All4 problems?

Is anyone else having difficulty watching programmes on their Youview box via All4 at the moment? For the last couple of weeks it's been sticking and buffering every few seconds on some occasions but seems far worse in the evening (when presumably demand is higher) compared to daytime. Broadband speed is fine, iplayer etc and other websites are working OK, so I'm wondering if there's a problem their end. I Tweeted them with no reply so I've tried an email but nothing yet...

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,259Member ✭✭
    I watched a couple of episodes of "Back" over the weekend and had no issues with All4. Have you tried resetting your router?
  • RobertRobert Posts: 349Member ✭✭
    Just a stab in the dark @daveaust79 but if you're with BT you could report it to them as they've apparently had to approach Channel 4 in the past about this same problem.
    If not maybe @Sarah will pick it up as it's not the 1st time there have been issues with All4 on Youview which the excellent team here have had to chase up.
  • daveaust79daveaust79 Posts: 9Member
    Good choice @Al ;) - yes, I did try that - I thought it unlikely to be a router issue as the problem only affected one of the players at certain times but it was worth a try.

@Robert - no, just a humble YouView viewer I'm afraid! If @Sarah is able to help, or let me know if there's a known issue, that would be great.

Thanks both for the replies.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 548Administrator admin
    edited 23 January 2018, 10:09AM
     daveaust79 said:
    Is anyone else having difficulty watching programmes on their Youview box via All4 at the moment? For the last couple of weeks it's been sticking and buffering every few seconds on some occasions but seems far worse in the evening (when presumably demand is higher) compared to daytime. Broadband speed is fine, iplayer etc and other websites are working OK, so I'm wondering if there's a problem their end. I Tweeted them with no reply so I've tried an email but nothing yet...
    Hi Dave

We're not aware of any issues with All4 at the moment.

From the information you've given, it sounds like there may be a bit of throttling on your internet line at peak times as you mentioned that it's noticeably worse in the evenings. It is quite common for routers to get a little over worked if there's too many devices connected to it at once so it might be worth disconnecting some devices from your WiFi/router temporarily to see if this improves the issue or not. This is a bit of a long shot as it sounds like it's only affecting that one app (which is not in HD so shouldn't require too higher speeds) but it's good to try to rule out the router as a source of the problem.  

I'm not sure which Twitter page you tweeted at however, for future reference, the All4 and Channel 4 Twitter accounts to not do customer support. I believe this is the best account to tweet at if needed regarding any Channel 4 related channels or apps :) 

I can enquire with our Content team to see if it's something they've heard about but it'd be helpful to get some details from yourself first. 
    • YouView box model (can usually be found on the back of the box or through Settings > Information & Reset > Device information)
    • Does this happen on any All4 content you are watching? If it's specific programmes please let us know which ones
    • Your internet provider and the speed you are currently getting - You can do a speed test here
    • Is your box connected with an ethernet cable directly to the router or are you using Powerline Adapers?
    • Can you confirm if you've tried any apps other than iPlayer at the same time of day when you'd get the buffering/sticking issue on All4? 

Thanks!
    Sarah
  • RobertRobert Posts: 349Member ✭✭
    @Sarah ; @daveaust79 ; The proper address for the speed test is http://speedtest.net/
    You missed out the 'colon' in your link Sarah 
  • @Sarah - Thanks for this.

I think I can rule out the first point as there wasn't anything else connected to the internet or using wi-fi at the time; only the YouView box.

I tweeted the @4viewers account first but had no reply so then used the web form on their website last Wednesday, but no reply yet. 

Regarding your other questions...

* Model number: 077328
    * The programmes I've had problems with in the last week or so were a few of the Walter Presents ones - episodes 6 and 7 of Norskov and episodes 1 and 2 of Home Guard. When I was doing the experiments to see when the problem was worse, I was watching episodes of Peep Show which as I say worked fine in the daytime but had the same problems in the evening. I also watched episode 8 of Norskov on Sunday lunchtime and that was mostly fine (just a couple of very brief bits of buffering as opposed to every few seconds in the evening). So the problems in the evening have been on everything I've watched. 
    * I'm with Plusnet - I've done a few speed checks at various times and it's always about 16MB with no major variation. 
    * Re the connection, this is how much variation I get - in the daytime, I can watch it over a wireless adaptor (not even a Powerline) - but if that gets a bit slow, I'll plug the wire in. However, in recent weeks, I've been getting these problems in the evening, even when the box is wired directly into the router. 
    * Yes, I've tried iplayer immediately after I was having issues with All4 and didn't get the same problem there. 

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

The model number doesn't match up with any of the ones we have, can you check the list here and see which one your box matches? 

Thanks!
  • @Sarah - ah, that was the number on my e-receipt but obviously not the right one. I'll have to get back to you on that when I get home tonight. 
    @Sarah - got it, it's 
    DTR- T2110 / 84B08530
    Thanks @daveaust79.

I've reached out to our Content team to see if they have any idea what's going on here :) Will get back to you once I have an update! 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah - great, thanks for your help with this. 
  • @Sarah - I take it you've heard nothing back from your content people yet? Just to update, problems still the same as of the weekend just gone. 
    Hi @daveaust79

Sorry for not getting back to you on this one. 

Content are keeping an eye on this as it's the first report on it we've heard about this particular issue on All4 and we've so far not been able to recreate this on our end. 

Does this issue happen at all times of day for you?

If anyone else has experienced the same issue with buffering on All4, please let us know along with the information requested in this post. Having more reports and information to use is super helpful when trying to recreate an issue like this. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Hi @Sarah - no, as I mentioned before, the issue is very time-specific. In the daytime, I can happily watch a programme on All4 via the cable to the modem or even over a wi-fi adapter with no problems - in the evening (when presumably the service is busier), it is unusuable, sticking every few seconds, even when connected via the cable. This never used to be the case, and has only been happening over the last couple of months, and only on All4 (iplayer, for example, is fine at any time of the day). 

If YouView can't identify the problem, and Channel 4 continue to ignore me completely, it doesn't sound as if there's much I can do; I'll just have to accept I can only use All4 outside peak hours at present.

Thanks anyway...
    Dave.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,439Member ✭✭✭
    We watched two episodes of Before We Die yesterday evening, 19:00-21:00, on the All4 Player on our T2000.

No issues at all, both played perfectly.

I was going to ask if anyone knew why?  :p

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • It seems no-one knows - that would make me think perhaps it's my internet connection but my speed checks are the same daytime and evening and the iplayer and ITV player work in the evenings. And I can't get an answer from Channel 4 (at least YouView have tried) so I don't think there's much else I can do :(