therefore, seems to be to do with the demands placed on them by the BT TV service.

If BT will replace the T1000 of a user still on a BT TV subscription over legitimate concerns of why it is not keeping up with the more modern boxes, irrespective of what the reasons may be, my advice is go for it, even if only on grounds of hardware reliability.

Those who are stuck with a BT TV T1000 out of subscription perhaps do not have this option (though you could always be cheeky and ask, or perhaps return to the fold).

Those who have acquired one of these via the many ‘grey’ channels will perhaps have to be more muted in their response.

I am reserving judgement about my Retail T1000 not getting the latest release (though it is still beyond where many BT Retail T1000s have yet to reach) for the moment. But I am looking up mailed gloves on Amazon  :p
    I like my t1000 but me thinks I will be looking for a new box soon I think the lack of the update does not bode well for the t1000 .The box was off a well known auction site so I don't think bt will be in a rush to change it even so weather its a bt or retail box an update is an update I assume the insides are all the same .Someone at youview imo should be having a word with bt 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    For those out of contract, BT T2100s can be picked up new for £125, or used from £65.
    For those on a BT landline, its actually cheaper to just re-contract. But don't do it online. Ring them up and haggle as BT are very flexible where obtaining new customers is concerned.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2017, 11:19AM
    Why waste a perfectly good PVR?

If a lack of software/firmware updates meant that a PVR should be laid to rest, then many would go straight from their box to the re-cycling centre.

Our two year old Panasonic has received no updates, but I have no intention of abandoning it.

On the other hand, our almost five year old BT T1000 YouView box has received several updates. It is now running software based on the latest platform, HTML5, which we are informed is more secure than the original Flash based platform. The box seems to be faster and more responsive to the remote than it was previously. A few features have disappeared, but they are of little consequence for me.  All the basic functions of the box work as they should and it is easy to work-around the missing features.

It is astonishing that our five year old box is working as well as it does and it has the latest version of the software that has been made available for it.

Well done the YouView team.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    jonesh said:
    Why waste a perfectly good PVR? . . . . .

A 'perfectly good PVR' would have jump to play point functionality
    Steve K said:
    jonesh said:
    Why waste a perfectly good PVR? . . . . .

A 'perfectly good PVR' would have jump to play point functionality
    In your opinion. A feature list is a objective subject. You could ask a 1000 different people what they expect from a PVR and you would probably get a 1000 different answers. 
    Youview also is not the only PVR without this feature. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 31 October 2017, 1:39PM
    How refreshing to read such an open minded post @jonesh
    I think sometimes we are too quick to point out the negatives and not take enough time to appreciate the positives in life. As has been said, yes we do all have our wishlists, but the bottom line is the boxes (all versions) work perfectly well for viewing and recording tv and giving us access to various players and apps. There are things I'd love to see re-introduced also but it doesn't spoil my overall enjoyment of what my box does give me.
    Again @jonesh I tip my hat to you for your refreshing outlook on your particular box. Maybe we should all take a leaf out of your book today.
    I have a DigitalStream PVR which is three years older than the YouView box, and still going strong. No updates, and no internet capabilities, but it is what it is. And, perhaps importantly, it is what it was.

My T1000 isn’t what it was, though; but the journey it and I have gone on with YouView into NextGen had the promise that it would be, pretty much, at a later point on this journey.

And I hope it still will; boarding, so to speak, the Edinburgh train in London, I don’t want to hear the attendant calling ‘Right, you T1000 ticket holders, all off at the next stop’ just before we reach Manchester  :'(
    Roy said:
    ‘Right, you T1000 ticket holders, all off at the next stop’ just before we reach Manchester  :'(
    When I was toying with the idea of my above post yesterday evening, I checked the software version of out T1000. It was 27.50.0 as expected, but when I tried a manual update I noticed that the message had changed. Instead of the usual "You have the latest version of the software", it said something like "We are unable to update your box's software".

Ominous?
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    ‘Right, you T1000 ticket holders, all off at the next stop’ just before we reach Manchester  :'(
    When I was toying with the idea of my above post yesterday evening, I checked the software version of out T1000. It was 27.50.0 as expected, but when I tried a manual update I noticed that the message had changed. Instead of the usual "You have the latest version of the software", it said something like "We are unable to update your box's software".

Ominous?
    Have you retried it was probably a issue with your internet.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2017, 6:31PM
    jonesh said:

Ominous?
    Not necessarily, it appears to be a bug across devices whereby the message is there, but the underlying software updates do take place. If I was good at searching I'd find a reference ....

EDIT: Just realised I misread/understood and thought the reference was to updating players, @Sarah please bring back the delete post option!
    Thanks chaps. I remain optimistic.
    redchiz said:
    @Sarah please bring back the delete post option!
    You can edit down to one character.
    Yeah I know, not quite the same is it?
    No, but I try to make do with what I've got. I would like to add one of those silly faces, but I don't know what's what. :'(
    Touché. And clearly you do.  ;)

Good post btw.
    Roy said:
    I have a DigitalStream PVR which is three years older than the YouView box, and still going strong. No updates, and no internet capabilities, but it is what it is. And, perhaps importantly, it is what it was.

My T1000 isn’t what it was, though; but the journey it and I have gone on with YouView into NextGen had the promise that it would be, pretty much, at a later point on this journey.

And I hope it still will; boarding, so to speak, the Edinburgh train in London, I don’t want to hear the attendant calling ‘Right, you T1000 ticket holders, all off at the next stop’ just before we reach Manchester  :'(
    That is a really strange and strained set of comparators you have going there, a PVR with no updates and no other capabilities vs another with many, come on Roy. My T1000 isn't what it was either, it is far better, amazing for a 5 year old machine.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2017, 7:31PM
    redchiz said:
    jonesh said:

Ominous?
    Not necessarily, it appears to be a bug across devices whereby the message is there, but the underlying software updates do take place. If I was good at searching I'd find a reference ....

EDIT: Just realised I misread/understood and thought the reference was to updating players, @Sarah please bring back the delete post option!
    @redchiz

Sarah's advice was to edit your post down to one character and then use the "Flag" function to report the post, and she would then remove it for you.

Hope this helps.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Anaglypta said:
    redchiz said:
    jonesh said:

Ominous?

@redchiz

Sarah's advice was to edit your post down to one character and then use the "Flag" function to report the post, and she would then remove it for you.

Hope this helps.

John.
    Thanks, I must have missed that, link?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @redchiz

Here you go, it's buried about two thirds of the way down the post.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Cheers. :star:
    redchiz said:
    That is a really strange and strained set of comparators you have going there, a PVR with no updates and no other capabilities vs another with many, come on Roy. My T1000 isn't what it was either, it is far better, amazing for a 5 year old machine.
    Somebody - you? Visionman? Somebody else? - always used to produce the mantra, whenever we complained about some wanted feature not materialising in YouView’s upgrade path, that they bought to box for what it was, not for what it could be.

But now the box is no longer what it was, I haven’t seen this mantra lately.

But my point above was not to compare the two boxes on feature sets. It was to compare them on constancy, where the DigitalVision has held up, and the T1000 has, besides going some way forwards, taken a great leap backwards with NextGen, and is only now inching its way forwards again. Which I devoutly hope it will continue to do

Though I do think it is very odd that BT don’t seem to be able to get its subscription T1000s to do what they did before perfectly well on the supposedly more demanding CurrentGen, so I think there is more than just T1000s running out of puff going on here.
    @Roy I thought that "mantra" was yours! :)

I agree that the somewhat stripped bare version of NextGen when it first arrived came as a bit of a shock. But it is difficult to move forward and remain consistent with the past, some might argue that it is not even desirable. Now that many improvements have been made (restorations if you prefer, I don't want to be pedantic about this) I find the T1000 to be better than it ever was. YMMV and clearly does, but that is no more than a matter of opinion.

As far as BT are concerned I too am puzzled, I wonder perhaps whether they would simply prefer no longer to have to support changes to the T1000 in favour of their more recent array of boxes, thus leaving YouView and their commitment that no box is left behind somewhat high and dry.