No pictures in the recordings list/library

13»

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,418Member, Champion mod
    Visionman said:
    This is interesting. After performing an MM2 my list of scheduled recordings is still there when I expected it to be blank.
    As @Daniel, I and others have noted - the scheduled recordings info is also stored in the cloud now and is restored to the box after an MM2 (although from my experience it can take up to 30 minutes for them all to appear again so try not to do an MM2 too close to a planned recording) :)
  • SarahSarah Posts: 935Administrator admin
    morsoft said:
    Tried the MM2 reset and guess what - I have now lost all the tiles on recordings past and present!! Intead of a ribbon of recently recorded programs it merely says MyTv is empty. I tried recording something new and still no tile. I hated the tiles in the first place but am now really annoyed. Youview have really messed up. Please sort this out.
    DTRT2120
    component software 3.3.152(bd97c9)
    Manufacturer software 29.58.0

We're sorry to hear that the MM2 reset made the problem worse for you @morsoft. I've added this to the information we provided our investigating team with so they are aware. As you have a Plusnet box, can you confirm if you're still with Plusnet or not?

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Ben WrigleyBen Wrigley Posts: 3Member
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Ben Wrigley

Welcome to the forum :) 

If you've not done so already, can you please try doing a Maintenance Mode 2 on your box? This will keep your recordings but it could reset your settings so if you've changed these at all, we suggest noting down anything you want to remember so you can easily change the settings again after the MM2. 

Let us know how you get on with that.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Will try MM2 when I can prize the family away from the TV.

I did check my other DTR-T1000, which has never been used with the Harmony Hub to directly enter the recordings screen. This is behaving entirely normally, with all of the recording images intact.

I might also experiment by using this box with the Harmony to directly enter the recordings screen to see whether or not it introduces the missing images problem.

I'll report back.

• morsoftmorsoft Posts: 4Member
    Sarah said:
    morsoft said:
    Tried the MM2 reset and guess what - I have now lost all the tiles on recordings past and present!! Intead of a ribbon of recently recorded programs it merely says MyTv is empty. I tried recording something new and still no tile. I hated the tiles in the first place but am now really annoyed. Youview have really messed up. Please sort this out.
    DTRT2120

We're sorry to hear that the MM2 reset made the problem worse for you @morsoft. I've added this to the information we provided our investigating team with so they are aware. As you have a Plusnet box, can you confirm if you're still with Plusnet or not?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Yes I'm a Plusnet user. I 've just tried MM1 with no difference and then MM2 again and most of the tiles have returned 😀.  There are 4 missing tiles out of 4 pages of recordings and 1 missing tile out of 1 page of scheduled recordings.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 746Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2018, 12:58PM
    Post removed - I missed page three of this thread before posting :( and @Keith has already answered.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • SarahSarah Posts: 935Administrator admin
    morsoft said:
    Sarah said:
    morsoft said:
    DTRT2120

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Yes I'm a Plusnet user. I 've just tried MM1 with no difference and then MM2 again and most of the tiles have returned 😀.  There are 4 missing tiles out of 4 pages of recordings and 1 missing tile out of 1 page of scheduled recordings.
    Thanks for letting me know @morsoft. Of the 4 which are missing on your recordings page, how many are missing from the 25th April onward? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • morsoftmorsoft Posts: 4Member
    Sarah said:
    morsoft said:
    Sarah said:
    morsoft said:
    DTRT2120

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks for letting me know @morsoft. Of the 4 which are missing on your recordings page, how many are missing from the 25th April onward? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah. Only 1 since 25th April and that is for a Eurosport program. The scheduled recording with the missing tile is for later today and that is also Eurosport.
    Malcolm
  • f1charlief1charlie Posts: 15Member
    The recording tiles pictures reappeared for me today.  However I still can't reconnect to the box (BT DTR-T1000) from the app :# .
  • Ben WrigleyBen Wrigley Posts: 3Member

I noticed on Friday that the pitcures on the recordings tiles had re-appeared for me as well - before I got the chance to try MM2.

Unlike @f1charlie the iOS app is connected to my box and the MyTV recordingls list is now up to date as well.

• scotty16scotty16 Posts: 6Member

Reporting Back – Last Time 

It’s now three weeks since my successful MM2 cleared all my permanent blank tiles. I just want to report that, as I suspected, there is another, very minor, problem which causes temporary blank tiles. I thought it was random but I've spotted a pattern. 

You do need to have a remote which has a dedicated “My View” button (in place of the search button). Use this button to go straight to your recordings and start playing one. If, whilst playing this, another scheduled recording(s) begins then the new recording(s) will have a blank tile(s). Going to the “My View” screen the long way, via the “YouView” button, clears these temporary tiles (leaving the box overnight does the same I found).

I don’t think these two problems are connected (DAVSEE reported they had an original remote & had permanent blanks). I’d really like to know what happened on the 25th of April.

• KeatonKeaton Posts: 1Member
    Is this issue still being investigated? My tiles have been mostly blank for the last few months but I just assumed they'd sort themselves out. I did a reset today and now they're all blank
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,543Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2018, 8:05AM
    I put our box on yesterday to watch Countdown, which we had recorded earlier because BT Overreach were coming to investigate our <2Mbps (instead of our usual 25Mpbs!) broadband.

And all our tiles were blank, because at that particular moment, BT had our broadband right off.

But it got me to thinking why? What aren’t the thumbnails cached by the box? Instead, presumably, every YouView box out there, when it is fired up, has to go and get the thumbnail for every recording it holds, or at least to attempt to; and when it can’t, what was a bright array of thumbnails just an hour ago is now just a set of black boxes.

It seems to me there is a lot of unnecessary bandwidth consumption at both ends and also an unnecessary delay in the current strategy, quite apart from the rich set of circumstances in which those thumbnails fail to (re)appear; something that could be avoided if the box cached the thumbnails.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,418Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 July 2018, 8:59AM
    Roy said:

But it got me to thinking why? What aren’t the thumbnails cached by the box? Instead, presumably, every YouView box out there, when it is fired up, has to go and get the thumbnail for every recording it holds, or at least to attempt to; and when it can’t, what was a bright array of thumbnails just an hour ago is now just a set of black boxes.

It seems to me there is a lot of unnecessary bandwidth consumption at both ends and also an unnecessary delay in the current strategy, quite apart from the rich set of circumstances in which those thumbnails fail to (re)appear; something that could be avoided if the box cached the thumbnails.
    A possible factor in why YouView do not cache the images between sessions would be digital rights. One of the reasons for images ceasing to exist for some older recordings has been stated as limited digital rights for the image.

That said I would consider caching the images with a time stamp such that the box logic would recheck the image periodically (say every 7 days). If when it checks it is told the image is no longer permitted then it removes it. If when it checks the connection fails, then subject to some retry logic and grace period (say 3 days) it could also then wipe the image. Such a strategy would seem to make the images much more robust and reduce bandwidth needs, whilst still demonstrating a robust strategy for conforming to digital rights needs.
    Thanks Keith

At last an explanation of why the covers of my hardback books turn black after a while!

Oh wait - they don’t. What a nonsense the way these ‘digital rights’ are enforced is.

If YouView really can’t use an external thumbnail any more, the entire recorded programme on my box is at their disposal to select a frame from  :p
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,736Member ✭✭✭
    You have digital hardback books??   :open_mouth:
    redchiz said:
    You have digital hardback books??   :open_mouth:
    Have you ever tried to roll up a Kindle?
    I wouldn't touch a Kindle with yours. Other ebook readers are available. :wink:
    redchiz said:
    I wouldn't touch a Kindle with yours. Other ebook readers are available. :wink:
    Sounds like that ‘Can I use your Dictaphone?’ joke.....  :#
      :D :D :D  
13»