Amazon Prime on BTTV Platform

scottscott Posts: 1,787Member ✭✭✭
edited 16 May 2018, 12:50PM in News

This seems like an official announcement to me :-

'BT TV will include the Amazon Video app in addition to Netflix and customers will be able to access Now TV from 2019, giving them the widest range of content on any set top box in the UK. BT will be the first major UK TV platform to offer Prime Video through its set top boxes, allowing Prime Members to access thousands of TV episodes and movies, including award-winning Prime Originals and exclusive series like The Grand Tour, The Man in the High Castle, Lucifer, and Vikings.'

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/new-consumer-business-unit-of-bt-group-unveils-plan-to-deliver-uks-first-converged-products-and-provide-uks-best-customer-service-11364272098735?s_cid=con_cic_aff_affwin_vidAJM_broadband&vendorid=AJM&utm_source=Affwin&utm_medium=Ref&utm_campaign=Affiliate_78888&awc=3041_1526470955_05232edd260a79aaeab1c8cae047d0fe

Thanks to EmsPops for highlighting this feature on another forum...

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 1,920Member ✭✭
    Good find! YouView need to make an offcial announcement soon I imagine. 

Also it says:

The new BT TV App will allow customers to download and play content on the move for the first time, and will also be available on many more TV and digital platforms including Samsung Smart TVs, Apple TV and Google Chromecast

I’m not a BT customer, is this an open app, or just for BTtv subscribers?  

• scottscott Posts: 1,787Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2018, 1:49PM
    Joe said:
    Good find! YouView need to make an offcial announcement soon I imagine. 

Also it says:

The new BT TV App will allow customers to download and play content on the move for the first time, and will also be available on many more TV and digital platforms including Samsung Smart TVs, Apple TV and Google Chromecast

I’m not a BT customer, is this an open app, or just for BTtv subscribers?  

Good question, I know one of the main pulls of the BTTV app is the ability to watch all the IP Channels live on the go (as well as on demand and store purchases) and as such will obviously only be useful to people with a BTTV subscription to those channels but I don't know if they will open the app out to let non-subscribers use it for store purchase etc (somehow I think the answer is probably no).

It will mean I can now cast all my purchases onto my upstairs TV and possibly the live IP channels (so a sort of half baked multi room without any additional cost). 

Seenit have stated it is coming 'this month', not sure I believe that.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-tv-to-add-amazon-prime-video-and-launch-new-app-on-samsung-tvs-google-chromecast-and-apple-tv/

'Prime Video is coming to BT TV this month'

Well there you are...

All this mention of BTTV, I’m guessing this will also be available across retail YouView too? As with Netflix, initial press release is all BTTV. Guess we can rest assured this is coming to all YouView users.

Sounds like you’re right about the BTtv app Scott. It’s a way of accessing the BTTV Subscribers package, not an open access thingy. 
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 163Member
    edited 16 May 2018, 2:47PM
    This was leaked several weeks ago. Old news now.
    edited 16 May 2018, 2:50PM
    This was 'leaked' a while ago and is probably one of the worst kept secrets BUT now BT have officially announced it, it can be talked about openly and it would be good to hear from YouView about their stance on it...
    *All eyes turn to YouView*
    I would think YouvView should be busy sorting failed recordings and myTV image missing problems.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,846Member ✭✭
    Hopefully this comes to retail as well
    Looks like it’s coming May 2018 according to this tweet from a presentation:

https://twitter.com/paolopescatore/status/996707848724807681?s=21
    And this tweet showing Amazon in action on the YouView platform:

https://twitter.com/paolopescatore/status/996761064783187968?s=21
    edited 16 May 2018, 8:06PM
    Well it’s all that there in the public domain...Over to you YouView. 

Great news for the platform (providing this comes to Youview as a whole). Full Nowtv in early 2019 and Amazon this or next month according to those tweets. 
    Sounds like next month with a fair wind..
    Why all this excitement, it was known and reported on here weeks ago.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,836Member ✭✭✭
    Why? Because its a positive change?
    As previous comment @Visionman because it is old news.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,936Member ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    They say under BT TV. So even those whose ISP is BT won’t be able to get it unless they join BT TV.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 16 May 2018, 9:08PM
    "The new BT TV App will allow customers to download and play content on the move for the first time, and will also be available on many more TV and digital platforms including Samsung Smart TVs, Apple TV and Google Chromecast."

Well, that only took them six years...
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    They say under BT TV. So even those whose ISP is BT won’t be able to get it unless they join BT TV.
    Well the same thing happened with the Netflix announcement. It was all BT to start with, then it became apparent it was platform wide. 
    If Amazon prime is BT only then that will be a nail in the coffin of YouView retail. Been with YouView since before launch, big supporter, but if BT puts up walls to apps that are widely available everywhere else, then i’ll be looking elsewhere.
    I understand the makers of EEtv are going to launch a new freeview play box with amazon and Netflix sitting along side bbc iplayer. 
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,846Member ✭✭
    As much as I like youview and I have been patient waiting for Amazon to show up on the boxes so if Amazon is bt only I will be changing my set top box to something that is not youview. I'm still waiting for hide channels to return in full form. For someone who has been incredibly positive about youview over the years if this is locked to bt that positive feedback from me will cease to exist. 
    Netgem? Hardly a household name. Though have you got a link to that story, Joe?
    Visionman said:
    Netgem? Hardly a household name. Though have you got a link to that story, Joe?
    Here’s a link to a thread on Twitter: 

https://twitter.com/seenituk/status/994531108481007616?s=21
    I’d much rather carry on as a strong supporter of YouView, and I imagine I will....however if the worse fears are realised - it fractures, and retail YouView is blocked from mainstream apps, then the reason that I’m here has gone. I’d reluctantly have to leave, and find a home with freeview play or freesat.

I very much doubt that will happen, and I hope to carry on with my enthusiastic support for YouView.
    I like this confirmation 

The universal search function – which can find matching content across all catch-up and on demand players – on the YouView boxes BT provides as part of its TV service offers just such a solution.

I'd ignore that website as a reliable source of info. Hes just a blogger (and Sky sponsored). 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 235Member ✭✭
    edited 16 May 2018, 10:12PM
    Amazon Prime app on BT Youview boxes is good but I'm more looking forward to the new look BT TV app that's meant to be coming soon.
    Aslo although I do shop with Amazon at times and now have 3 Amazon Echos in the house. The original Echo, the 2nd Gen Echo and as of the day I now have the Echo Spot that I got of QVC at the weekend as a TSV price.  I don't plan on getting Amazon Prime and I'm happy with Netflix as well as BT TV.

Darren
    Visionman said:
    I'd ignore that website as a reliable source of info. Hes just a blogger (and Sky sponsored). 
    @dreamtime
    Why do you disagree?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,936Member ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    As much as I like youview and I have been patient waiting for Amazon to show up on the boxes so if Amazon is bt only I will be changing my set top box to something that is not youview. I'm still waiting for hide channels to return in full form. For someone who has been incredibly positive about youview over the years if this is locked to bt that positive feedback from me will cease to exist. 
    Honestly, I don’t know what the fuss is about. You can get a dongle for pocket change which will provide these ‘missing’ services, if your TV doesn’t provide them anyway, leaving only the minor annoyance that their programmes aren’t integrated into the YouView Discover and Search features.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Honestly, I don’t know what the fuss is about. You can get a dongle for pocket change which will provide these ‘missing’ services, if your TV doesn’t provide them anyway, leaving only the minor annoyance that their programmes aren’t integrated into the YouView Discover and Search features.
    Much rather just get them all in one box with one remote.
    Though visiting my parents who have budget Samsung tv sporting all the mainstream apps and more, i’m amazed it’s taken YouView so long to get to this point.