Failed Recordings - What Is Going On?

1235»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,527Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    There have been multiple claims across the internet from multiple box users of failed recordings. So the 'Its only YouView' claim just isn't true.
    If I understand it correctly, for OTA programmes at least, these streams are sent by Arqiva, and are not under YouView’s control.

So any box by any maker that did a similar timeout on these streams would likewise result in failed recordings; even if it’s a Humax-only issue, we might expect their non-YouView boxes to be similarly affected.

Assuming that these incidents you speak of are recent, and are not just the ordinary scattering of incidents resulting from deranged PVRs, @Visonman, can you give us a few citations we can look at?
    There are many, but I can only remember one due to my involvement in it -
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-fpv-5000t-recording.2177775/
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 439Member ✭✭
    Not a good example really as on that Wednesday Holby City was showing as available on catch-up before the actual time so clearly the BBC screwed up somewhere and every one of my recorders missed the Wednesday recording but showed the following Tuesday correctly in the schedule. I'm referring to a Panasonic , a T2100 & a Humax HDR-Fox T2. The HDR-Fox T2 did actually record something for the Tuesday.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,527Member ✭✭✭
    But you claimed 'its only YouView', when it clearly isn't.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    The reference you cite is to CRID issues, not to the ‘tardy streams’ issue the YouView box has been experiencing.

I still don’t know if tardy streams has been a general Arqiva issue, but only YouView boxes have reacted so badly to it, or what  :(
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 439Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    There have been 2 different issues recently.

There's the general failed recordings were normally scheduled recordings are failing which is only a Youview issue,
    and the other is where programmes are being rescheduled due to the World Cup and the recorders are not correctly picking up the rescheduling, probably because of a CRID issue.

The example you pointed to was in the latter category, for which I think the BBC is mainly responsible for as it's only my BBC recordings that have been affected like this.
  • EssEmmEssEmm Posts: 7Member
    I’m as frustrated as everyone else here by this issue & the time taken (particularly during the World Cup & Wimbledon) to correct it, BUT do appreciate these updates, Sarah, so thanks very much for your posts.

Sarah said:
    Hi all,

We've put together some information below to explain some detail behind the issue of the failed recordings. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed some information or data to help us when we were investigating, it's been very much appreciated. 

Programmes and the accompanying data that describes them (what the next programme is, programme description etc) are batched up and broadcast in different ‘streams’, so some of the BBC channels are in one stream, ITV channels in another etc. To make sure each stream knows about the others, some of the accompanying data, particularly information about what programme is now being broadcast and what comes next is sent on all streams. This information is re-sent at regular intervals.

In this case the information about what is happening on other streams started taking longer to arrive and was timing out when being processed. This led to the Humax layer thinking the information on other streams was invalid and stopped processing it. Therefore, if this time out happened, if you were tuned to a channel on one stream and a recording was due to start on another stream, the current stream wouldn’t know about the programme due to start and wouldn’t give the instruction to make the recording happen.

A change has been  in the Humax layer to make sure that it handles the time out processing better – and continues to process the ‘other stream’ information. This is going through testing and we aiming to roll out as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Sarah

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    EssEmm said:
    I’m as frustrated as everyone else here by this issue & the time taken (particularly during the World Cup & Wimbledon) to correct it, BUT do appreciate these updates, Sarah, so thanks very much for your posts.

Sarah said:
    Hi all,
    (Snipped)

Hi @EssEmm and welcome to the Community!

The intention is that you post down here, below the posting you are quoting.

Otherwise, it is confusing as to what follows what...  :p
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Posts: 15Member
    I have also had a couple of failed recordings on my DTR-T2110. Box was recently installed and so recently re-tuned. I will keep a log and forward it to the email address provided by Sarah above.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,348Administrator admin
    Hi all,

An update is currently rolling out for the T1000 Humax retail devices which includes the fix for this issue. For more information on this software release, please check here.

Thanks,
    Sarah 
    Hi all, 

BT have started rolling out their software releases with the same fix in. The 31.28.0 release is for T2000+ devices and 29.106.0 is for T1000 devices. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,138Member ✭✭✭
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

BT have started rolling out their software releases with the same fix in. The 31.28.0 release is for T2000+ devices and 29.106.0 is for T1000 devices. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

@Sarah you've said T2000+
    Does this include T2110 and T2210 ?
  • AKAK Posts: 49Member
    So, how long will it take for the update to roll out for the T1000/T1010 and how long before there is an update for the T2000
    jimb said:
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

Thanks,
    Sarah

@Sarah you've said T2000+
    Does this include T2110 and T2210 ?
    Hi Jim,

This does not include the BT Retail devices yet however they do usually receive the same software once the BT rollout is complete. Once they're ready to receive the same release we'll update our software table. 

Thanks,
    Sarah