BT TV - retail or subscription?

sevansevan Posts: 40Member
if I buy a retail BT TV box it’s £125. If I add a subscription to my broadband it’s £148 over 18 months (18 x £6 plus £40 up front) which looks good. What do I get with a subscription that I don’t get with a retail box?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,198Member ✭✭✭
    LMGTFY:-

BT TV
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,106Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    LMGTFY:-

BT TV
    Unusually unhelpful of you @Roy.

Firstly don't we need to know what BT are offering @sevan for £148 over 18 months and whether he currently has fibre or not?
    And what happens if he buys a £125 retail box and then tries to watch a subscription channel? Can he subscribe to the relevant package?
  • John LJohn L Posts: 179Member
    I think if I was going to spend £125 at this very moment in time, I would consider Humax's refurb deal £117 Freeview play & not spend/waste any more money on Youview products until Youview sort themselves out. I don't have a FVP-4000, I'm aware it had a few minor bugs, but it looks appealing! It might not do everything, but it offers so much more than what Youview are trying to fix/patch up. It looks like someone has actually listened to the user. Youview seem still quite a way to go to fix what was originally working. Others may disagree. John
    @Sevan can you tell us more about what you want to achieve?
  • sevansevan Posts: 40Member
    As in “What do I get with a subscription that I don’t get with a retail box?”?

sevan said:

Can you try a bit harder? 
     >:) 
    Do you have fibre at the moment?
    edited 22 March 2018, 10:25PM
    jimb said:
    sevan said:

Can you try a bit harder? 
     >:) 
    Do you have fibre at the moment?
    Don’t say I didn’t warn you, @jimb :D
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 283Member ✭✭
    BT will send you a Youview box and the box they send you will depend on what TV package to take. You can however still use a BT Youview retail box for BT TV if you wish. You will also need one of the BT Infinity fibre packages if you don't already have fibre if you want to have BT TV.

Darren
    Thank you all for your help.

I don't know if this is significant or I've just got it wrong. The BT Youview box has been £125 at John Lewis. Yesterday it was showing as out of stock. Today all trace of it seems to have disappeared from their website.

Wonder if they've discontinued it and if so, why?

sevan said:
    I don't know if this is significant or I've just got it wrong. The BT Youview box has been £125 at John Lewis. Yesterday it was showing as out of stock. Today all trace of it seems to have disappeared from their website.

Wonder if they've discontinued it and if so, why?

Why don’t you ask them?
    Still taking the pills then, Roy!
    They are back now. Sorry to have been a nuisance. 
    sevan said:
    Still taking the pills then, Roy!
    Sure am. If I stopped, I’d die.