• dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 163Member
    Visionman said:
    On a box?
    Thats what a TV is.....
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,921Member ✭✭
    edited 18 May 2018, 10:56PM
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:

YouView will be the first platform to host Amazon, Netflix and all 4 PSB players side by side.
    Not bad.

Huh? Loads of smart TVs do that already, don't they? Apple TV? Roku?
    Apple and Roku aren’t tightly integrated with main stream PSB’s traditional DTT tv.  
    I agree, many smart TVs do have all the main apps, and YouView was being left behind in this respect. What youview brings to the table is full integration of all players/dtt channels content in its various search and discover features.  It’s smart tv for the masses, easy to find, easy to use. Seemless switching from bbc to amazon/Netflix streaming and back again. Other smart tv platforms are definitely getting better in this respect too, but my experience of them is limited. But I get the impression that YouView still has a big lead as an aggregator of content from traditional dtt and new streaming players. At least  I’ve not heard of other smart TVs that integrate traditional DTT tv with universal search...yet
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,045Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman forgot the one-third of NowTV (a rather small one-third, to be sure) that YouView currently has, which certainly differentiates it from my Samsung TV, which has all the services he mentions, plus the whole of NowTV. And has had for years.  B)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Visionman said:
    On a box?
    You didn’t say box, you said platform.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,849Member ✭✭✭
    I'll crucify myself later. :)
    Or flog myself 100 times. Ouch. 
  • CentreBobbyCentreBobby Posts: 3Member
    redchiz said:
    Welcome news in a way, but otherwise I don't see the fuss to be honest, there are so many other ways, with a Roku and Chromecast the world is your lobster, Rodney. ;)

Amazon Prime doesn't support Chromecast....it's a pain, the app on the Youview box will be welcomed by all. I don't want to buy another dongle (Roku, Fire) or fire up a games console....I just want to reach for the TV remote... so yeah it's important (at least for me)...😉
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,597Member ✭✭✭
    With a Roku and Chromecast ....
  • CentreBobbyCentreBobby Posts: 3Member
    redchiz said:
    With a Roku and Chromecast ....
    Yep, fair cop but that's taking up a lot of HDMI input real estate ...👍
    Yep, what are they for?
    redchiz said:
    Welcome news in a way, but otherwise I don't see the fuss to be honest, there are so many other ways, with a Roku and Chromecast the world is your lobster, Rodney. ;)

Amazon Prime doesn't support Chromecast....it's a pain, the app on the Youview box will be welcomed by all. I don't want to buy another dongle (Roku, Fire) or fire up a games console....I just want to reach for the TV remote... so yeah it's important (at least for me)...😉
    I just reach for the TV remote.... I don’t even have to reach for the YouView remote,
    edited 20 May 2018, 12:06AM
    Even though its been an open secret for around 6 months, I've been pleasantly surprised at how calm the reaction to this news has been (which is good to see). I'd also like to give a thumbs up to Phil for publicly confirming it before its here, as its a positive move to keep users involved and up to date. 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 242Member ✭✭
    edited 19 May 2018, 11:42PM
    Both my 4 year old and almost 5 year old Samsung full HD smart TVs don't have the Now TV app but do have the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps.
    TV in living room that's 4 years old also has a Google Play Movies app. Where as the TV in my bedroom don't have that app.
    Netflix that I share the monthly fee with my sister for two screen plus HD seems more popular than Amazon Prime video.
    I watch Netflix at lest 3 times a week and 80% of the time its for TV shows and TV box sets.

Darren
  • scottscott Posts: 1,795Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Dated may 11th, old news before recent consumer announcements. City were never going to like a drop in forecasts but board said they were happy to take short term pain for a long term gain without cutting dividend. Time will tell how they react over the next six months (shares dropped to below a pound not too many years ago)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 721Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 May 2018, 11:13PM
    Here you go @Darren , My 2015 S**sung TV has all these apps plus a load more besides, so I have no complaints on that front. I'm not bothered whether YouView adds Amazon Prime or not.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • TomWTomW Posts: 448Member
    edited 21 May 2018, 12:23AM
    The LG 4K TV that I recently purchased has all the catch-up players and apps Inc full NowTV, Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube with the latter three in full 4K. It also has universal voice activated search, Freeview Play (with recording to attached USB drive), a magic remote pointer, and Web OS which is by far the best TV OS I’ve ever used.

When Amazon does appear on YouView it’ll be an irrelevance, for me personally, and about four years too late. I’ve moved on. The TV itself has become my viewing hub, again, which given the move a few years ago toward ‘dumb screens’ and myriad set top boxes/dongles, I never thought would happen but LG it has to be said have done a fantastic job. My YouView box is now used solely as a PVR, for which, it still serves its purpose, most of the time, except for when it truncates recordings.
    I agree smart TVs have come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years. But a smart TV will never match a box for performance and flexibility. 
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,921Member ✭✭
    A separate set top box is a cheaper upgrade then a whole new tv, having said that I’m very impressed by these mentioned smart TVs. Both the Samsung and LG have an impressive line up of apps, and the latter having a universal search.

Its great that Amazon is coming to YouView, with full nowtv promised as well, but it has taken an age to get here.
    Looking at the Samsung line up of apps, I hope YouView shows more ambition then it has in the last 3 years in attaining new players. Plex, YouTube, Rakuten, and if they’re feeling like getting hip with the the latest apps, the live streaming app Twitch could offer the platform something different.
  • AshAsh Posts: 253Member
    dreamtime said:
    My LG TV has had all of them and more for 2 years.
    LG TVs are brilliant, aren't they. We have two  :)   

don't forget about Roku , although Amazon service on Roku is a bit questionable. It has to be said. But that's largely because they have yet to give the UK the updated app that the US has and has had for a long time.

Oh, and Samsung TVs from 2015 onwards to  :)
    Its certainly a big market for a piece of pie.
    Roy said:
    scott said:
    And just to draw a line under this and get back to the topic please, the 'predicament' BT find themselves in, as you put it, is that they only made £3.991 Billion operating profit this year as opposed to £4.135 Billion last year. I could think of worse 'predicament's' to be in :)
    Is the glass half full, or is it half empty? Let’s see what the coming year brings, while noting BT’s slow retreat from sport as a free driver for increased broadband subscriber take-up, to a paid service for all its users.
    In a recent announcement, sadly under-reported (think ‘not reported’) in this Community, given YouView’s close ties with, and financial dependence upon, BT, said company has unexpectedly revealed plans to part with its chief executive, Gavin Patterson.

As is well known, this is what companies invariably do when everything in the garden is lovely, and the CE has not landed them in any sort of ‘predicament’, oh no, perish the thought  >:)
    edited 24 June 2018, 6:09PM
    BT, with YouView, could have penetrated far more market than they have. And should have done. So he had to go.
    Ha-ha-ha, just not delivering enough shareholder returns. Of which the TV adventure is just a part.
    Oh they went ballistic, hence why he's gone.
    Poor guy. But not in that sense.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,173Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Poor guy.
    From @Roy's link, above: Based on current projections, that means he could walk away with about £2.3m, in line with his salary and bonus last year.

The rich get richer. The poor pay by the month.
    I wish we'd agreed a funny icon on this forum. Thanks jonesh. You made me smile.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,173Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 June 2018, 10:50PM
    Visionman said:
    I wish we'd agreed a funny icon on this forum. Thanks jonesh. You made me smile.
    I trust that it was a wry smile @Visionman. My comment wasn't intended to be in jest.