BT and Sky wholesale arrangements for 2019

13»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,824 ✭✭✭
    Sounds quite grim. Maybe you should start another thread about it?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Sounds quite grim. Maybe you should start another thread about it?
    No thanks. This one seems right on topic to me.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 December 2017, 9:33AM

@Roy You seem to take a strange slant on all this. The quad play deal is Phone, TV, Broadband and Mobile. Out of all the companies BT is best placed for this and this is what it will play on (and take YouView along with it). What the question should be is why would you not choose BTTV. My box gives my recordable, 4K Sports, easy access to all catch-up (easily straight from the guide), Netflix, Now TV movies etc content included in a universal search, an App that gives me remote view and ability to watch my purchases/IP channels/Catch-up remotely, AMC exclusive content.

If the full NowTV is added and of course Amazon would be nice it becomes a very good all in one box solution. Therefore how does YouView become such a laggard compared to other STB's.

There is always choice and always has been if you are prepared to do the leg work you can always get some good deals and smart TV's offer distinct services but usually without recording. There is always progression (BT and YouView have been leading the way in 4K and ATMOS and the other boxes have only just caught up with this). I still think YouView with BT pushing is close to the front and will move forward again next year (I know catching up with multi room is a big focus for next year and I would expect to see HDR implemented fairly quickly).

This certainly seems to be a better deal for BT than it is for Sky, given that Sky will be gaining one BT Sport channel only, whilst BT will be gaining access to 10 Sky Sports channels (on a par with TalkTalk), all its entertainment channels plus for the first time ever, Sky Atlantic.
    But I can't see a lot of people going for it. As the majority of people who want such fare just get Sky....
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Where have you got this from VM as I'm having trouble finding this information on the internet.
    edited 20 December 2017, 12:58PM
    scott said:

@Roy You seem to take a strange slant on all this. The quad play deal is Phone, TV, Broadband and Mobile. Out of all the companies BT is best placed for this and this is what it will play on (and take YouView along with it). What the question should be is why would you not choose BTTV. My box gives my recordable, 4K Sports, easy access to all catch-up (easily straight from the guide), Netflix, Now TV movies etc content included in a universal search, an App that gives me remote view and ability to watch my purchases/IP channels/Catch-up remotely, AMC exclusive content.

If the full NowTV is added and of course Amazon would be nice it becomes a very good all in one box solution. Therefore how does YouView become such a laggard compared to other STB's.

There is always choice and always has been if you are prepared to do the leg work you can always get some good deals and smart TV's offer distinct services but usually without recording. There is always progression (BT and YouView have been leading the way in 4K and ATMOS and the other boxes have only just caught up with this). I still think YouView with BT pushing is close to the front and will move forward again next year (I know catching up with multi room is a big focus for next year and I would expect to see HDR implemented fairly quickly).

@scott

I will freely admit that my wife and I are largely sport-blind. Given this, the mishmash of remaining BT channels doesn’t look all that different to the wasteland that is the middle tens on Freeview, largely, and so is nothing we would want to spend any money on.

And we have no interest being tied to BT Mobile, even with its special deals for subscribers.

So BT for us is a dual play at best - phone and broadband - and we will anyway be off as soon as someone other than BT can offer us decent broadband where we live, which no one but BT can do, at present, as nobody LLUs on our local exchange  :'(

And yes, the YouView box is a fine recorder, and once its blend of this and catchup was a compelling USP, but with Freeview Play out there now, this is no longer the case.

But my main point is that where YouView thought it was going, and where BT thought it was going with it, have been blind-sided by the new triple-play of content providers, Netflix, NowTV, and Amazon Video.

Of which YouView can offer one-and-a-third of the three. As you say, if YouView can provide all of NowTV, and Amazon Video, YouView would be a very good one-box solution.

If.

Come back if and when it does, and we can debate again; and again if and when it adds YouTube, to be truly fully rounded.

As for YouView’s recording capability, we still need our box for this. But once the channels fix the absurd nonsense where you can go into Homes Under The Hammer, say, at one minute to eleven, and watch the whole thing from the start, and yet at one minute past eleven, you have to wait until about three-thirty before the episode becomes available on catchup, this will lessen in importance.

And lessen even more, when more is available on catchup, and for longer.

i was going to say it’s still good for skipping adverts, but as long as it blots out the solution to the Countdown Conundrums as you exit each ad break, it isn’t.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2017, 12:33AM
    Visionman said:
    This certainly seems to be a better deal for BT than it is for Sky, given that Sky will be gaining one BT Sport channel only, whilst BT will be gaining access to 10 Sky Sports channels (on a par with TalkTalk), all its entertainment channels plus for the first time ever, Sky Atlantic.
    But I can't see a lot of people going for it. As the majority of people who want such fare just get Sky....
    I don't know where you're getting your information from but that is not what BT have put out in their statement.
    Taken from here http://home.bt.com/news/bt-life/bt-and-sky-agree-supply-of-market-leading-tv-channels-on-each-others-platforms-11364237076521 it states (I've highlighted the relevant parts in bold) "At the same time, BT has agreed to wholesale its BT Sport channels to Sky, allowing Sky to sell these channels directly to Sky satellite customers. The BT Sport channels include exclusively live UEFA Champions League and Premier League football. This will mean that satellite customers will be able to buy BT Sport from Sky as well as from BT".
    @Daniel @Visionman
    Robert said:
    Visionman said:
    I don't know where you're getting your information from but that is not what BT have put out in their statement.
    Taken from here http://home.bt.com/news/bt-life/bt-and-sky-agree-supply-of-market-leading-tv-channels-on-each-others-platforms-11364237076521 it states (I've highlighted the relevant parts in bold) "At the same time, BT has agreed to wholesale its BT Sport channels to Sky, allowing Sky to sell these channels directly to Sky satellite customers. The BT Sport channels include exclusively live UEFA Champions League and Premier League football. This will mean that satellite customers will be able to buy BT Sport from Sky as well as from BT".
    @Daniel @Visionman

Hi @Robert

Is it possible that Visionman read the first sentence in the material at the link you posted, and the amplification of it that follows?
    Indeed so and I'm in error from the public announcement. Sorry guys.
    In regard to this new agreement, this statement from BTs managing director of content and strategy reveals a lot -
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/quick_fire_questions/sharing-content-why-bt-and-sky-agreed-their-new-pay-tv-partnership
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2017, 10:51PM
    Visionman said:
    In regard to this new agreement, this statement from BTs managing director of content and strategy reveals a lot -
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/quick_fire_questions/sharing-content-why-bt-and-sky-agreed-their-new-pay-tv-partnership
    What a load of PR drivel, this is the only telling point:

"... the collaboration can help the traditional subscription broadcasters against the looming threat of new digital rivals with seemingly bottomless pockets "     

I actually agree with you as BT aren't a 'traditional broadcaster'. They are one of the new digital breed!
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    I actually agree with you as BT aren't a 'traditional broadcaster'. They are one of the new digital breed!
    Ha, you think, cool!
  • Either Andy Haworth is deluded or he hasn't thought this whole thing through. He says "On the BT TV side, it is clearly a great win for our customers. For the first time, our customers will be able to get all of Sky’s content: including all 11 Sky Sports channels; all of their entertainment channels, including Sky Atlantic.... This closes that gap and makes BT TV probably the most complete platform in the marketplace in the UK today, which is great news for our customers"
    I think he'll find it will be Sky trumpeting that they are the most complete platform seeing as they'll now be able to sell BT Sports at a price which suits them and can of course shout from the rooftops that theres is the only platform where you can record all of the available content. It's ok for BT to have all the Sky Sports channels and Atlantic etc but it will still only be available via the Now TV app which doesn't quite match the advantages of linear tv.
    I sadly fear BT are going to lose out big time if they fully implement this deal as is. The only thing that could save them is if they sell the Now TV packages for peanuts.
    I hope I'm proved wrong as I have a definite dislike of the Sky company and would like to see BT working this around to their advantage.
  • I rather think the 'new digital breed' they are referring to are the likes of Amazon etc.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Robert said:

I think he'll find it will be Sky trumpeting that they are the most complete platform seeing as they'll now be able to sell BT Sports at a price which suits them and can of course shout from the rooftops that theres is the only platform where you can record all of the available content. It's ok for BT to have all the Sky Sports channels and Atlantic etc but it will still only be available via the Now TV app which doesn't quite match the advantages of linear tv.

Am I right in thinking that BT are not sharing the AMC channel as part of the deal, in so doing keeping some channel exclusivity, whereas Sky through the NowTV platform, are making all of their channels available to BTTV users including Sky Atlantic?
    Good point about the ability to record linear channels. Sport fans will definitely want the ability to record. Who knows maybe BT/Youview have brokered an agreement with SKY to make the Nowtv linear channels recordable on Youview? Youview could do with a strong  USP for selling NowTV on the platform.
    Robert said:
    Either Andy Haworth is deluded or he hasn't thought this whole thing through. He says "On the BT TV side, it is clearly a great win for our customers. For the first time, our customers will be able to get all of Sky’s content: including all 11 Sky Sports channels; all of their entertainment channels, including Sky Atlantic.
    Apologies for my earlier post. I'd rather jumped the gun. But now Andy Haworth has confirmed it. They have a year to prepare for it. Not that I think it will do either of them any good in the face of even further new competition, in the form of both decent and cheap [other] OTT providers. Ultimately only time will tell...

• No need for an apology @Visionman. I think we're all trying to get our heads around the intricacies of this deal. 
    Both Sky and BT are going to have to price these 'new' packages very carefully if they are to fight off the challenges being presented by Netflix/Amazon etc.

@Joe You'd be correct in assuming AMC is not being shared (or at least it hasn't been mentioned in any press releases I've seen as yet).
    I can see BT trialling a new Now TV app unique to their platform and who knows what might be possible with it. I for one record a lot of the live football on BT Sport for later viewing so I'd definitely want the ability to record Sky's sports channels (should I decide to take them out).
    Visionman said:
    Robert said:
    Either Andy Haworth is deluded or he hasn't thought this whole thing through. He says "On the BT TV side, it is clearly a great win for our customers. For the first time, our customers will be able to get all of Sky’s content: including all 11 Sky Sports channels; all of their entertainment channels, including Sky Atlantic.
    Apologies for my earlier post. I'd rather jumped the gun. But now Andy Haworth has confirmed it. They have a year to prepare for it. Not that I think it will do either of them any good in the face of even further new competition, in the form of both decent and cheap [other] OTT providers. Ultimately only time will tell...

@Visionman

Isn’t that much of what I was saying above, in my posting that you suggested was ‘grim’ and perhaps ‘off-topic’, and @scott thought was taking a ‘strange slant’?

But Andy Howarth’s remarks don’t make much sense to me unless you (and he) regard BT TV as a ‘traditional subscription broadcaster’, and not as one of the ‘new digital rivals with bottomless pockets’.

Having said which, as one of those, he is doing what I think is the very best thing BT TV can do, even if, as he skirts round in the interview, he is now uncomfortably aware that quad play is a two-edged sword, with their content successfully making their broadband ‘sticky’ for those who take it up, but equally cutting BT off from all the people who don’t.

So now they are trying to square that circle; which means that BT need to go OTT, in effect, just as Sky have done so successfully with NowTV, reaching out to non-Sky customers without cannibalising their core offering.

But reading between the lines, Sky and BT have both realised there is no point in enriching the sports bodies by battling each other over rights, and that they are now both apprehensive about the OTT providers coming into these auctions, with their ‘bottomless pockets’.

How paradoxical, and yet so logical, to see these two erstwhile rivals realising the need to band together - however arm’s-length they make it look - against the real threat from the OTT upstarts.

edited 21 December 2017, 11:25AM

I still can't see these 'Global' companies wanting to spend billions on a 'UK' regional locked sport right, but I could well be proved wrong (The PL has already said they would not be prepared to sell a Global contract as they make much more from regional sales at different times). Things like Global Tennis and even possible American sports with a much wider sales pitch possibly and not ruling future events but I still can't see them approaching this PL sale....It would make more sense for someone like Netflix/Amazon to try and hit the Movie companies that SKY have locked up for first window viewing rights but again I would assume just getting UK rights is not attractive enough to a Global company. Netflix UK movies is very poor compared to its US/CAN version and that is down to the SKY lockout.

Amazon have admitted they had to swallow very hard when they paid the figure for what was Top Gear (now Grand Tour) but of course they got that with the Global Market rights, something they would not get with the Premier League.

• David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    Disney are taking it's content off Netflix as are Fox so the chances of that happening are slim to none.
    edited 21 December 2017, 2:51PM
    David8 said:
    Disney are taking it's content off Netflix as are Fox so the chances of that happening are slim to none.

@David8 Only in America, Netflix UK never had any animated content as that was reserved for DisneyLife in the UK but then only after the first subscription window had expired because that is reserved for SKY and that won't change until the deal runs out. It is yet to be seen if Disney in the UK move to the app they are talking about launching in the US. I would suspect they will stay with a contract deal as they have done for many years (all the time with SKY hence my reasoning above).