Advance Warning - Box is planning to miss a recording

RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
edited 11 May 2018, 5:35PM in Support
Our T2000 did not record Homes Under The Hammer on BBC HD 101 this morning, and does not report a failed recording; it is acting as if there was no recording to get.

The same is true for this coming Monday; HUTH is on as usual at 10am, but the next episode scheduled, on box and app alike, is the Tuesday edition.

We don’t have a backlog of HUTHs, so it’s not like it’s an old one we already have recorded coming round again.

I suspect a Series Crid issue at the BBC, possibly.

After Tuesday, the schedule skips Wednesday, plans to get Thursday, skips Friday; HUTH is on at 10:00 on BBC 1 HD as normal every weekday of next week, though.

@Sarah, can you possibly get this remedied prior to the broadcast time, thus avoiding me suffering Lysistratan sanctions?
‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley

Comments

  • jimbjimb Posts: 953Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

    @Sarah, can you possibly get this remedied prior to the broadcast time, thus avoiding me suffering Lysistratan sanctions?
    Too much information. 
     :/ 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,766Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 May 2018, 5:41PM
    There is a little info on the BT forum

    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Failed-Recording/td-p/1838724/page/4

    We've been working with Youview around the issues we've seen with the DTT Freeview recordings - we're pretty clear when that started and testing components to see why the "wake up" calls that get written when a recording is scheduled are apparantly not triggering. As some of you have seen if you're watching the the same content and hit the STB remote, the recording starts even if past due, so the event is there, it's the trigger that's "missing" which is what we're focusing on.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 847Member ✭✭
    Roy said:
    Our T2000 did not record Homes Under The Hammer on BBC HD 101 this morning, and does not report a failed recording; it is acting as if there was no recording to get.

    The same is true for this coming Monday; HUTH is on as usual at 10am, but the next episode scheduled, on box and app alike, is the Tuesday edition.

    We don’t have a backlog of HUTHs, so it’s not like it’s an old one we already have recorded coming round again.

    I suspect a Series Crid issue at the BBC, possibly.

    After Tuesday, the schedule skips Wednesday, plans to get Thursday, skips Friday; HUTH is on at 10:00 on BBC 1 HD as normal every weekday of next week, though.

    @Sarah, can you possibly get this remedied prior to the broadcast time, thus avoiding me suffering Lysistratan sanctions?
     The HUTH Series Crids as viewed on my Humax Fox-T2 for today thru next week look to be the same value. If I set a series recording on that T2  and on my Youview T4000 for Monday’s HUTH they both pick up all the episodes.  
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 May 2018, 9:58PM
    scott said:
    There is a little info on the BT forum

    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Failed-Recording/td-p/1838724/page/4

    We've been working with Youview around the issues we've seen with the DTT Freeview recordings - we're pretty clear when that started and testing components to see why the "wake up" calls that get written when a recording is scheduled are apparantly not triggering. As some of you have seen if you're watching the the same content and hit the STB remote, the recording starts even if past due, so the event is there, it's the trigger that's "missing" which is what we're focusing on.
    Thanks @Scott, but this goes deeper. It’s not just missing a scheduled trigger, it’s missing that the programme is scheduled at all.

    And thanks, @zulu17, for confirming that this isn’t a CRID issue, though in that case, the mystery deepens. I have noted that the episodes being recorded are from Series 22, and the ones that aren’t are from Series 19, which is intermingled, but if the CRIDs are correct, this shouldn’t matter. And hopefully, the YouView box is not retaining a folk memory of watched, but deleted, Series 19 episodes from their original showings, long ago.

    Time for an MM4, I fear, if this issue is mine alone, though for the moment I have just set a Series recording off Monday’s BBC 1 HD episode, to see what happens.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 847Member ✭✭
    @Roy ;
    here is the info I got off the fox T2

  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 May 2018, 9:06AM
    Attempting to Series record the Monday episode successfully set a recording for that, but did not bring back Wednesday and Friday. 

    After a soft reset, things stayed the same. But then, deleting the Monday scheduled recording (which deleted the rest of the HUTH schedules as well, memo to YouView to bring back the ‘delete individual programmes from a series’ functionality that OldGen had) and then setting a Series recording from the Monday episode has brought back all of next week’s episodes to the Schedule.

    I am always amazed at the capability of a YouView box, when it goes wrong, to go wrong in the same sort of a way that a human would, by not quite doing what you want, instead of imploding in a shower of sparks. Having seen derailed cash machines and parking machines revealing their Windows underpinnings by forlornly waiting at the CLI for someone to reboot them, and even Android phones dropping into the raw OS, the ability of YouView boxes to keep presenting their friendly UI, and never reveal their Linux roots, is nothing short of remarkable.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 658Administrator admin
    Hi @Roy
    Just to confirm, has the issue resolved itself with the HUTH scheduled recordings? 
    Has anyone else here experienced the same issue with their series & scheduled recordings?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Roy
    Just to confirm, has the issue resolved itself with the HUTH scheduled recordings? 
    Has anyone else here experienced the same issue with their series & scheduled recordings?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    All solved by the soft reset, it seems, @Sarah

    I bet if you asked the Dev team to make the box do deliberately what it had managed to do all on its own, they would shake their heads and give up  :p

    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Max2010Max2010 Posts: 28Member
    This is what my box did Roy then it started locking up on a tv program and then now when i software updated has seemed to have turned my box into a brick
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
    edited 15 May 2018, 11:38PM
    Max2010 said:
    This is what my box did Roy then it started locking up on a tv program and then now when i software updated has seemed to have turned my box into a brick
    Yes, they can do that, especially the older, original, models  :'(

    it does seem that updates stress boxes such that those already a bit iffy, as you describe, can fail altogether. One of the modes of this is that the box knows it is in distress, and so puts itself through a Maintenance Mode reset to see if this will clear things.

    Which is a good idea, but sometimes the issues can’t be overcome by the reset, and you become the proud (or disgruntled) owner of a brick.

    But a bit more info might help us advise you better on what to do next; so what box model have you got, how old is it, where did it come from, and are you on subscription, with BT or TT?

    EDIT: I now see it is an ex-TalkTalk-subscription DN370T, the oldest Huawei box, from one of your many other posts tonight.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
Sign In or Register to comment.