What's changed?

LipoLipo Posts: 4Member
I am so frustrated  My latest freeview box has packed up after 7 months! It was duly replaced but now suddenly requires the internet,so money refunded  
I live in a caravan so don't have or want the internet
Is there a freeview box out there I can watch and record tv on....no usb recording  

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,042Member ✭✭✭
    YouView boxes rather require the internet these days, even if you don’t want it/need it/haven’t got it, but just to get started, or if you do a Maintenance Mode update. But it has to be wired to something, so you can’t even use a mobile phone as a hotspot to get it going, unless you spring another £30 or so for a WiFi nano router.

There are Freeview boxes out there that don’t need the internet - I have one, a Digital Stream, but you can’t buy them any more  :(

I take it you do have some internet connection, though, via a mobile phone or some such, at least enough to post here? If so, I suggest you work down this recent list, and see what might suit you.

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • LipoLipo Posts: 4Member
    Thanks Roy  The information is really useful and has cleared up my confusion  
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 311Member ✭✭
    I'd look to one of the Panasonics , the one in the list above or there is one that is basic Freeview , not Freeview Play. The Play version works best with an internet connection - for catchup - , whereas the DMR-HWT130 doesn't need it.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,173Member ✭✭✭
    We've had a Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB FVP recorder for a few months. The Guide is very slow to populate and it has failed to wake up to record on several occasions. When that has happened the only way that I can get it to work at all is to turn it off at the mains and wait a few minutes before turning it on and re-booting. I can't find a Panasonic users' forum to discuss issues.
    jonesh said:
    We've had a Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB FVP recorder for a few months. The Guide is very slow to populate and it has failed to wake up to record on several occasions. When that has happened the only way that I can get it to work at all is to turn it off at the mains and wait a few minutes before turning it on and re-booting. I can't find a Panasonic users' forum to discuss issues.
    AVForums is pretty good for this.....
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,173Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2018, 11:36PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    AVForums is pretty good for this.....
    Thanks @Roy. I'll check it out.

Our Panasonic recorders miss recordings occasionally, but the FVP machine is the most unreliable recording device that we have had in our house since the Topfield was running its native Freeview firmware. The grass isn't always greener . . .
    Looking at the  recent list from Roy has got me thinking,did my BT freeview box pack up after just 7months or was it switched off by big brother watching us out there? 🤤
    Lipo said:
    Looking at the  recent list from Roy has got me thinking,did my BT freeview box pack up after just 7months or was it switched off by big brother watching us out there? 🤤
    Given a choice between a conspiracy and a cockup to explain anything, always go for the cockup  :p

I’m also a great believer in ‘follow the money’ - your box packing up after 7 months meant whoever supplied it had to spring for a replacement, and then a refund, so not much financial incentive to pull the plug there.

But how did it pack up, exactly - i.e. what were the symptoms?

Small pedantic note, by the way - YouView boxes aren’t Freeview boxes. They tune Freeview channels, true, and list them in their EPG, so they are Freeview boxes for all the practical purposes that you or I might have, but YouView makes (unspecified) departures from the Freeview specification, and so would not pass Freeview certification.

Accordingly we can’t, technically, call them Freeview boxes.

So,Roy with no internet am I better buying a youview or freeview box? Im looking at refurbished ones
    Lipo said:
    So,Roy with no internet am I better buying a youview or freeview box? Im looking at refurbished ones
    Freeview.

Sooner or later, a YouView box is going to want to connect to the internet, and will not operate any further until it can do so  :'(
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 239Member ✭✭
    edited 4 June 2018, 10:00PM
    As Roy says better to get Freeview if your no internet connection.
    The newer Freeview Play boxes also need an Internet connection but think Freeview Play can work sort of fine without an internet connection. Make sure the box is HD as some channels only broadcast the HD muxs if you can pick them up. I think most newer Freeview boxs now have to have an HD tuner as standard and Freeview Play is slowly starting to appear on more and more newer Freeview boxes. One or two Freeview  boxes I have seen on sale over the last month or so now don’t seem to come with the old scart connection just HDMI. Think they was non PVR boxes. I’m surprised some places are still selling non PVR boxes even though most of the boxes they sell are now PVR boxes.

Darren
    edited 5 June 2018, 7:34AM
    Devices can be labelled Freeview alone (so SD only) or with some combination of HD (also gets HD channels) and/or Play (implies HD and also internet capability) and/or Recorder [previously +] (which as its new name implies, brings PVR capabilities).

Make sure the box is HD as some channels only broadcast the HD muxes if you can pick them up.

To be exact, it is the transmitters that broadcast the HD muxes, whether you can pick them up or not, but in the UK they are sent out on the DVB-T2 standard, so your receiving device needs one or more DVB-T2 tuners, and Freeview HD and Freeview Play labelling indicates the device has this.

SCART is dying out; recent TVs aren’t providing this, and anyway you can’t send HD over SCART*, it has to be HDMI. So no point using SCART really, except with old legacy TVs, with which there is not much point having HD for.

I guess as long as PVRs cost about £100 more than zapper boxes, and zapper boxes bring something to the party - HD channels to ‘HD-capable’ sets made before DVB-T2 came in or made afterwards but still without DVB-T2 tuners, the ability to still use analogue-tuner-only TVs, and so on - they will still be popular.

Currys have a couple around the £35 mark, a Bush with HDMI and SCART, and a Manhattan with HDMI only. I can’t see much of a market for that one - though there is one TV in our house it would be perfect for if we didn’t want to record, and there wasn’t already a YouView box hung on it...

*You can of course downscale an HD signal and send it out over SCART, as some YouView boxes do, but it drops below the HD standard if this is done.