"new dogs learn old tricks"

jimbjimb Posts: 866Member ✭✭
RICHARD HALTON, CEO OF CONNECTED TV PLATFORM YOUVIEW, OFFERS HIS PREDICTIONS FOR DIGITAL STREAMING IN 2018 AND SOME HINTS ABOUT WHAT’S TO COME ON HIS OWN SERVICE.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/mcmedia-new-dogs-learn-old-tricks/

Comments

• AshAsh Posts: 251Member
    edited 6 January 2018, 11:55AM
    Thanks @jimb

I shall be keeping an eye on things currently in my case, the only TV which uses a  youview box is the one TV We have which isn't capable of 4K. From what I read just now from the link you provided there some hints that new players/services will be joining you view in 2018. 

so I'll be keeping an eye on what these are. I'm just hoping that youview brings out a new retail hardware variant that supports 4K and HDR As it would be nice to be able to watch the iPlayer and Netflix in 4K HDR on a youview box If they do I may have to invest in another youview box.

I think we are due another hardware iteration , especially when you consider that Freeview updated the Freeview play specification in 2017 and Freesat is about to move to their third hardware generation/specification
  • NewfyNewfy Posts: 17Member
    Interesting .... now - about getting the YouView UI back to the rich feature/function capability it had a year ago ....... :P
  • jimbjimb Posts: 866Member ✭✭
    edited 5 January 2018, 5:17PM
    Some grounds for optimism though...
    "YouView has new players to celebrate too in 2018."
    (Note the plural.)
    And...
    "At YouView we’re looking at how our cloud services can enable content sharing across different devices – browsing PVR recording lists with a mobile app as we do today, or using PSB metadata to power contextual voice search, coming soon."
  • NewfyNewfy Posts: 17Member
    sadly it matters not one jot to me - I just watch on a TV, and want to be able to navigate 4 hour MotoGP recordings sensibly - again ....
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭
    Interesting little snippet.

I wonder what the new players are that Richard Hamilton refers to? Amazon seems like the strongest contender, and would be a real asset to Youview. 
    We know that BT are going to get the full Nowtv app, which has been mooted as arriving 2019. I'd hazard a guess that it will also be available on retail boxes (similar arrangement to Netflix on Youview). 

It sounds like Youview are looking to expand their portfolio of apps, and widen the platforms appeal. With the thawing of relations between BT & Sky, It seems possible for the first time that Youview could have access to all the big UK players (Netflix, Amazon, Nowtv). What other apps would people be interested in? 

Youtube? Twitch? How about Plex? So far Youview hasn't shown any interest in apps that aren't directly selling industry/professionally produced content.  Is there a place for these apps on the platform? Interestingly since I last looked Youtube appears to have moved to selling content directly, which seems to muddy the water between it and Googles other storefront Google Play. 

I think it would be interesting for future blogs to discuss Youview's vision with regard to alternative internet televisual content. How it does, or doesn't fit with the platform. Besides cat videos, is there space for the online live streaming phenomena on Youview?
  • RobertRobert Posts: 300Member ✭✭
    As long as it's not more apps of the 'calibre' of the Weather Channel (or whatever it's called) 😂
    I think by the time anything decent lands my BT TV contract will have ended and my use for the box will have died with it. I get all the main apps via my Freeview Play 4k Panasonic tv with full Now TV (if I wanted it) on my Roku.
    Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭
    Robert said:
    I get all the main apps via my Freeview Play 4k Panasonic tv with full Now TV (if I wanted it) on my Roku.
    Yeah, that I imagine is a growing challenge that Youview faces. Time not spent on the platform is going to be costly for Youview which relies on user rich data to sell itself. Also the players and broadcasters presence on the platform is harder to justify if people keep going else where for their smarts. As it stands Youview is second to none with the integration of its players on the platform. The main issue is filling up the missing portfolio of mainstream apps to keep relevant, and at the same time supporting the traditional broadcasters.  

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,507Member ✭✭✭
    Do you remember when we all clicked on the Weather apps contract terms and conditions? And then just for curiosity, its internet version? Jeez H... it was longer than the USAs bill of rights. lol
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,331Member ✭✭✭
    I would like to watch the stuff on my YouView box anywhere in the house, but it is shackled to the one TV.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    For now....
    edited 7 January 2018, 5:35PM
    YouView struggle manfully, and not terribly successfully, to restore the functionality it had in OldGen.

If they can’t do this easy thing, then how are they going to do all these new and harder things?

Or is it more important to YouView that they can tell Channel 4 that 13% of people viewing their recently acquired Bake-off are new to it (on the slightly dubious premise that if they ever watched Bake-off on the BBC, they would only have watched it on the same YouView box), than that 0% of those viewers can jump to a point 30 minutes in, if they so desire?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    It was always about analytics. Every press release I've read recently, including the one linked to in the opening post of this thread, is heavily laden with talk of data etc, with news of adding content or improving the user experience sadly lagging far behind in their 'to-do list'.
    These sections, 'Data drives value', 'Re-invention of ad technology', 'Personalisation grows up', taken from that article show the real reason why Next Gen was developed, it was all about analytics and money.
    edited 8 January 2018, 12:18AM
    Roy said:
    YouView struggle manfully, and not terribly successfully, to restore the functionality it had in OldGen.
    If they can’t do this easy thing, then how are they going to do all these new and harder things?
    Really? Its my knowledge you have new features on your box that are yet to be released. And yet you claim they won't. Pretty poor that Roy.
    In general regard to analytics - full blown analytics have been in full swing on this platform since it launched and so is no different to any other available.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,646Member ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2018, 7:47AM
    @Visionman I can't believe Roy would be a tester with access to new features as he has constantly torn into YouView about them not going forwards (more than ever recently). I know testers are under NDA's to not talk about new features but surely you wouldn't so massively accuse YouView if you had sight of new features progressing...
    edited 8 January 2018, 8:49AM
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:
    Really? Its my knowledge you have new features on your box that are yet to be released. And yet you claim they won't. Pretty poor that Roy.
    In general regard to analytics - full blown analytics have been in full swing on this platform since it launched and so is no different to any other available.
    @Visionman

You are politely enjoined to look up straw man argument on Wikipedia and attempt to avoid using such in future.

@scott

All my public opinions are based on a YouView box that is not in the Trials programme. You may have noticed that Richard Halton’s piece did not include any mention of, or commitment to, restore the functionality that OldGen had, to any particular deadline. Enough said?  

@Visionman

If the analytics have indeed been there all along, then you blow up your own argument about progress. But of course, they haven’t, NextGen was designed to provide YouView with enhanced analytics. 

There is a saying on the internet, mostly relating to free services and the data collection they do, that ‘if you aren’t the customer, then you’re the product’.    

YouView seem to be getting a double dip here  :(

As ever, though, my attitude to YouView is the one I would have to a wayward child who comes home with a school report saying ‘Could do better’. You will know if I have given up on YouView, or lost interest in its progress, should that ever happen, as I will go silent here.
    Excellent post @Roy
    If I could just add two points to it.
    1. I think it somehow flies in the face of an NDA to 'out' someone as a tester, especially if the full facts aren't there in front of you relating to what hardware the 'tester' may also have in their posession.
    2. Analytics have always been there with Youview, we all know that, but on Old Gen you had the option to 'opt-out', that 'right' has been removed by stealth with the installation of Next Gen and those "enhanced" analytics, something many people noticed straight 'out of the box' so to speak.
    I'd just like to add that the frustrations many have around Next Gen is the sloooow progress being made after the early promises of quick fixes, and the now familiar trait of Youview not listening to its customers by not implementing quick fixes to the most commonly asked for omissions (and yes I do know what's in the pipeline).
  • scottscott Posts: 1,646Member ✭✭

@Roy - My only 'Old Gen' requirement would be the jump to time and possibly the discover section, on top of this I would only like to see new features.

If as you suggest neither of the two features are being re-introduced (or in test even) then I would agree that is poor. I am guessing from your comment ('Richard Halton says'), if anybody does have a test build with new features and these are not part of it there is every reason to keep complaining.

The 'jump to time feature' is the one I'd really want back. 
    I'd also like to see us having the option (a la Freeview Play) for Tile OR List view in MyTv. I had no initial qualms about tiles but too many of mine are missing the images which makes it look very untidy and amateurish in appearance. They are MOSTLY missing from the internet delivered channels but it definitely makes for a tacky appearance. 
    Unfortunately Youview's 'head in the sand' approach probably means Lists will never return as a user option.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,383Member ✭✭✭
    @Robert You may be confusing 'head in the sand' with 'we hear you, but disagree.'
    edited 8 January 2018, 5:05PM
    scott said:

@Roy - My only 'Old Gen' requirement would be the jump to time and possibly the discover section, on top of this I would only like to see new features.

If as you suggest neither of the two features are being re-introduced (or in test even) then I would agree that is poor. I am guessing from your comment ('Richard Halton says'), if anybody does have a test build with new features and these are not part of it there is every reason to keep complaining.

As I didn’t know what your top two wants were, and anyway wasn’t considering the wants of particular individuals, it follows that I was making no such suggestions  :p

So please do not assume, or attempt to divine, what specific things might or might not be coming from anything I say  o:)
    redchiz said:
    @Robert You may be confusing 'head in the sand' with 'we hear you, but disagree.'

No confusion. Of course they disagree with giving the user the choice, ie. 'burying their head in the sand'. It's not like they haven't done it before.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,114Member ✭✭
    Are any PVRs available that have a choice of display?
    Sorry, we'll have to disagree then. Whatever makes them act, or not, I have seen nothing to suggest they are not a sharp and astute organisation. As to "giving the user the choice" that does sound like a harking back to the days of homebrew. YouView are not in that business, mercifully.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 114Member
    edited 8 January 2018, 6:57PM
    Sharp and astute organisation, are we having a joke?
    dreamtime said:
    Sharp and astute organisation, what a joke.
    Oh good point, I am pretty sure that breaches the community guidelines in more ways than I can imagine.   :/
    edited 8 January 2018, 11:09PM
    jonesh said:
    Are any PVRs available that have a choice of display?

The Freeview Play PVRs give you the choice of List or Tile view, and they aren't into homebrew either.

As for 'sharp and astute'? Sorry but that also made me laugh!
    If that breaches guidelines it says a heck of a lot for the people behind this community. No choice on their boxes and no freedom of speech in their forum. Goodness me!!!

I shall await my ban  :D
    Apologies @Robert, when you said “choice” earlier I thought you meant more widely, not just the one thing.
    edited 9 January 2018, 11:06AM
    Robert said:

The Freeview Play PVRs give you the choice of List or Tile view
    Is that the Humax FVP recorders @Robert? I don't think that it is possible to change the Video Menu view of Panasonics.
    Sorry @jonesh. The Humax 5000T allows it so I assumed it was across all the Freeview Play PVRs. My mistake. I've checked and it's just on the new Humax 5000T box.
    edited 9 January 2018, 6:18PM
    Thank you for the information @Robert. It looks like Humax have reserved the feature for their flagship FVP model.