Amazon Prime on BTTV Platform

24

Comments

  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2018, 9:41PM

    Joe said:
    I’d much rather carry on as a strong supporter of YouView, and I imagine I will....however if the worse fears are realised - it fractures, and retail YouView is blocked from mainstream apps, then the reason that I’m here has gone. I’d reluctantly have to leave, and find a home with freeview play or freesat.

    I very much doubt that will happen, and I hope to carry on with my enthusiastic support for YouView.
    It’s already fractured, albeit in a minor, but telling, way. Netflix in surround sound is only available on the BT T4000 box.

    A technical fracture rather than a commercial one I am sure, but unlike Netflix in UHD, which clearly only the T4000 can do, any box should be able to support Netflix in 5.1

    Expect more fractures along the way.

    A thought: Given that BT have an annoying habit of confusing BT TV (their value-add for YouView) with YouView itself, it may be that Amazon Video will pop up outside of the bit labelled BT TV for those whose ISP is BT, and be generally available to all YouView boxes, just like Netflix was.
    But I’m not holding my breath.....
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2018, 10:12PM
    Roy said:

    Joe said:
    I’d much rather carry on as a strong supporter of YouView, and I imagine I will....however if the worse fears are realised - it fractures, and retail YouView is blocked from mainstream apps, then the reason that I’m here has gone. I’d reluctantly have to leave, and find a home with freeview play or freesat.

    I very much doubt that will happen, and I hope to carry on with my enthusiastic support for YouView.
    It’s already fractured, albeit in a minor, but telling, way. Netflix in surround sound is only available on the BT T4000 box.

    A technical fracture rather than a commercial one I am sure, but unlike Netflix in UHD, which clearly only the T4000 can do, any box should be able to support Netflix in 5.1

    Expect more fractures along the way.

    A thought: Given that BT have an annoying habit of confusing BT TV (their value-add for YouView) with YouView itself, it may be that Amazon Video will pop up outside of the bit labelled BT TV for those whose ISP is BT, and be generally available to all YouView boxes, just like Netflix was.
    But I’m not holding my breath.....
    The failure to bring 5.1 surround to all youview boxes is a pretty awful. You’re right Roy there have been a number of content issues, which have been dictated by BT. The surround sound issue on Netflix is a point in hand. 

    Also the paired down version of Nowtv is due to commercial ranglings between BT and Sky. The plus side is, now that they’ve buried the hatchet we should eventually see these other mainstream services on YouView...unless BT also wish to bury the retail arm of YouView.

  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    I've known about this for months. Indeed there are a few on here (and I mean quite a few) who pre-publicly already have it. So what?

    Those with YouView TVs (like me) have had it for years and I'm of the opinion the GUI isn't that good or intuitive (indeed, its awkward) and it doesn't come with masses of top line content. Plus its available far and wide, very cheaply, elsewhere. Up to now I only know its a BT'er. But I would be amazed if it stayed that way and wasn't pushed to TT, PN and retail.

    Early days yet, so I wouldn't personally speculate devastating doom and gloom too much, if at all. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2018, 6:10AM
    Joe said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    As much as I like youview and I have been patient waiting for Amazon to show up on the boxes so if Amazon is bt only I will be changing my set top box to something that is not youview. I'm still waiting for hide channels to return in full form. For someone who has been incredibly positive about youview over the years if this is locked to bt that positive feedback from me will cease to exist. 
    Honestly, I don’t know what the fuss is about. You can get a dongle for pocket change which will provide these ‘missing’ services, if your TV doesn’t provide them anyway, leaving only the minor annoyance that their programmes aren’t integrated into the YouView Discover and Search features.
    Much rather just get them all in one box with one remote.
    Though visiting my parents who have budget Samsung tv sporting all the mainstream apps and more, i’m amazed it’s taken YouView so long to get to this point.
    I wonder if YouView can transparently adopt the metadata of third-party apps into its Search and Discover features, or if this requires changes and extensions on the part of those third parties?

    If so, this might explain a few things about such delays.

    I note that even now, on a well-established service such as BBC 4, that its metadata can suddenly go walkabout, which suggests that these areas don’t just run themselves, but need constant attention.


    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2018, 6:32AM
    Joe said:
    Roy said:

    Joe said:
    I’d much rather carry on as a strong supporter of YouView, and I imagine I will....however if the worse fears are realised - it fractures, and retail YouView is blocked from mainstream apps, then the reason that I’m here has gone. I’d reluctantly have to leave, and find a home with freeview play or freesat.

    I very much doubt that will happen, and I hope to carry on with my enthusiastic support for YouView.
    It’s already fractured, albeit in a minor, but telling, way. Netflix in surround sound is only available on the BT T4000 box.

    A technical fracture rather than a commercial one I am sure, but unlike Netflix in UHD, which clearly only the T4000 can do, any box should be able to support Netflix in 5.1

    Expect more fractures along the way.

    A thought: Given that BT have an annoying habit of confusing BT TV (their value-add for YouView) with YouView itself, it may be that Amazon Video will pop up outside of the bit labelled BT TV for those whose ISP is BT, and be generally available to all YouView boxes, just like Netflix was.
    But I’m not holding my breath.....
    The failure to bring 5.1 surround to all youview boxes is a pretty awful. You’re right Roy there have been a number of content issues, which have been dictated by BT. The surround sound issue on Netflix is a point in hand. 

    Also the paired down version of Nowtv is due to commercial wranglings between BT and Sky. The plus side is, now that they’ve buried the hatchet we should eventually see these other mainstream services on YouView...unless BT also wish to bury the retail arm of YouView.

    BT aren’t in a position to bury the retail arm of YouView; the BBC wouldn’t stand for it, and all the sport in the world would not make up for the sudden loss of all BBC channels from YouView.

    Actually, BT aren’t in a position to do anything much; anyone who could do the simple maths of dividing the costs of the sports rights they have been buying over the last few years by the likely number of paying punters it would attract, directly or indirectly, and comparing the result with the actual revenue coming in, could have predicted their current predicament.

    Where the only bottom line enhanced by the bidding war between Sky and BT (both of whom have now rather pulled their horns in) belonged to Ferrari  :p


    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 178Member
    edited 17 May 2018, 7:33AM
    There aren't any BBC stations on Youview, they are on Freeview. It is only the BBC iPlayer that is on Youview. Youview is mainly Freeview with the IP delivery bits.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    Agree with Visionman, I think Amazon Prime will come to retail YouView. If the mainstream app doesn’t arrive platform wide it will signal the end of retail Youview as a concept and the PSB involvement, which I think is unlikely. 

    Just as well Amazon has some top line content planned other wise it could be a flop. $750 million lord of the rings series anyone? :) 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2018, 8:06AM
    Roy said:
    Joe said:
    Roy said:

    Joe said:
    I’d much rather carry on as a strong supporter of YouView, and I imagine I will....however if the worse fears are realised - it fractures, and retail YouView is blocked from mainstream apps, then the reason that I’m here has gone. I’d reluctantly have to leave, and find a home with freeview play or freesat.

    I very much doubt that will happen, and I hope to carry on with my enthusiastic support for YouView.
    It’s already fractured, albeit in a minor, but telling, way. Netflix in surround sound is only available on the BT T4000 box.

    A technical fracture rather than a commercial one I am sure, but unlike Netflix in UHD, which clearly only the T4000 can do, any box should be able to support Netflix in 5.1

    Expect more fractures along the way.

    A thought: Given that BT have an annoying habit of confusing BT TV (their value-add for YouView) with YouView itself, it may be that Amazon Video will pop up outside of the bit labelled BT TV for those whose ISP is BT, and be generally available to all YouView boxes, just like Netflix was.
    But I’m not holding my breath.....
    The failure to bring 5.1 surround to all youview boxes is a pretty awful. You’re right Roy there have been a number of content issues, which have been dictated by BT. The surround sound issue on Netflix is a point in hand. 

    Also the paired down version of Nowtv is due to commercial wranglings between BT and Sky. The plus side is, now that they’ve buried the hatchet we should eventually see these other mainstream services on YouView...unless BT also wish to bury the retail arm of YouView.

    BT aren’t in a position to bury the retail arm of YouView; the BBC wouldn’t stand for it, and all the sport in the world would not make up for the sudden loss of all BBC channels from YouView.

    Actually, BT aren’t in a position to do anything much; anyone who could do the simple maths of dividing the costs of the sports rights they have been buying over the last few years by the likely number of paying punters it would attract, directly or indirectly, and comparing the result with the actual revenue coming in, could have predicted their current predicament.

    Where the only bottom line enhanced by the bidding war between Sky and BT (both of whom have now rather pulled their horns in) belonged to Ferrari  :p


    Poor view, the predicament BT are in are because the market has dropped out of it's Global Services and Public sector market and the squeeze by regulation. Consumer and EE are the ones actually increasing revenue. Also there are far more sums than Rights costs Vs Paying subscribers. There are advertising revenues, Pubs and Clubs, capture of BB and Mobile Quad play retention any many many more factors.

    That said I agree BT would not be forcing YouView NOT to have Amazon, I believe that decision in entirely in YouView's grasp, either by not being able to agree terms themselves with Amazon or not wanting to support the app themselves or (as many predict) by just not actually announcing that they will be having it yet....

  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    scott said:

    Poor view, the predicament BT are in are because the market has dropped out of it's Global Services and Public sector market and the squeeze by regulation. Consumer and EE are the ones actually increasing revenue. Also there are far more sums than Rights costs Vs Paying subscribers. There are advertising revenues, Pubs and Clubs, capture of BB and Mobile Quad play retention any many many more factors.

    That said I agree BT would not be forcing YouView NOT to have Amazon, I believe that decision in entirely in YouView's grasp, either by not being able to agree terms themselves with Amazon or not wanting to support the app themselves or (as many predict) by just not actually announcing that they will be having it yet....

    Consumer Operating Profit 2015/2016 £848m
    Consumer Operating Profit 2016/2017 £803m
    Consumer Operating Profit 2017/2018 £807m
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2018, 1:51PM
    Roy said:
    scott said:

    Poor view, the predicament BT are in are because the market has dropped out of it's Global Services and Public sector market and the squeeze by regulation. Consumer and EE are the ones actually increasing revenue. Also there are far more sums than Rights costs Vs Paying subscribers. There are advertising revenues, Pubs and Clubs, capture of BB and Mobile Quad play retention any many many more factors.

    That said I agree BT would not be forcing YouView NOT to have Amazon, I believe that decision in entirely in YouView's grasp, either by not being able to agree terms themselves with Amazon or not wanting to support the app themselves or (as many predict) by just not actually announcing that they will be having it yet....

    Consumer Operating Profit 2015/2016 £848m
    Consumer Operating Profit 2016/2017 £803m
    Consumer Operating Profit 2017/2018 £807m
    BT Consumer Fourth quarter to 31 March
    Year to 31 March
    2018
    2017
    Change
    2018
    2017
    Change
    £m
    £m
    £m
    %
    £m
    £m
    £m
    %
    Revenue
    1,289
    1,246
    43
    3
    5,066
    4,934
    132
    3
    Operating costs
    994
    985
    9
    1
    4,043
    3,922
    121
    3
    EBITDA
    295
    261
    34
    13
    1,023
    1,012
    11
    1
    Depreciation & amortisation
    57
    53
    4
    8
    216
    209
    7
    3
    Operating profit
    238
    208
    30
    14
    807
    803
    4
    -
    Capital expenditure
    92
    72
    20
    28
    291
    237
    54
    23
    Normalised free cash flow
    243
    159
    84
    53
    635
    709
    (74
    )
    (10
    )

    Revenue for the quarter and full year increased 3% driven by growth in Broadband, TV, Sport and Mobile, partially offset by line losses. BT Consumer 12-month rolling ARPU increased 5% to £41.7 per month, underpinned by the impact of price increases from January 2018 and fibre customer growth. Revenue generating units1 per customer grew 3% to 2.03.

    https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Quarterlyresults/2017-2018/Q4/Downloads/Newsrelease/q418-release.pdf

    BT Consumer revenue generating units per customer increased 3% to 2.03, with ARPU up 5% to £41.7

    Order intake, on a rolling 12-month basis, up 1% to £3,391m for Business and Public Sector, down 28% to £1,419m for Wholesale and Ventures and down 17% to £3,845m for Global Services, reflecting market conditions and our strategy to exit lower margin business

    Business and Public Sector Operating Profit 2016/2017 £1176m
    Business and Public Sector  Operating Profit 2017/2018 £1053m  (DOWN 123 million - 10%)Revenue DOWN 4%

    Global Services Operating Profit 2016/2017 £56m
    Global Services Operating Profit 2017/2018 £10m  (DOWN 46 million - 82%)   Revenue DOWN 9%                   

    Like I said Consumer profit up 4 million with revenue up 132 million...You struggle to increase profit while your revenue is declining. Consumer is at least pushing in the right direction....

    If you go back further you will see Consumer Operating Profit for 2013/14 when they started in sports was £614m so even though it wavers it has still helped increase profit


  • scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    And just to draw a line under this and get back to the topic please, the 'predicament' BT find themselves in, as you put it, is that they only made £3.991 Billion operating profit this year as opposed to £4.135 Billion last year. I could think of worse 'predicament's' to be in :)
  • David8David8 Posts: 644Member ✭✭
    Oh dear quoting financials like you run the company........the mind boggles 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    scott said:
    And just to draw a line under this and get back to the topic please, the 'predicament' BT find themselves in, as you put it, is that they only made £3.991 Billion operating profit this year as opposed to £4.135 Billion last year. I could think of worse 'predicament's' to be in :)
    Is the glass half full, or is it half empty? Let’s see what the coming year brings, while noting BT’s slow retreat from sport as a free driver for increased broadband subscriber take-up, to a paid service for all its users.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭

    David8 said:
    Oh dear quoting financials like you run the company........the mind boggles 
    Best not invest in anything as long as you hold that view then, @David8; put your money under your mattress, or at best let a FTSE 100 tracker run with it for you  :p
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    Without getting involved in anything on here, BT Sport is here to stay.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 178Member
    Visionman said:
    Without getting involved in anything on here, BT Sport is here to stay.
    @visionman.off topic. See thread title.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    Awww, aren't you the darling?
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 178Member
    What goes around comes around @Visionman
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 18 May 2018, 5:34PM
    Hi guys, 

    Amazon Video is joining the content line up and will launch on BT first. The date is yet to be confirmed and when we have more news we will share it on the forum.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Phil. That confirms that it will roll out to the whole of YouView eventually. I imagine the same approach for Nowtv next year too.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,732Member ✭✭✭
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 128Member
    Jealous Sky Q user here,
    with the worst version of YouView on my Sony TV. 

    Id love Sky, Netflix & Amazon Prime on my Sky Q box, along with YouTube & Spotify. 

    Not sure how good Now TV will be but to use the 1 remote will be an advantage for BT TV users. 

    Is there any mention of Amazon Prime on YouView or just on BT TV.

    im sure TalkTalk customers & YouView customers are watching the situation closely.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    DJHB1980 said:
    Jealous Sky Q user here,
    with the worst version of YouView on my Sony TV. 

    Id love Sky, Netflix & Amazon Prime on my Sky Q box, along with YouTube & Spotify. 

    Not sure how good Now TV will be but to use the 1 remote will be an advantage for BT TV users. 

    Is there any mention of Amazon Prime on YouView or just on BT TV.

    im sure TalkTalk customers & YouView customers are watching the situation closely.
    The only information we have regarding a YouView wide launch is Phil’s official statement above. From the wording of that little snippet I think it’s safe to say yes, it will be coming to the platform as a whole, but BT users will get it first. 
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,732Member ✭✭✭
    Welcome news in a way, but otherwise I don't see the fuss to be honest, there are so many other ways, with a Roku and Chromecast the world is your lobster, Rodney. ;)

  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 743Member ✭✭✭


    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    I guess this is a significant U.K. development. It represents coming of age for Amazon becoming mainstream, sitting along side PSB’s, and ISP’s with there respective apps and traditional style broadcasting.  
    Having Amazon integrated so intimately with mainstream TV is going to open up its programming to a lot more people, many who’ve probably no idea about chrome casts or fire TVs, and have no desire to stick a dongle in their Televisions.

    Tv has changed pretty dramatically over the last 5 years. Coming of age for YouView too embracing the new big players in tv.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,732Member ✭✭✭
    You haven't seen Amazon or Netflix on any smart TVs released in the last few years? Don't you think that is where most punters are likely to find it integrated with "mainstream" TV?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    TV viewing habits have changed drastically over the last few years. With even traditional linear channel 1 - 5 viewers watching catch up. In fact, the fact they know about catch up in the first place and how to access and watch it speaks volumes.

    YouView will be the first platform to host Amazon, Netflix and all 4 PSB players side by side.
    Not bad.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,732Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 May 2018, 9:23PM
    Visionman said:

    YouView will be the first platform to host Amazon, Netflix and all 4 PSB players side by side.
    Not bad.

     Huh? Loads of smart TVs do that already, don't they? Apple TV? Roku?
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 178Member
    edited 18 May 2018, 9:39PM
    My LG TV has had all of them and more for 2 years.
Sign In or Register to comment.