Failed Recordings - What Is Going On?

13»

Comments

• tramdevtramdev Posts: 2Member
    But - I have not had this problem on my T1000 (latest mod) perhaps because I only record SD?
  • AKAK Posts: 38Member
    I only record SD and I have had several failed recordings on my T2000 and T1010, so I don't think that is the answer
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 281Member ✭✭

More for me yesterday (13/6).

Home & Away CH5 @ lunchtime - series record - then recorded at 6pm

Neighbours CH5HD @ lunchtime - series record - then recorded at 5:30pm on CH5 (not HD)

Strangers in the Amish Country CH5HD @ 3:15 - set via the EPG

I'm inclined to think that as the first recording failed it blocked the other 2 until my wife turned the box on to do some catch-up around 5pm.

Box is a T2100 on 29.53. Transmitter is Crystal Palace.

My Panasonic running in parallel recorded with no problem as did my T4000 running 26.41.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 149Member

Do we think they have enough resource on this problem. Or is it that these boxes will never be reliable as recorders?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,544Member ✭✭✭
    Can we move things forward by asking closed questions?
    Perhaps YouView can tell us a fix date or if they have enough resource to be able to sort the longstanding problem at all?
    The fix date will be before 2020, but they don't have enough resource, how's that? Have you heard the old saying .... ?
    redchiz said:
    The fix date will be before 2020, but they don't have enough resource, how's that? Have you heard the old saying .... ?
    In other words YouView have no idea what is going on or how to fix it.
      :D  
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,832Member ✭✭✭
    The world seems to divide into those who are somewhat embarrassed that YouView have not yet got a handle on this, and those who are howling with glee that their prejudices against YouView are being confirmed (while still not migrating away, as whatever is in second place apparently does not suit them either >:) ).

But that a box in Standby failing to record will suddenly start doing so when the box is turned On must be a big, big, clue. If only we (or rather YouView) knew how to interpret it  :|

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 15 June 2018, 9:41AM
    ITYM YouView. But yes, your point holds.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 677Administrator admin

Hi all,

Thanks for bearing with us on the issue, the issue has been identified and Humax are currently working on a fix which is due to be tested shortly. 

We appreciate this is frustrating and assure you it’s being worked on as a priority. As soon as I have an update I will post on this thread.

Thanks

Sarah

• EssEmmEssEmm Posts: 4Member
    That’s good news, Sarah. Thanks for the update. Fingers-crossed the impending fix resolves the issue(s).
    So it's a Humax problem? That surprises me as it's a new issue but affecting OldGen (26.40 & .41) and NextGen (29.45 & 29.53) in my case.
    Why on earth should this suddenly happen to old software versions?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,401Member, Champion mod
    Given the indication it is a Humax problem the issue would be in the low level/firmware layer from Humax that links the higher level main YouView software to the underlying hardware. I would expect that Humax layer does not change (much) unless issues arise.

This is not the first time there has been an issue in that layer. About 3 months after YouView launched some people reported repeated channel loss and that was ultimately tracked down to the Humax element of software (that was the very first bug in the consolidated list of bugs and faults). It took quite a while to find and fix. Whilst that issue was only a few months after the YouView launch it seemed like the Humax layer that had been fine just started to play up following some external change as seems to be the case now.
    @Keith For us simpletons: it works OK until something else changes?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,782Member ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June 2018, 9:00PM
    Not usually. YouView boxes have two levels of 'firmware'. Firmware is base software (inbuilt that comes with a box) that all boxes require and need, for the box to even operate. Humax, over a period of years, developed this base firmware, and still maintain it today. 
    Then the second higher layer, often called features, are then added by the various YouView Development teams, such as say 'Discover'. So if say Discover went screwy, that would be a YouView problem, not Humax. 
    From what Sarah has said above this has now been identified as a base firmware problem and so falls to Humax to solve.
    edited 15 June 2018, 9:52PM
    Visionman said:
    Not usually. YouView boxes have two levels of 'firmware'. Firmware is base software (inbuilt that comes with a box) that all boxes require and need, for the box to even operate. Humax, over a period of years, developed this base firmware, and still maintain it today. 
    Then the second higher layer, often called features, are then added by the various YouView Development teams, such as say 'Discover'. So if say Discover went screwy, that would be a YouView problem, not Humax. 
    From what Sarah has said above this has now been identified as a base firmware problem and so falls to Humax to solve.
    Indeed it does, but this does not explain why firmware that has been working OK for years, and has not been changed at all during that period, should suddenly stop working.

It implies that the YouView Humax firmware has been making an assumption about the environment it operates in that was previously true, but no longer is.

e.g. something to do with the recent retuning.

Or maybe just a counter that has been running since 2012 and has just rolled over due to Humax not expecting their hardware to last that long  :p
    edited 15 June 2018, 11:38PM
    There are two problems here. 
    1. Some users boxes won't record a programme when in their box is in standby where other boxes happily will when in such mode.
    2. That means its not a systemic problem, which is always the hardest to pin down.

I agree with your comment that some delight in stating, if not declaring, that YouView is the worst platform out there, and yet years later, are still here. Despite the fact there are many others out there.
    edited 16 June 2018, 7:16AM
    Visionman said:
    There are two problems here. 
    1. Some users boxes won't record a programme when in their box is in standby where other boxes happily will when in such mode.
    2. That means its not a systemic problem, which is always the hardest to pin down.

I agree with your comment that some delight in stating, if not declaring, that YouView is the worst platform out there, and yet years later, are still here. Despite the fact there are many others out there.
    I agree with your point 2, and it’s possibly even harder, as from what I have seen, and experienced myself, the same set of series recordings on a box in Standby will work one day, but not another, so it’s not even a consistent issue from day to day for a box, let alone consistent from box to box but not user to user.

Anyway, it’s found now, and will be fixed shortly, we hope, though perhaps not for the holdouts still on OldGen, unless the firmware can be fixed independently of a YouView software release. If not, that will give the holdouts something to think about...

I do hope we are told what the issue was, though. My money is still on a counter that went wrong on and beyond a certain date/time, BICBVW  :p
    Roy said:
    Anyway, it’s found now, and will be fixed shortly, we hope, though perhaps not for the holdouts still on OldGen, unless the firmware can be fixed independently of a YouView software release. If not, that will give the holdouts something to think about...

Indeed it will.
    I've in total 5 boxes , only 2 on which are on OldGen (both T4s) although we are currently only using 1 T4 (on 26.41) & 1 T2 (on 29.53).
    Really not sure what I'll do, rather depends on how the fix is applied.
    edited 16 June 2018, 7:34PM
    Sarah may ask all users who have had standby recording problems to become out in the wild trialists.
    But I'm expecting a pun there.
    Visionman said:
    Sarah may ask all users who have had standby recording problems to become out in the wild trialists.
    But I'm expecting a pun there.
    Apart from the ongoing paradox of them then being out in the wild and yet locked up behind an NDA, I can’t think of one...  :/
13»