DTR-T2100 permanently accessing internet, I think!

2»

Comments

• Sarah & everyone else,
    Thanks for the info.
    In other words, I was right when I said that the T2100 seems to be accessing t'internet all the time. It's perhaps unfortunate that my ancient, obsolescent PLA's have data lights on them as otherwise I would never have known. It's also pleasing to note that it doesn't count towards my usage - not that it matters being on unlimited bandwidth.
    Interestingly, I don't have BT Sport having dropped it last year when BT started charging for it. In fact, it was touch and go last February as to whether or not I kept the BT entertainment package and it was only what I now know to be duff information by the BT sales person that made me keep it.
    So, what to do for the future. Switch it off except when using the box? Cancel the subscription in February? It does seem rather expensive to have something that we seldom use. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Once again, many thanks to all who responded.

Signing out,

CaptainMintMan.
  • CegCeg Posts: 184Member
     As a matter of interest, Mozilla have recently upgraded Firefox. And again, I've lost what I had before. Why can't "they" leave things alone?
    On the Firefox thing, you may want to have a look at Waterfox, it's a fork of Firefox and has the 'older' look.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,597Member ✭✭✭
    Ah, change, don't we all love it? I wonder on the other hand where we would be without it?

• CegCeg Posts: 184Member
    redchiz said:
    Ah, change, don't we all love it? I wonder on the other hand where we would be without it?

With a box with the same functionality as a year ago! :)
    And Flash-based. :o
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,852Member ✭✭✭
    Most people hate change.
    When it was first proposed TV should be introduced to colour, the question was asked "Why? You can still see the picture."
    Excuse me? I was saying shh, I'm trying to listen to the wireless.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 721Member ✭✭✭
    What's new in Firefox Quantum, if anyone wants to know.  :)

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/57.0/releasenotes/?utm_campaign=whatsnew

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Don't talk to me about Quantum, John. I've never seen it so it doesn't exist!
    What's new in Firefox Quantum is not bad, but at the expense of a removal of lot of good old stuff. Sounds familiar? As for Googleman, why ask him?  ;)
    Visionman said:
    If you wan't my opinion, Firefox is dead, but then again..........
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,174Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 November 2017, 1:25AM
    I can't remember where, but I read that this is a good substitute for the old Firefox:

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

It won't run on my ancient computer, but it might be worth a try.
    edited 26 November 2017, 1:58AM
    Anaglypta said:
    Visionman said:

Err... that was a quantum physics joke dealing with Schroeder's cat (sorry).
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,049Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:

The other hand being the left hand?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,049Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 November 2017, 9:11AM
    Visionman said:

I think Schroeder had a piano, not a cat  :p

But the spirit of Schroedinger’s cat lives on in the T1000, where you never quite know until you switch it on whether it is dead or alive in there.....  o:) >:)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Visionman said:
    Anaglypta said:
    Visionman said:

Maybe my riposte was too subtle.
    If you wan't my opinion, Firefox is dead, but then again..........I haven't opened the box

John.
  • StompaStompa Posts: 38Member
    I have a BT T2100 (v29.58.0), BT broadband (but not a BT TV subscriber), connected to the internet via TP-Link PLAs. I've had this setup for a couple of years, and normally there is barely any network traffic except when viewing programmes from the internet.

In the last few days though that has changed, and there is now constant traffic (as indicated by continually flickering LEDs on the PLAs) whenever the box is switched on. On standby there is barely any. On switching from on to standby this constant network traffic continues for around 5 minutes before stopping.

I can't help wondering if this started when the BT colour change happened a short while back, perhaps they instigated some other changes at the same time?

2»