Blank tiles

PhilStationPhilStation Posts: 106Member ✭✭
Is there still a widespread issue with blank tiles in MyTV?

As a family, over the Christmas period, we have recorded numerous shows, including The Hangover, Despicable Me, Happy Feet 2, The Little Mermaid, Bridget Jones Diary, The Inbetweeners 2 and the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Not a single one of these shows has a tile image which makes the MyTV page look a bit naff to say the least. All set to record via the box itself.

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2018, 10:46AM
    I recorded "Flight" on C5 (by accident) and C5HD. It was split so there were 4 recordings, all blank. I couldn't tell which was C5 and which is C5HD until I played them, once played the MyTV display changed so the latest part *watched* was leftmost. All were in MyTV and not in a folder like other split recordings. I also recorded "Demolition Man" (from ITV4?) which had a folder and 2 recordings, both with a picture but the AR missed quite an important bit of part 2. So looking a bit naff isn't the biggest problem.
  • PhilStationPhilStation Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2018, 10:55AM
    al said:
    I couldn't tell which was C5 and which is C5HD until I played them.

Usually, if you press the info button, it tells you which channel the recording was from, together with other information about the recording. Did that not work for that particular recording?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,200Member ✭✭✭
    Check you can watch catchup - the pictures go away if your internet connection isn’t there.

If that is all OK, try a soft reset - while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby Button (or the ring, if it is a T10x0) for just over 8 seconds, until the box soft reboots.

If that does not fix it, try a Maintenance Mode reset - I suggest Option 4.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 9 January 2018, 11:02AM
    Roy said:
    Check you can watch catchup - the pictures go away if your internet connection isn’t there.

If that is all OK, try a soft reset - while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby Button (or the ring, if it is a T10x0) for just over 8 seconds, until the box soft reboots.

If that does not fix it, try a Maintenance Mode reset - I suggest Option 4.

Roy, I'll give it a try shortly.

The internet connection is not the issue, there are images for other tiles and indeed the images for all of those shows were present but have been one by one, disappearing. I can't be sure but it seems as though after 8 days had passed since the recording was made, the image disappeared.
  • This is a long standing issue for many. Loads of my recordings don't produce images AT ALL (they are missing from the point of setting the recording up). Unfortunately it happens very much at random and across many channels/programmes, some have images and others not. All manners of resets and MMs will not improve the situation as this has been done countless times by many people. Youview did initially confirm this was an issue under investigation but to date no fixes have been made. It makes the UI look daft and amateurish.
    B)
    As predicted by Robert, neither option has restored the images...
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 169Member
    It just shows rushed delivery of software, insufficient testing and no or little customer concern.
  • I'd go with the latter @dreamtime. They have been aware of it for quite some time now as they did acknowledge it but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be high on their radar to fix. Like I said in another thread, Humax have a very arrogant "head in the sand" attitude when it comes to customer feedback and/or satisfaction.
    B)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,883Member ✭✭✭
    I had a few blank tiles on mine too. And the theme running through them? They were all films.
    I've only got one left, which is Scrooged, also blank.
    Visionman said:
    I had a few blank tiles on mine too. And the theme running through them? They were all films.
    That is a common thread with Philstation’s blank tile too; all movies.

@Philstation, of what you recorded over Xmas, were any of the shows not movies, and if so, do/did they have pictures?

I don’t have any blank tiles, except on pre-NextGen legacy recordings, where it is to be expected, but I do have five movies, When Marnie Was There, Charade, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Brighton Rock, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Four have stills from the relevant movies, but GotG has just the red and white BBC 1 HD fullscreen ident.

So even if there were copyright or capture issues with stills, this would be a way round that to avoid a blank tile.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Visionman said:
    There are plenty of blank tiles on my box and NONE of them are films as I never record any. There is no theme running through mine as even two different programmes from a single channel can have one missing an image and the other displaying an image.
    B)
    edited 19 January 2018, 10:21AM
    Roy said:

@Philstation, of what you recorded over Xmas, were any of the shows not movies, and if so, do/did they have pictures?

Hi Roy,

Of those recorded over the same period, there are several films that retained their image tiles (Spectre, Kingsman and Home Alone for example). All of the TV shows recorded over the same period also retained their image tiles.

So yes, the only blank tiles are films but not all of the films are blank. 
    edited 9 January 2018, 11:29PM
    Roy said:

Hi Roy,

Of those recorded over the same period, there are several films that retained there image tiles (Spectre, Kingsman and Home Alone for example). All of the TV shows recorded over the same period also retained their image tiles.

So yes, the only blank tiles are films but not all of the films are blank. 
    Cheers @PhilStation

After my initial misguided efforts, I think you and @Visionman have moved this issue forward, and given YouView something to chew on  :#

EDIT: He says presciently, one minute in advance  :p
     |
     |
    V
    edited 9 January 2018, 11:29PM
    Thats interesting. All the films I recorded over Christmas were blank, but none of the Christmas TV shows were.
  • @Roy ; @Visionman ; @PhilStation
    As I've already pointed out (but you guys seem to be ignoring) it's NOT only films which are missing tiles (so giving Youview more to "chew over"...except they have apparently been doing that for a while but haven't provided any fixes). I'd refer you to my previous post as you all seem to have 'missed' it. I'd also like to add the missing images have been happening long before the Christmas break (in fact since Next Gen was first thrust upon us which has been well documented).
    B)
    I'm sorry but it appears you just want to have a rant about everything YouView. 
    Can you blame people for not responding?
  • How dare you!!!! I'm NOT having a rant! I am simply pointing out that the issue is more widespread than just movies recorded over Christmas. You are bound to be fully aware how long this issue has been going on and how long ago it was first reported on a seperate reporting area we both belong to. Unfortunately as it stands Youview seem to be ignoring this issue.
    I am so very sorry that so many of you, with Visionman as your spokesman, are choosing to not respond to me. I've long supported Youview and take part in efforts to improve the product. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit into the prejudiced view you three guys hold of me (at least that's what Visionman implies about you guys). 
    If I am blaming the other two protagonists in the wrong you have my heartfelt apologies but Visionman does seem to speak for the collective now around here with his attacks on anyone who dares point out the simple facts.

B)
    Robert said:
    How dare you!!!! I'm NOT having a rant!
    Really?
    Unfortunately as it stands Youview seem to be ignoring this issue.
    Are they? Oh you have no idea.
    I'm sorry if that doesn't fit into the prejudiced view you three guys hold of me (at least that's what Visionman implies about you guys).
    No one ever has a prejudiced view. They only have their own.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 10 January 2018, 12:43AM
    Really! I'm not nor have I been.
    "Oh you have no idea" I hope you're right and there is something going on behind the scenes, unfortunately it's going to be too late for me as my Freeview Play box is fast becoming the box of choice in our home. Regardless of that I'd still like to see those sticking around getting a better overall user experience with Youview (and I'm still more than happy to be helping them in their efforts to try and achieve that parity with the new FVP boxes).
    "No one ever has a prejudiced view. They only have their own". Agreed, but then you decided to speak for them all in that previous post. It's not the first time you've got upset with someone who you feel isn't toeing the party line.
    You can ignore me in future, I shall ignore you, and we shall all be happy!  :D
    B)
    edited 10 January 2018, 12:59AM
    I'm fine. :)
    edited 10 January 2018, 9:11AM
    Robert said:
    @Roy ; @Visionman ; @PhilStation
    As I've already pointed out (but you guys seem to be ignoring) it's NOT only films which are missing tiles (so giving Youview more to "chew over"...except they have apparently been doing that for a while but haven't provided any fixes). I'd refer you to my previous post as you all seem to have 'missed' it. I'd also like to add the missing images have been happening long before the Christmas break (in fact since Next Gen was first thrust upon us which has been well documented).

I haven't missed anything Robert. I have simply detailed the issue that I am personally experiencing. I have not said that that is the same issue experienced by every user but for me it IS only the films that are missing tiles.

I honestly wasn't ignoring you, I actually agreed with one of your posts, but Roy asked a question, and I answered that is all mate.

Edit: I jumped the gun, I now see your apology, lets all move on now and hope YV can offer something in the way of a response this time. 

Could the images not just be stored locally on the box, because in my instance, all the films had images, before disappearing so that would solve my personal issue. 
    @Robert

Nobody speaks for me except me myself and, indirectly, anyone whose posting I put an ‘Agree’ on.

i did wince when I saw @Visionman over-egging the pudding again; I have put a ‘Disagree’ on it now, if that makes you any happier.

I think @Philstation and Visionman may be into something here, though, that explains at least one aspect of the blank tiles issue, and may be instrumental in tracking down a root cause that explains others, including your wider issue.

But the main thing here is to encourage YouView to look again at this issue, perhaps from a novel angle suggested by the movie observations, not to have a squabble among ourselves from which nobody emerges better off.
  • Thank you @PhilStation and @Roy
    It would be encouraging if a fix were made available after almost a year of this issue presenting itself. That would be one small step to instilling a little more confidence in the product going forward. I've never had issue with Tiles and was one of the people that defended their introduction, (although I still believe giving the end user the choice of Tiles or Lists a la FVP T5000 would be ideal), but at the moment my MyTV screens look like a patchwork quilt of images and blank squares. It is very messy indeed. 
    I've never had your particular issue @PhilStation as I've either had the images or not, I've never had an instance of images disappearing that originally were present. I've always said it was a bit random and annoying.
    @Roy. Maybe if this thread is picked up by @Sarah someone might eventually get round to investigating this a litte deeper than would appear to be the case after all this time.
    B)
  • SarahSarah Posts: 837Administrator admin
    Morning all, 

This issue has popped up a few times however it's usually been a tricky one to reproduce in the past. 

To those having this issue, are the tiles blank in both MyTV and on the MyTV menu tab or just one/the other? 

It'd also be helpful to know a list of any programmes showing the blank tiles along with the channel they were recorded on and the date.

Below is the list of the ones mentioned so far, it'd be useful to have the additional information for these: 
    When Marnie Was There 
    Charade 
    The Grand Budapest Hotel 
    Brighton Rock
    Scrooged
    Guardians of the Galaxy - white BBC1HD indent
    Flight (C5/HD) - recordings were split and all blank tiles
    The Hangover
    Despicable Me
    Happy Feet 2
    The Little Mermaid
    Bridget Jones Diary
    The Inbetweeners 2 
    The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • alal Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭
    edited 10 January 2018, 10:35AM
    Cool Runnings BBC1HD 23rd Dec ok
    Muppet Christmas Carol C4HD and C4HD+1 24 Dec Blank Tile (I'm sure it wasn't blank before)
    My Week with Marilyn BBC2HD 26 Dec ok
    Pitch Perfect 2 C4HD 1 Jan Blank Tile

What I can see on the bar is the same as MyTV
    I have some old C4HD films with the correct tile picture and all non films are ok
  • Sarah said:
    Morning all, 

This issue has popped up a few times however it's usually been a tricky one to reproduce in the past. 

To those having this issue, are the tiles blank in both MyTV and on the MyTV menu tab or just one/the other? 

It'd also be helpful to know a list of any programmes showing the blank tiles along with the channel they were recorded on and the date.

Below is the list of the ones mentioned so far, it'd be useful to have the additional information for these: 
    When Marnie Was There 
    Charade 
    The Grand Budapest Hotel 
    Brighton Rock
    Scrooged
    Guardians of the Galaxy - white BBC1HD indent
    Flight (C5/HD) - recordings were split and all blank tiles
    The Hangover
    Despicable Me
    Happy Feet 2
    The Little Mermaid
    Bridget Jones Diary
    The Inbetweeners 2 
    The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Good morning @Sarah and thanks for picking this up.
    I'm not at home but off the top of my head I can give you two definite examples:
    1. Mysteries of the Missing on Discovery HD
    2. Crusades: Crescent & the Cross on H2 HD (on the same channel a recording of Schindler, recorded at the weekend, does have a tile image).
    I do know a recording titled Britain's Unknown Serial Killer on CI HD this coming Sunday is also missing an image. 
    It's mostly, but not always, the BT TV internet delivered channels I have issues with, but again it's all rather random behaviour.
    There are others but I'm not 100% certain which ones they are just now. 
    The missing images on MyTV are also missing on the MyTV menu tab.
    B)
    edited 19 January 2018, 10:23AM
    al said:
    Muppet Christmas Carol C4HD and C4HD+1 24 Dec Blank Tile (I'm sure it wasn't blank before)
    Same here (missed this off my original list) and yes it was definitely there before. My own theory is that the shows affected are losing their images once they drop off the TV schedule. So 7 days after broadcast. 

This would explain why ours disappeared one by one as the days progressed. 
    @Sarah

Hope this helps!

- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 10/12/17 - 2100hrs - 4HD
    - The Inbetweeners 2 - 22/12/17 - 2200hrs - 4HD
    - Bridget Jones's Diary - 22/12/17 - 2240hrs - ITV HD
    - The Muppet Christmas Carol - 24/12/17 - 1830hrs - 4HD
    - Happy Feet Two - 31/12/17 - 1430hrs - ITV2
    - Despicable Me - 01/01/18 - 1805hrs - ITV2+1
    - The Hangover - 01/01/18 - 2100hrs - ITV2
  • SarahSarah Posts: 837Administrator admin
    @Sarah

Hope this helps!

Thanks @PhilStation! Are these also blank on the MyTV tab on the menu? 
    Sarah said:
    @Sarah

Hope this helps!

Thanks @PhilStation! Are these also blank on the MyTV tab on the menu? 

That is correct, they are all blank. However, there are other films recorded on other days, and sometimes on the same day, that have retained their images.