Which BT Box?

sevansevan Posts: 40Member
Having looked at the forum for a while I'm planning to buy a BT 500 gb box but which one?
Retail from the high street, £125
Retail/refurb from John Lewis as low as £62
Second hand which may be ex retail or ex BT subscription.

I understand that there is a way of telling if a box is ex retail or ex subscription but is there any advantage or disadvantage to either of these?

Many thanks.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,948Member ✭✭✭
    Go whole hog and get a dtr t 2000 retail box. Price is a bit more but updates seam to be available quicker. 
  • sevansevan Posts: 40Member
    But it’s not a BT branded box.
    That don't make no difference it will work in the same way except updates when released will be quicker.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily faster you could end up with totally different functionality depending how separate they choose to go.
    I only want advice on the BT Youview boxes. I’m not interested in the Humax (or any other) branded box or Freeview Play or Freesat, thanks.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
    Hi @sevan - all the T2xxx boxes are essentially the same spec hardware inside the case, and all are made by Humax, whether they are the BT retail, BT ISP, or pure retail version. The BT T2xxx variants are physically much smaller than the pure retail T2000 which is nice. Other than that though they are all the same from the perspective of hardware performance.

From a software perspective traditionally all YouView boxes have received all features, but with some streams having to wait a very long time for the update to come through (e.g. TalkTalk were often well behind, pure retail would tend to get any updates first, then BT ISP boxes would follow within a month and soon after BT retail). Depending on your ISP, whichever box you have, certain features may be redundant and easily ignored (e.g. IPTV channels can be hidden even if they show up in your EPG because you have BT, Plusnet or TalkTalk as your ISP but are not a TV subscriber with them so actually have no access), and others redundant but forced on you (e.g. if BT is your ISP then you get the BT skin and player even if you are not a BT TV user and thus cannot actually use the player and perhaps do not want the BT skin). More recent announcements have hinted that this largely common software and feature set may be about to diverge. As such whilst at the moment you can largely go for any current box and get the same feature set, in the future that may not be the case. At the moment BT boxes have not received some of the latest changes (watchlists and discover feature) but no doubt those will reach those boxes some time soon.

Another consideration may be warranty. The T1xxx boxes had relatively poor reliability. The T2xxx by comparison seem very good. Even so though you may be unlucky and suffer a failure. If you go for a retail route (be that a pure retail box say from Richer Sounds or John Lewis or some other supplier who may offer a BT retail box or refurb with some warranty) then you can potentially get a 5 year warranty.

If I were looking to pick up a YouView box for use as effectively a retail/non-ISP TV service customer, then I would tend to lean towards the pure retail T2000 with a 5 year warranty. If though I wished to reduce the cost I might go for a BT retail box (which is typically a little cheaper) or even consider an ISP subscription to get the box through that route at an effective reduced price such that it is mine to own forever more after the subscription ends. I would probably steer clear of second hand boxes or refurbs if there is no warranty, unless of course the price is so good it is worth the risk :)

Thanks for that comprehensive advice. I’ll steer clear of second hand but the John Lewis refurbished (or, more accurately, returns) come with a two year warranty. I’ve seen them at £80 and once (why didn’t I buy one!) at £62. That seems to be the way to go.

Thanks again.
    You know bt boxes are made by humax anyway.
    Indeed.
    I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting a retail humax but in all honesty I'm struggling to know what they are if I am being honest with you.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone.
    The BT branded boxes are cheaper. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,058Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Hey everyone.
    The BT branded boxes are cheaper. 
    And smaller. And, like the BT Home Hubs, they have friendly lights to tell you when they are going wrong.

Mind you, they probably need them :smiley:
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    Having decided on a Bt box, I wanted to establish whether I should go for a retail box or an ex Bt subscription box. I read somewhere that they have different model numbers and wondered what the differences are.
    edited 10 March 2018, 1:21PM
    None. Though second hand has no warranty with them. 
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
    Strictly speaking the BT retail and BT subscription get their software updates at different times, although typically there is not much of a gap between the release dates. See the YouView software update page for a current example, where the subscription boxes have completed an update whilst it is yet to complete for BT retail. Who knows in the future if there is divergence between the ISP and non-ISP services and software whether the BT retail will more closely align with retail or ISP.
    edited 10 March 2018, 4:40PM
    sevan said:
    Having decided on a Bt box, I wanted to establish whether I should go for a retail box or an ex Bt subscription box. I read somewhere that they have different model numbers and wondered what the differences are.
    Visionman said:
    Not quite ‘none’. Though indeed physically identical, apart from that model designation, BT use this to roll out updates on different timescales, as shown here.

That might make you lean towards an ex-subscription box, though don’t pay more than half the price of a BT Retail one with a warranty, so you have the leeway to buy another if the first one barfs,

Thought: when BT forks off, will their BT Retail boxes take the BT or the Retail path, do we think?
    edited 10 March 2018, 5:29PM
    Roy said:
    sevan said:
    Visionman said:
    Not quite ‘none’. Though indeed physically identical, apart from that model designation, BT use this to roll out updates on different timescales, as shown here.

That might make you lean towards an ex-subscription box, though don’t pay more than half the price of a BT Retail one with a warranty, so you have the leeway to buy another if the first one barfs,

Thought: when BT forks off, will their BT Retail boxes take the BT or the Retail path, do we think?
    BT have already forked. If you are on 29.44 you will stay with the retail releases and if you are on 29.45 you will stay with the BT releases.
    My guess would be the T1000 will get one further update and then be left behind.
    scott said:
    My guess would be the T1000 will get one further update and then be left behind.
    My 100% knowledge is the T1000s will get one further hide channels update and then be maintained for the rest of their life span. Because they said so.  :D
    edited 10 March 2018, 7:07PM
    Roy said:
    Not quite ‘none’. Though indeed physically identical, apart from that model designation, BT use this to roll out updates on different timescales, as shown here

BT have already forked. If you are on 29.44 you will stay with the retail releases and if you are on 29.45 you will stay with the BT releases.
    If BT have already forked, then we have our answer; BT Retail will fork with ‘BT’ rather than with ‘Retail’.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:.
    My 100% knowledge is the T1000s will get one further hide channels update and then be maintained for the rest of their life span. Because they said so.  

No "Jump To" feature?
    edited 10 March 2018, 8:28PM
    jonesh said:
    Visionman said:.
    My 100% knowledge is the T1000s will get one further hide channels update and then be maintained for the rest of their life span. Because they said so.  

No "Jump To" feature?
    I said I thought there would be one further update but with unknown additional features (yes hide channels will definetly be one of them). But visionman knows 100% what will be in that final update according to him, so sounds like no :(
    edited 10 March 2018, 10:37PM
    scott said:

I said I thought there would be one further update but with unknown additional features (yes hide channels will definetly be one of them). But visionman knows 100% what will be in that final update according to him, so sounds like no :(
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Future-box-update/td-p/1813462

The post on the BT Community Forum includes the statement "The next update on the H3 (DTR1000) box will, however, give you the ‘hide channel’ feature as we know this is a feature that customers are missing."

It doesn't say that Hide Channels will be the only feature included in the update, or that it will be the last update that the BT T1000 boxes will receive.

I might have missed something, but perhaps Visionman will clarify.
    jonesh said
    No "Jump To" feature?
    That feature isn't available on any box atm.
    Visionman said:
    jonesh said
    No "Jump To" feature?
    That feature isn't available on any box atm.
    I know that Visionman.

You said that the T1000s will get one further hide channels update. Did you mean that would be the end of it, or is there still a possibility that other features such as Jump To might return?
    Theres still a possibility but they haven't made any promises. 
    Thanks Visionman. 
    Thanks for all the help. I'll go for a BT box from JL's reduced counter with a 2 year guarantee. I don't actually need catch up or YouView or Freeview Play but it seems that this box will do what I want it to which is record two channels with the ability to set recordings from a phone etc.

Everyone's been very helpful and I'm very grateful.
    edited 11 March 2018, 8:34PM
    The bt box will still be a youview box. What I will say is even though you don't need the catch-up you never know as you have to plug the box into the internet for the remote record app to work you may find it handy to have catch up available in case you forget to record something important. I'm sure everyone has had the odd occasion of been absent minded in there day and this is where catch up can be a godsend. It's easy to use as well and I'm sure any of the regular posters here would be more then happy to help you with instructions how to use it if you ever decide to use it and have any problems.
    edited 11 March 2018, 10:44PM
    And if you have ever needed a comfort break during a TV programme or film, YouView’s ability to pause and rewind live TV can be another godsend  :p