World Cup Football to be streamed in 4K

AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 708Member ✭✭✭
The BBC is planning to stream World Cup matches on iPlayer in 4K - if you've got the equipment, and are one of the lucky ones to get in first and have an internet connection running at 40 Mbits/s

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 1,917Member ✭✭
    edited 31 May 2018, 11:17AM
    I wonder how they offer a live stream of that quality to large numbers? When YouView launched there was lots of discussion about using multicast for the ISP’s tv streams. I’ve not heard anything about multicast in regards to the bbciplayer. Does that mean that unicast can efficiently do the job now? 
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 708Member ✭✭✭

The article does say that they are limiting access to the first, as yet unspecified, number of viewers. This suggests that with the increased quality, the overhead is too great to allow huge numbers of people access. :(

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Anaglypta said:

The article does say that they are limiting access to the first, as yet unspecified, number of viewers. This suggests that with the increased quality, the overhead is too great to allow huge numbers of people access. :(

John.

Good point. One step at a time I guess.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,832Member ✭✭✭

The order of magnitude of the numbers, at least, and how you get the service:-

But each will be limited to "tens of thousands of people" - the exact number of iPlayer-equipped devices has not been specified in advance.

Compatible devices will offer access to the 4K HDR streams via iPlayer's home screen. To gain access, viewers must be among the first to click on the relevant home screen button just after each stream starts.

No doubt a TV or player supporting HLG will be required - as per ‘compatible devices’.

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,782Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2018, 8:41PM
    This was highly expected as the BBC have quietly been leading the field in HDR.
    The VR aspect is unexpected. Personal opinion only I think VR is a gimmick much like 3D and both give me a headache. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 851Member ✭✭
    More technical details on the UHD broadcast of the World Cup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-uhd_hdr_world_cup_2018
  • scottscott Posts: 1,776Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 June 2018, 5:20PM
    That’s a good post with some decent technical info, all we need to know now is why the iPlayer app on the T4000 can’t be updated to provide an output :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,782Member ✭✭✭
    Heres a list of compatible devices. All are TVs apart from the Virgin V6 box -
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd
  • And Sky Q. And the Roku 4K streaming stick worked because I used it myself and it worked very well with AC WiFi. 
    scott said:
    That’s a good post with some decent technical info, all we need to know now is why the iPlayer app on the T4000 can’t be updated to provide an output :)
    Yeah it’s intersting in the latest Beeb blog that they mention building a system that will also work to scale. If they can do uhd broadcast on a large scale I guess that bodes well for future IP delivered live tv outside of BT and Talktalk