New features

PaulathomePaulathome Posts: 4Member
Hi. Any new features coming this year 2018. I've got now TV but can't get all the features on youview.  Would be great if it hard WiFi built in to the boxes

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,883Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2018, 3:26AM
    Hi. Any new features coming this year 2018. Would be great if it hard WiFi built in to the boxes.
    There have already been lots, with more to come. 
    But if anyone needs WiFi they will have to look elsewhere, as its not a path YV are going to pursue.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,201Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2018, 7:57AM
    Visionman said:
    Hi. Any new features coming this year 2018. Would be great if it hard WiFi built in to the boxes.
    But if anyone needs WiFi they will have to look elsewhere, as its not a path YV are going to pursue.
    I run my T1000 over WiFi. Details on request, @Paulathome.

Make that last sentence ‘But if anyone needs built-in WiFi they will have to look elsewhere, as it’s not a path YV are going to pursue’.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Hi. Any new features coming this year 2018...

@Visionman a while ago you asked me "Why do you delight in only posting negative threads about YouView?"
    I can explain why I feel disappointed by NextGen and have done so in the past.

I'm pleased that you're optimistic about more features to come.
    But I'm simply gobsmacked by your statement that "There have already been lots [of new features]."
    So I might equally ask you "Why do you only post positive comments about YouView?"
    And can you explain your statement?

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,859Member ✭✭
    We could do with the time jump feature especially now that freeview has a sports channel.
    edited 9 March 2018, 10:38PM
    jimb said:
    Visionman said:
    Hi. Any new features coming this year 2018...
    So I might equally ask you "Why do you only post positive comments about YouView?"
    And can you explain your statement?

Most certainly.

YouView publicly launched on July 4th 2012, just before the Olympics. There were users of it long before that. Plus an Alpha forum that wasn't privy.
    But I didn't get it then because it didn't suit my needs. I actually obtained a Youview in April 2015, and told another forum member I would be doing so about 3 months in advance.
    It actually took 4, because the changes that were going to happen that would suit my needs didn't happen and were delayed by 1 month. Then they launched and then I got it. And then when I fired it up was that impressed went out and got another one.

Believe me when I say this, I honestly believe YouView is the future of 21st century television.  

edited 10 March 2018, 12:06AM
    Has anyone got a NextGen change log?
    Visionman said:
    It would have to be logs, given the BT/TalkTalk/Retail divergences.

But for one of these, or each of these, you could string all the announcements of each public release together.

After which, all you need to do is to ask YouView about all the significant changes they have made in these releases but haven’t bothered to tell us about. For instance, fixing the stuttering BBC iPlayer.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 10 March 2018, 10:04AM
    Your comments aren't relevant to the topic. And I've sent you an email. Help!
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,406Member, Champion mod
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    But for one of these, or each of these, you could string all the announcements of each public release together.
    That sounds rather like the consolidated list of updates and changes. That aims to be all that they announce plus any other key points that we spot that YouView failed to consider worthy of their announcements ;)

If one wants a reasonable list of what was lost/removed with next gen then a quick read of my next gen first impression post may suffice :)

@Visionman, you know all that though already so perhaps were asking for something different or perhaps more detailed, i.e. a truly comprehensive changelog.

edited 10 March 2018, 12:05PM

Visionman said:

Believe me when I say this, I honestly believe YouView is the future of 21st century television.  

When YouView first came out, it was a capable PVR, though I already had a capable PVR (but I wanted a second one). But that PVR wasn’t internet-savvy, whereas YouView was, and had the Big Four catchup players, which was likewise a big deal in 2012. Though we had a Samsung TV which, unusually for the time, did have all the catchup players. YouView’s big USP, for us at the time, was the backwards EPG.

So where are we now? I imagine YouView has aced the PVR market, with just a few Pannys hanging on courtesy of Freeview Play; though that, on TVs as well, has mirrored YouView’s backwards EPG and Big Four catchup players now.

Today, though, we have a new Big Four; Netflix, Amazon, NowTV and BT TV.
    The YouView box has a monopoly on BT TV, nearly full Netflix, very partial NowTV, and no Amazon.

Will the monopoly on BT TV be enough to carry it through? Entirely possibly.
    Ought YouView to look at filling in the gaps on the other three services? Very probably.

YouView’s rivals today are Sky Q, Virgin, Freeview Play, and inertia. I can’t see much that YouView can do to gain customers from Sky or Virgin, except wait for price sensitivity to kick in, as the offerings are so different. And maybe they aren’t too worried about competing with Freeview Play in the rather small retail space. Though if they are, the answers are above.

With the exception of BT TV, though, and to a certain extent with it, being the future of 21st Century television is going to come down to not just having these services, but having integrated search across them.

YouView has highly effective integrated search, that other platforms can look at and envy; it just needs, perhaps, to ensure that it has the whole of the new Big Four on board, so it can deploy its search on them.

You may notice I haven’t talked about YouView on Sony Android TVs. Quite  :p

edited 10 March 2018, 11:36AM

Your comments aren't relevant to the topic.

Beats me how not. Have I misunderstood your question, or perhaps not caught the axe being ground behind it?

And I've sent you an email. Help!

I’ve replied to that, hopefully more relevant to your query there  >:)

Thanks, Roy.
    Now, in regard to the comments above, I loved this one -
    "YouView’s rivals today are Sky Q, Virgin, Freeview Play, and inertia."

• jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    edited 10 March 2018, 3:28PM
    @Visionman said:  ...And I've sent you an email.
    @Roy said: I’ve replied to that...

I may be wrong about this (I'm not a member of lots of different forums), but isn't this bad forum etiquette?
    If you guys wish to email or private message each other that's fine, but I would have thought that other forum members might be irritated by you mentioning this in public in the forum.
    (I am.)
    We don't need to know that you are exchanging information that may be relevant to this thread and might be interesting to everyone, but which you choose to keep private. 
     >:) 
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 169Member
    edited 10 March 2018, 3:42PM
    But then they are the forum arnt they?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,801Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2018, 3:46PM
    @Roy you mention the big four, BTTV and Netflix covered and already announced full NowTV early next year. So that just leaves Amazon :)
    Again YouView have announced Alexa voice search support. I know there are lots of nay Sayers but personally I have to say I am really excited for the YouView platform this year. Of course we have had hopes dashed many times but I really feel good about this year...
    jimb said:
    @Visionman said:  ...And I've sent you an email.
    @Roy said: I’ve replied to that...

I may be wrong about this (I'm not a member of lots of different forums), but isn't this bad forum etiquette?
    If you guys wish to email or private message each other that's fine, but I would have thought that other forum members might be irritated by you mentioning this in public in the forum.
    (I am.)
    We don't need to know that you are exchanging information that may be relevant to this thread and might be interesting to everyone, but which you choose to keep private. 
     >:) 
    Sorry - he was just asking if I take sugar, and how many spoonfuls, and I said sweeteners, two. Happy now?  o:)

scott said:
    @Roy you mention the big four, BTTV and Netflix covered and already announced full NowTV early next year. So that just leaves Amazon :)
    Again YouView have announced Alexa voice search support. I know there are lots of nay Sayers but personally I have to say I am really excited for the YouView platform this year. Of course we have had hopes dashed many times but I really feel good about this year...
    But we don’t know if full NowTV is coming to YouView generally, or just to BT TV subscribers. And if it is indeed preannounced, for either, and it’s not until next year, what might make you think there would be anything more exciting this year, except perhaps the likewise preannounced Alexa?

I am sort of hoping that if YouView are getting into bed with Amazon over Alexa, then Amazon coming to YouView might be on the cards as a quid pro quo. But I could well be adding two and two and getting five, and even if I am not, there is still no timescale.....
  • scottscott Posts: 1,801Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

scott said:
    But we don’t know if full NowTV is coming to YouView generally, or just to BT TV subscribers. And if it is indeed preannounced, for either, and it’s not until next year, what might make you think there would be anything more exciting this year, except perhaps the likewise preannounced Alexa?

I am sort of hoping that if YouView are getting into bed with Amazon over Alexa, then Amazon coming to YouView might be on the cards as a quid pro quo. But I could well be adding two and two and getting five, and even if I am not, there is still no timescale.....
    I couldn't possibly comment....
    dreamtime said:
    No, we aren’t the forum, though I know what you mean  :p

But anyone prepared to invest the time in gaining the knowledge of all things YouView, and stepping up to answer questions here, is most welcome to do so; it’s not a club you have to be invited into.

The more the merrier in fact!
  • Roy said:
    dreamtime said:

But anyone prepared to invest the time in gaining the knowledge of all things YouView, and stepping up to answer questions here, is most welcome to do so; it’s not a club you have to be invited into.

If only that were true  :D
    B)
    Robert said:
    Roy said:
    dreamtime said:

If only that were true  :D
    Try it and see what happens.

But beware of going over to the dark side of the force (strike that, forum), Padawan  >:)