BT Youview box (DTRT2100) blocks 602Mhz, Disconnecting cures reception problems on freeview set

SageSage Posts: 4Member
edited 4 May 2018, 3:29PM in Discussion
Just a heads up for anyone with poor freeview reception, in case it is not a one off fault. 

Just disconnected my Youview box as I hardly use it since the HTML5 firmware installed, the TV had been plugged into the box's antenna out socket.

Connecting the antenna direct to the TV, my reception on channels that were currently breaking up or a complete loss have improved significantly. With the antenna connected through the box I get zero signal strength on UHF 37 (602000 khz) and reduced signal strength with zero signal quality on UHF 60 (786000 khz). Other Muxes I checked showed a small degradation in signal strength.

Tried it with the box's antenna out setting both on and off with exactly same results.

The Youview box had no reception on the same channels it affected on the TV and since new has frequently put up those annoying messages warning about poor reception on some channels when the atmospheric conditions were less than optimal.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,753Member ✭✭✭
    The antenna switch on the box should have no effect on the signal out when the box is On.

Having said which, neither should the passthrough destroy part of the antenna signal.

It sounds a bit as if your box has been faulty from new; I presume you have tried the various resets possible, to see if they make any improvement?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,522Member ✭✭✭
    Or it could just be a **** cable between the two that was causing the issue?
    Umm, sorry about using an apparently naughty word, a common synonym for poor which sounds like trappy.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,754Member ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have a faulty box or cable. As passing your aerial signal through your box to the TV shouldn't affect it. Whats your signal strength and quality?
    edited 4 May 2018, 9:53PM
    redchiz said:
    Umm, sorry about using an apparently naughty word, a common synonym for poor which sounds like trappy.
    Always a difficult one. I used it on the Sony forum, and it was dumped on; but the related emoji, taken from the forum options, slid right past them.

But that was manually moderated; when I happened to use the expression ‘for the nonce’, instead of ‘for the time being’, the Lithium profanity detector took it quite the wrong way, and blanked out the apparently offending word  :D
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,151Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2018, 6:19PM

• SageSage Posts: 4Member
    edited 5 May 2018, 12:31PM
    Visionman said:
    It sounds like you have a faulty box or cable. As passing your aerial signal through your box to the TV shouldn't affect it. Whats your signal strength and quality?
    The cable is fine, had the cable from the antenna plugged directly into the lead normally used to connect from the box's antenna out to the TV, so all the same leads were in use when comparing signal strength.

When I tested it, signal strength on my TV's freeview tuner on  602,000 khz was 43% and Quality 100% with the box out of circuit, and with the box connected 0% & 0%. One of the other muxes I checked at the same time was 90% signal strength and Quality 100% direct, and the signal strength dropped by as much as 8% via the box's TV out, quality still 100%. The other mux that was less badly affected has slightly lower signal strength with the box disconnected, than the one on 602,000 khz.

Prior to unplugging it, it hadn't occurred to me either that the Youview box's TV out might impact on reception on some frequencies, yet not on others, but  thinking about it, the box would need to amplify the signal, rather than using a passive pass through and I'd guess it is probably adding noise on some frequencies. 

Odd that it should be UHF channel 37 that's affected the most, as I seem to recall that being used as the RF output channel for an 8 bit micro I once had - not that I would expect a youview box to have an analogue RF output :smiley:

edited 5 May 2018, 4:04PM
    jonesh said:

Look like somebody flushed your LooView :flushed:
    It's back, emboldened by your LooView joke.

I hesitate to go off-piste these days. There has been a bit of a sombre atmosphere about the Forum since NextGen was released.
    Back on topic: I am confused now as to how the antenna was connected direct to TV, was this not in fact direct toTV??
    jonesh said:

I hesitate to go off-piste these days. There has been a bit of a sombre atmosphere about the Forum since NextGen was released.
    I think NextGen left a lot of people piste-off  :p
    edited 6 May 2018, 1:25PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:

I think NextGen left a lot of people piste-off  :p
    Not as piste-off as Thomas Crapper would have been if he had known that at some time in the future his name would be in common usage to suggest that something is of poor quality :/.

Edit: I have been informed that the word sometimes used to suggest that something is of poor quality has no link to the name of sanitary engineer Thomas Crapper.
    edited 6 May 2018, 9:49AM
    redchiz said:
    Back on topic: I am confused now as to how the antenna was connected direct to TV, was this not in fact direct toTV??
    I’m confused by your question.

All my TVs that work with a PVR, YouView or not, have the antenna connection going to the PVR, and then a second cable carrying the passed-through antenna signal from the PVR to the TV.

It’s how we used to do it with VCRs.

I know some zapper boxes don’t have the antenna out, but I would have thought your TalkTalk box did.

In fact, I’m so confused, I think I must have misunderstood your question, though I can‘t see quite how  :/
    OK, first of all Sage said he had a better picture on the TV with the aerial connected directly than passing through the YouView box. I queried if this might simply be the case of a poor RF cable between the two. 

Sage then said: "The cable is fine, had the cable from the antenna plugged directly into the lead normally used to connect from the box's antenna out to the TV, so all the same leads were in use when comparing signal strength."

Do you see my confusion now? Why would you need "all same the leads" if connecting directly to TV?

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 701Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 May 2018, 12:19PM
    @redchiz
    Makes sense to me. @Sage was testing the YouView patch lead by connecting it directly to the antenna lead and then in to the TV.

Having tested reception by connecting the antenna directly, (no problems) and then placing the patch lead in circuit, it would be immediately apparent if the patch lead was faulty.

That's my interpretation of what Sage was doing.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    That would be my interpretation now also, as far as one can tell, but not based on the opening post. If that had been said then I would not have wasted my time suggesting a cable issue.
    redchiz said:
    That would be my interpretation now also, as far as one can tell, but not based on the opening post. If that had been said then I would not have wasted my time suggesting a cable issue.
    Well, you asked as a supplementary question:-

Or it could just be a **** cable between the two that was causing the issue?

which Sage, in response to this, neatly eliminated as a possible issue by coupling the two cables together directly.

I am always pleased when a suggestion I make is acted on, whether or not it leads to a resolution, or at least to the elimination of one or more possible causes of an issue.
    Um, yes, but if he had explained himself more clearly in the first place there would have been no need. Or are you further interpreting that the third only happened after the second? Anyway, enough already!
    redchiz said:
    Um, yes, but if he had explained himself more clearly in the first place there would have been no need. Or are you further interpreting that the third only happened after the second? Anyway, enough already!
    Yes. Sage only tried your valuable diagnostic suggestion after you had suggested it.

Which does leave us/him with a misbehaving YouView box, possibly broken internally, possibly just needing a reset of the appropriate severity, which is the next thing Sage should try.

Assuming that he hasn’t already, and assuming that he is still with us.....

• SageSage Posts: 4Member
    edited 16 May 2018, 1:49AM
    I had already tested the cables before posting this thread, stating it was an issue with the box. 
    I only really posted because while I'd read some owners' reviews that this model doesn't perform well in areas of poorer reception; it hadn't occurred to me, so probably wouldn't to many others, that the pass through might also adversely affect reception on a TV tuner.

I even made a fresh connection on my antenna lead using a new aerial plug to rule out corrosion on the plug/cable and also to rule out the remote possibility that a small amount of rain water might have got in the coax core (which had there been any (there wasn't) could have created a short at the plug that clears itself when the plug was higher up in the back of the telly).

I retested my youview box today to see how it performed under a different signal strength, having left the box powered without an antenna connected.

On UHF 37 (602000 khz) today with antenna directly connected to my telly, my TV reported  30% signal strength with 100% Signal Quality (about 10% lower strength than when I previously posted) and had a good solid reception with no break up.

But connected via the youview box's antenna out the TV tuner's reported signal strength actually went up this time, mostly into the 40s, but jumping around occasionally (sometimes 20%, sometimes 0%), signal strength varied from 12 - 50%, and the picture on the same channel on that mux was blocky and breaking up.   

I think my box just needs a stronger signal than I currently get on some muxes to mask the noise the tuner/amp  produces.

Anyway, I intend to scrap the box once I viewed all the recordings on it, my brother showed me his terrestrial TV set-up using a tuner on an old PC and the guide was at least as good and software he's using looked better than both Youview and my freeview set.