16.9 picture aspect.

preecerpreecer Posts: 2Member
i have recently got a bt youview box and broadband hub. now instead of all programes being viewed in 16.9 aspect many are now in 4.3 aspect which is annoying to say the least. why is this happening. i dont want to watch pictures on half a screen.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2018, 4:57PM
    That’s OK. 4:3 is 12:9, so it’s actually three-quarters of a screen  :p

If ‘many’ of the programmes you watch are in 4:3 though, then I hope you are watching mainly those channels that show programmes made before widescreen came in? But if modern programmes are showing in 4:3, then please say so, and we can diagnose any misconfiguration issues you might have,

However, if these are indeed older programmes, then you are watching them as they were made, and as they were intended to be seen, and Auntie YouView thinks it knows what is best for you, and recasts these programmes into 16:9 by adding the black bars.

And naughty YouView removes the out-of-band information that these programmes were originally in 4:3, contrary to Digital UK’s recommendations here, so it is very hard for your TV to detect this, or for you to adjust for this and stretch the picture to 16:9. Thus then falling foul of your TV maker’s likely recommendation that you avoid 4:3 wherever possible  :'(

But it has been this way since day 1; and there is a wealth of complaint about this on the forum, with some derision from the 4:3 purists; search for ‘stretchyvision’ to read much of it.

Me, I am a 4:3 purist, but one who thinks you are entitled to stretchyvision if you want it, and that YouView should not stand in your way.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • preecerpreecer Posts: 2Member
    surely bt should tell all new customers who are thinking of having the bt youview box that they will not be able to watch all programes in 16.9 aspect after connecting the box up. i would definatly not bought into the package if i had been given this information. i am now stuck with it for 18 months . 
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,622Member ✭✭✭
    I would have thought most of the programming in question is available directly via the Freeview tuner on your TV so if stretchyvision is your desired effect you should be able to accomplish it that way.
    edited 10 January 2018, 5:03PM
    preecer said:
    surely bt should tell all new customers who are thinking of having the bt youview box that they will not be able to watch all programes in 16.9 aspect after connecting the box up. i would definatly not bought into the package if i had been given this information. i am now stuck with it for 18 months . 
    But not make this information available likewise to retail buyers and to TalkTalk users?

Well worth a call to BT to make your point about this, though, see if you can send the box back and get a refund.

Do come back and tell us what they say, won’t you?

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    redchiz said:
    I would have thought most of the programming in question is available directly via the Freeview tuner on your TV so if stretchyvision is your desired effect you should be able to accomplish it that way.
    Recordings?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,622Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2018, 5:24PM
    Roy said:
    Recordings?
    Another point of course. I was just commenting on the information before me, the OP didn't mention recordings, nor do we know whether or not they have a recording box.

EDIT: Sorry about the way the quote came out, not my idea.