[Discussion] BT software update 29.53.0

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,018Administrator admin
Hi all,

Please feel free to feedback on the latest BT software update 29.53.0 in this thread.

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,382Member ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing the features from this update push out to retail users soon too (and hopefully to TalkTalk user too in due course).

If I understand correctly the 'smart landing for series recordings' finally implements the optimal solution proposed when next gen launched about 16 months ago, it lands you on the oldest (part) unwatch item such that you can naturally pick up watching where you last left off - hooray :D
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,382Member ✭✭✭
    Presumably still no discover or watchlist for BT (or Plusnet) users either though :(
  • pjcornellypjcornelly Posts: 4Member
    edited 19 March 2018, 10:03PM
    Have the update. Does not offer HD option when a HD channel is available in most instances.  Offers a reminder feature but not record which seems crazy both should be available. Could not get any options to show On Demand and found no etc.... 

As for watchlist and discover, not yet but fingers crossed. 
  • NewfyNewfy Posts: 21Member
    nor 'jump to time' - kinda useful last year in MotoGP ..... sigh
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Posts: 31Member
    it ok but i like to see the discover back 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,696Member ✭✭✭
    Keith said:
    Presumably still no discover or watchlist for BT (or Plusnet) users either though :(
    Hi Keith, No, not yet.
    Also, upon scanning the various BT fora across the Net, this is what is being said about the latest update -
    No mention of the new smart landing for series recordings.
    No watch in HD on all channels
    No Action Panel Recording
    It doesn't fix bugs
    No jump to time feature
  • jimbjimb Posts: 945Member ✭✭
    When the 29.44.10 software was released for the T2000 in January @Sarah said:
    The following actions are currently available in the new Action Panel:
    • Watch Live
    • Watch Live in HD
    • Watch On Demand
    • Set Reminder
    • Set-Up Channel
    • More Episodes (for on-demand content)
    • Add to MyTV

The description for this new 29.53.0 software says:
    "When you bring up programme information using the (i) button on your remote control you will now be able to perform a number of actions on that programme. Depending on the programme this includes Watch Live in HD, Watch in(sic) Demand, Set/ Cancel reminder and more."

@Sarah could you please tell us what the full list of actions is?

What I'm seeing on a T2100 box is that Watch On Demand doesn't work. Is this a fault?
    Also Set-Up Channel and More Episodes aren't working. Are they supposed to be?

edited 22 March 2018, 10:46AM
    I’ve been with BT for about 10 months and must say I find the releases to date adds little value to my overall experience.  However it does seem releases are made without a full back room testing being made, quite the amateurs! 

I appreciate BT offers a more affordable option to Sky & Virgin but from reading through the posts there seems to be several backward steps to the user experience. 

Once Apple get their act together with with the new TV APP on their 4K HDR box that seems to me to be the platform of choice as my tv viewing is mainly via BBC, Netflix and NOW TV. Plus the picture quality and sound is leaps ahead on my LG OLED with many programs and films in UHD. This nonsense in streaming SD or charging more for HD in this day and age is bonkers, at least Apple and Netflix offer this as standard when available. 

Between all providers nobody offers the complete package but that’s life I guess. 🤔
  • SarahSarah Posts: 615Administrator admin
    jimb said:
    • Watch Live
    • Watch Live in HD
    • Watch On Demand
    • Set Reminder
    • Set-Up Channel
    • Add to MyTV

"When you bring up programme information using the (i) button on your remote control you will now be able to perform a number of actions on that programme. Depending on the programme this includes Watch Live in HD, Watch in(sic) Demand, Set/ Cancel reminder and more."

What I'm seeing on a T2100 box is that Watch On Demand doesn't work. Is this a fault?

Hi @jimb

The list of actions are the same as the ones mentioned previously, if this isn't what you mean, can you explain what you're looking for in a bit more detail? Not all actions will be available for each piece of content, it will only display the ones available for that content. 

Can you explain what happens when you click Watch On Demand, More Episodes and Set-Up Channel? Do they simply not work/launch what they should be launching or do any errors come up?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    I’ve been with BT for about 10 months and must say I find the releases to date adds little value to my overall experience. 
    Hi @pjcornelly

Welcome to the forum. 

We collect feedback from here and other sources and feed it back to our Product team so if there are some things which you'd like to be added/changes to improve your overall experience, please let us know :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah said:
    jimb said:
    • Watch Live
    • Watch Live in HD
    • Watch On Demand
    • Set Reminder
    • Set-Up Channel
    • Add to MyTV

Hi @jimb

The list of actions are the same as the ones mentioned previously, if this isn't what you mean, can you explain what you're looking for in a bit more detail? Not all actions will be available for each piece of content, it will only display the ones available for that content. 

Can you explain what happens when you click Watch On Demand, More Episodes and Set-Up Channel? Do they simply not work/launch what they should be launching or do any errors come up?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi @Sarah

What I'm seeing is:
    • If I go back a couple of days in the main guide and find a programme that is indicated as available on demand (e.g. Bargain Hunt) and press the (i) button there are no actions shown.
    • If I go to a subscription channel in the main guide to a programme that is currently being broadcast and press the (i) button, it offers Watch Live but not Set-Up Channel.

(I've done a soft reset - no change.)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,655Member ✭✭✭
    I’ve been with BT for about 10 months and must say I find the releases to date adds little value to my overall experience.  However it does seem releases are made without a full back room testing being made, quite the amateurs! 

I appreciate BT offers a more affordable option to Sky & Virgin but from reading through the posts there seems to be several backward steps to the user experience. 

Once Apple get their act together with with the new TV APP on their 4K HDR box that seems to me to be the platform of choice as my tv viewing is mainly via BBC, Netflix and NOW TV. Plus the picture quality and sound is leaps ahead on my LG OLED with many programs and films in UHD. This nonsense in streaming SD or charging more for HD in this day and age is bonkers, at least Apple and Netflix offer this as standard when available. 

Between all providers nobody offers the complete package but that’s life I guess. 🤔
    Hi @pjcornelly

I’m confused - BT charge more for HD streaming than SD, and yet Netflix don’t? Please give examples.

Also, what programmes and films can you get in UHD on your LG OLED?

I don’t know which YouView box you have from BT, but if you want the ultimate, they have a 4K box you can get with the Max package. Which will also show, albeit on HD at best, all the channels that BT TV currently provide you with, and which I doubt AppleTV is going to match.

The main thing Apple TV 4K brings to the party, though, is movies in 4K and HDR for the same price as HD.

The Netflix won’t likely be any superior to the UHD HDR 5.1 Netflix you can get on your TV, nor the NowTV superior to the 1080p you get on the new NowTV stick.

So what is it the AppleTV will buy you that you don’t get now?

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    jimb said:
    Hi @Sarah

What I'm seeing is:
    • If I go back a couple of days in the main guide and find a programme that is indicated as available on demand (e.g. Bargain Hunt) and press the (i) button there are no actions shown.
    • If I go to a subscription channel in the main guide to a programme that is currently being broadcast and press the (i) button, it offers Watch Live but not Set-Up Channel.

Hi @jimb

Thanks for these examples. Are you seeing the same behaviour regarding the available On Demand not being on the AP on channels other than those on the BBC? If so please let us know some programmes and channels so we can look into this. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

edited 22 March 2018, 2:44PM
    Roy said:

Hi @pjcornelly

I’m confused - BT charge more for HD streaming than SD, and yet Netflix don’t? Please give examples.

what I’m saying is some tv providers charge a subscription for HD content. Netflix is a flat fee regardless of quality. 

I watch a huge library of content via Netflix, Apple and Amazon

I don’t know which YouView box you have from BT, but if you want the ultimate, they have a 4K box you can get with the Max package. Which will also show, albeit on HD at best, all the channels that BT TV currently provide you with, and which I doubt AppleTV is going to match.

i have the T4000 but only football in 4K so far. I don’t watch sport. 

The main thing Apple TV 4K brings to the party, though, is movies in 4K and HDR for the same price as HD.

The Netflix won’t likely be any superior to the UHD HDR 5.1 Netflix you can get on your TV, nor the NowTV superior to the 1080p you get on the new NowTV stick.

Can I suggest you read up on the new Apple TV app it’s too much to explain here but basically it brings together third party apps like BBC iPlayer, prime etc into one app. 

Sarah said:
    jimb said:
    Hi @Sarah

What I'm seeing is:

Hi @jimb

Thanks for these examples. Are you seeing the same behaviour regarding the available On Demand not being on the AP on channels other than those on the BBC? If so please let us know some programmes and channels so we can look into this. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sorry @Sarah I don't understand. Please explain further.  :/
    jimb said:
    Sarah said:
    jimb said:
    Hi @Sarah

What I'm seeing is:

Hi @jimb

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sorry @Sarah I don't understand. Please explain further.  :/
    You mentioned that if you went back in the guide to an episode of Bargain Hunt on BBC1 which is marked as available on demand, there is no action available in the Action Panel to 'watch on demand'.

Is this the case with other programmes/channels (non-BBC) as well in regards to the 'watch on demand' action? 

Hope that's a bit clearer! :) 

Sarah
    edited 22 March 2018, 3:38PM
    Hi @pjcornelly

You said:

“Netflix is a flat fee regardless of quality.”

This link says not.

Is it wrong?

Oh, and I have the AppleTV app on my iPad, so I know all about it. It’s the new wildly overpriced and underspecified AppleTV hardware device I take issue with.

But if you want to spend £200 just to get your content aggregated, knock yourself out  :p 
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Sarah said:

You mentioned that if you went back in the guide to an episode of Bargain Hunt on BBC1 which is marked as available on demand, there is no action available in the Action Panel to 'watch on demand'.

Is this the case with other programmes/channels (non-BBC) as well in regards to the 'watch on demand' action? 

Sarah
    As far as I can see this is the case with any programme that is indicated as available on demand.
    No "Watch On Demand" and no "More Episodes".
     :( 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 22 March 2018, 6:23PM
    Sarah said:
    jimb said:
    • Watch Live
    • Watch Live in HD
    • Watch On Demand
    • Set Reminder
    • Set-Up Channel
    • Add to MyTV

Hi @jimb

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah
    If the actions are the same for 29.53.0 as for the latest 'retail' Youview software (per your reply to @jimb ) can you tell me please where "Add to MyTV" is located on the BT 29.53.0 software?
    B)
  • Roy said:

Hi @pjcornelly

@Roy
    NowTV content is still only streaming at 720p on the stick. NowTV doesn't go 1080p full hd until some time later this year  :)
    Other apps available via NowTV sticks/ boxes stream at 1080 but not NowTV content.
    B)
    edited 22 March 2018, 6:33PM
    Robert said:

@Sarah
    If the actions are the same for 29.53.0 as for the latest 'retail' Youview software (per your reply to @jimb ) can you tell me please where "Add to MyTV" is located on the BT 29.53.0 software?
    Hi @Robert

"Add to MyTV" isn't part of 29.53.0 because it means add to the Watch List and that (along with Discover) isn't part of 29.53.0 .
    jimb said:
    Sarah said:

Sarah
    As far as I can see this is the case with any programme that is indicated as available on demand.
    No "Watch On Demand" and no "More Episodes".
     :( 
    Thanks Jim. We'll chase this up with the team tomorrow to see if they have any information to share. 

Will update when we can :)

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 22 March 2018, 10:18PM
    I've just discovered another action, one that appears to have escaped a few people's notice!
    No great surprise really  :D
    "Watch Recording" 
    edited 23 March 2018, 9:17AM
    Robert said:
    Roy said:

Hi @pjcornelly

@Roy
    NowTV content is still only streaming at 720p on the stick. NowTV doesn't go 1080p full hd until some time later this year  :)
    Other apps available via NowTV sticks/ boxes stream at 1080 but not NowTV content.
    Cheers, @Robert

So no 1080p for NowTV, yet, anywhere.

And therefore, as of now, no better resolution on AppleTV, which was my point.

Roy said:
    Hi @pjcornelly
    You said:
    “Netflix is a flat fee regardless of quality.”
    This link says not.
    Is it wrong?

Oh, and I have the AppleTV app on my iPad, so I know all about it. It’s the new wildly overpriced and underspecified AppleTV hardware device I take issue with.

But if you want to spend £200 just to get your content aggregated, knock yourself out  :p 
    And what exactly do you disagree with, @pjcornelly?

The inconvenient truth in the link I posted?
  • jimb said:
    Robert said:

@Sarah
    Hi @Robert

"Add to MyTV" isn't part of 29.53.0 because it means add to the Watch List and that (along with Discover) isn't part of 29.53.0 .
    Cheers @jimb
    I already knew the answer but was wondering why @Sarah could state, in her answer to you, the exact same options were also present on BT boxes as are available on retail boxes when of course at present that is clearly not the case. Shouldn't the mods know their products/software better than that?
    B)
    edited 23 March 2018, 9:40AM
    The views that YouView is perfect in every way, and that it is a heap of dog’s doodoos, are equally untenable.

One hopes that objective, rather than emotional, criticism of YouView is permissible here, and permissible without limit, just as praise is.

And anyone who sees such criticism, and does not like it, can either refute it, or will have to suck it up.

It is certainly not permissible here to play the man and not the ball as a response to such criticism, quite apart from that tactic expressing the very weak implied view that the criticism is unanswerable.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,723Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2018, 11:06AM
    @jimb - going back to a previous query (not sure if someone answered you or not) regarding the 'on demand' action. The way you described works the same on both the bt and retail versions. Like you say going back in the guide to a programme that is shown as available 'on demand' doesn't give you that option in the action panel BUT if you search for that same programme it will come up as available in 'on demand' tab and the action to 'watch on demand' is there if you press 'i' on the tile. I think it is a slight bug but one that is there for both retail and bt variants.

As an example look at 'not going out' (series 9 episode 3) It was on bbc1  8:30pm last night and is available on demand. If you find it on the guide it shows as available on demand (triangle symbol) but not shown in the action panel, however if you search for it then it comes up as available on demand and the watch on demand action is available on the tile.
    scott said:
    @jimb - going back to a previous query (not sure if someone answered you or not) regarding the 'on demand' action. The way you described works the same on both the bt and retail versions. Like you say going back in the guide to a programme that is shown as available 'on demand' doesn't give you that option in the action panel BUT if you search for that same programme it will come up as available in 'on demand' tab and the action to 'watch on demand' is there if you press 'i' on the tile. I think it is a slight bug but one that is there for both retail and bt variants.

As an example look at 'not going out' (series 9 episode 3) It was on bbc1  8:30pm last night and is available on demand. If you find it on the guide it shows as available on demand (triangle symbol) but not shown in the action panel, however if you search for it then it comes up as available on demand and the watch on demand action is available on the tile.
    Thanks for that @scott.
    (I take it that when you say the retail version you mean the T2000.)

With regards to the behaviour when using search I think we might be talking about different scenarios. What I see is that if I search for a programme that's available on demand but is not part of a series (e.g. Contagion) and then press 'i' it still doesn't offer 'Watch on Demand".
    Could you check this out please?
     :) 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,696Member ✭✭✭
    scott, searching for content that way brings up two Action Panel options for that piece of content - Watch On Demand (triangle) & Add to MyTV (with a plus).