Now TV changes

2»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    All the Players on YouView use a CDN, as do their online versions. Its the ISP specific content (such as say BT Sport) which can't, at this time. 
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,000Member ✭✭✭
    Isn’t the advantage of multicast that it’s one signal that every user taps into, in a similar way to how DTT tv is broadcast once only, and received via tv ariel ? Does that efficiency circumnavigate the need to use a CDN?
    Unicast in contrast requires the same signal to be sent out for every time a user tunes in. With a live broadcast on a popular channel that could be a strain on the network. It would be interesting to find out how Sky are going to handle their big move to IP broadcast. Surely it has to be multicast? 
    edited 1 February 2018, 12:22AM
    Yes. Even though no details have been released, its  99% certain they will use a multicast CDN network to provide it (and CDN unicast for on demand). Not many people know this but SKY Q via DSAT also now uses multicast as its delivery method.
    Indeed, SKY wanted to make even further changes (savings) to its SAT network by binning all its remaining SD users boxes, but they ultimately didn't follow through on that one.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,000Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    But as with BT, I think your router would have to support it, and be set for it, and I have not seen NowTV specifying this as a requirement. Though again, some kind soul.....

That’s good point. My router hasn’t been set up to receive multicast and I can access Nowtv both through YouView (cinema) and through the nowtv box. I’m sure nobody has problems connecting to the Nowtv live streams, which really indicates unicast. 
    edited 1 February 2018, 12:47PM
    Joe said:
    Roy said:
    But as with BT, I think your router would have to support it, and be set for it, and I have not seen NowTV specifying this as a requirement. Though again, some kind soul.....

That’s good point. My router hasn’t been set up to receive multicast and I can access Nowtv both through YouView (cinema) and through the nowtv box. I’m sure nobody has problems connecting to the Nowtv live streams, which really indicates unicast. 
    Really? Then that confirms it then. I must be wrong on the multicast front.
  • sophiajonessophiajones Posts: 2Member
    edited 23 May 2018, 9:56AM
    The news is accompanied by new updates for Now TV customers. Firstly, Sky will soon start supporting 1080p Full HD streaming for Now TV customers, who currently have to make do with lowly 720p HD ready streams.

Secondly, downloads will also be coming to the Now TV app, letting you take shows on the go with you away from a constant internet connection.

2»