[Discussion] BT software update 31.24.0

SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
edited 19 June 2018, 4:02PM in Announcements

Hi all,

Please feel free to feedback on the latest BT software update 31.24.0 in this discussion thread.

This update brings the new player, Amazon Prime Video to BT T2100 & T2200 devices and bug fixes.

T4000 devices will receive the bug updates but Amazon Prime Video will launch in the near future.

Amazon Prime Video offers thousands of popular movies and TV shows on demand. Users can also buy/rent content and access subscription streaming services.

If you encounter any issues once you’re in the player, please contact Amazon here

Thanks,

Sarah

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,578Member ✭✭✭
    Cool. Any news on when/whether this will be coming to TalkTalk/retail boxes?
  • SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
    redchiz said:
    Cool. Any news on when/whether this will be coming to TalkTalk/retail boxes?

Hi @redchiz

We continue development to bring Amazon Prime Video to our range of YouView devices. As soon as we have launch dates we will let you know.

With T1000 and T1010 boxes no longer being manufactured, these devices have legacy technology and limited capabilities. As a result, these devices will not have Amazon Prime Video in order to sustain the performance of the device. 

If there are enquiries for BT and TT devices, we recommend reaching out to them directly. Their contact details can be found here.

Thanks,

Sarah

• JoeJoe Posts: 1,921Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the more concrete confirmation of Amazon Prime coming to Retail/TalkTalk (and I guess Plusnet). 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,787Member ✭✭✭
    So the most capable and top range box from BT is incapable of utilising the new player, hmmm I presume there is an issue with the 4K content from Amazon (at least Netflix know how to make a decent app :-))
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,578Member ✭✭✭
    Oops, forgot PlusNet, my bad.   :o
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 300Member ✭✭
    Glad to see you're bringing things to Youview that most smart TVs have had for the past 4-5 years. That's sarcasm if anyone is in doubt.

Now what about the features missing from NextGen that were there in OldGen or things like padding (as AR clearly doesn't always work).

I really believe that Youview/BT etc aren't focusing on what a PVR should provide, ie the ability to record exactly what a user sets to record, get the whole program and be able to play it back properly.
  • Nick7Nick7 Posts: 83Member
    Don't rush them.. @Tim C
  • jimbjimb Posts: 968Member ✭✭
    I'm delighted that these bugs have been fixed:

- An issue with the Live Pause feature where skipping forward after a pause would take you back to live TV and rewinding would be capped at x2 speed. 

-  The playback bar showing the wrong programme title and time-buffer information if the channel had not been changed for a long period of time

They've both been annoying me a great deal for a long time. 

I've been astonished that the second one (as far as I know) has never been mentioned in this forum.
     :o 
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,404Member, Champion mod
    edited 19 June 2018, 8:02PM
    From the players screenshot it looks like APV is very last in the list :(

Now if only the players list would automatically reorder itself based on frequency of use on a given box, or failing that they provided a manual option to order the players to suit your own priorities. It is bad enough that Netflix is 5th in the list but APV being 11th or later seems a mile away ;)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 June 2018, 8:14PM
    @Mr Curtis

You've always been so supportive of this platform. Not.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but after your endless complaints in the face of new features, which your clearly not happy with, why don't you just get something else? And thats a serious question.

@Sarah ;
    Thanks for confirming Amazon will be coming to all platforms. 
    Its good to talk.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 869Member ✭✭
    Keith said:
    From the players screenshot it looks like APV is very last in the list :(

Now if only the players list would automatically reorder itself based on frequency of use on a given box, or failing that they provided a manual option to order the players to suit your own priorities. It is bad enough that Netflix is 5th in the list but APV being 11th or later seems a mile away ;)
    I seem to remember that Youview have in the past undertaken periodic reviews  about the ordering of players . Don't seem to have had one for a while.  Perhaps it would be useful to have another. as for those not using programable universal remotes it can still take a lot of remote key action to reach their favorite player(s) or apps.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 869Member ✭✭
    Given that there are apparently different features (players)  available in the release for different boxes I would have thought that seperate notifications would have been sensible for the those boxes being supplied with the new player to those that are not.
    Hi Keith.
    The Players are placed in aggregate ordering, so a new Player will always be placed last until assessed and then re-asserted. The fact its currently last won't last long. 
    Re-ordering isn't sadly possible. 
  • LukеLukе Posts: 11Member
    The search function does appear to successfully return all Amazon Prime Video.
    With catch-up players, Now TV films, Netflix and now APV this has made the on-demand results very expansive.  You get many on demand results from all free and subscription partners. 
    This is probably good for those that subscribe to all of Now TV films, Netflix and now APV.
    Isn't this a pain for those who don't use additional pay TV or am I missing something?

I've now updated my T2100 to 31.24.0 but the Amazon Player has failed to appear. Mind you, I've done it on a 3rd party retail line not BT.
    T4000 users are going ballistic about this, like its the end of the world. Which it isn't. Just going to have to wait a bit.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 163Member
    Visionman said:
    T4000 users are going ballistic about this, like its the end of the world. Which it isn't. Just going to have to wait a bit.
    Same all the time for anything with Youview. Just a little bit longer. No change there then.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭
    dreamtime said:
    Visionman said:
    Same all the time for anything with Youview. Just a little bit longer. No change there then.
    Knock, knock.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Visionman said:

Not the end of the world but not great sales either.

When you are paying more in subscription costs to supposedly get a higher service with higher spec box and then be told it will be months before you can get access to one of the most requested apps when lower tier subscribers already have it, I think there is every right to feel slightly aggrieved.

"One of the most requested apps."
    That is perhaps an exaggeration. Now iPlayer in 4K? Now your talking.
    I already have Amazon 4K on 2 other devices and its poor compared to Netflix's 4K.
    Still welcome though.
    edited 20 June 2018, 10:16AM
    Visionman said:
    "One of the most requested apps."
    That is perhaps an exaggeration. Now iPlayer in 4K? Now your talking.
    I already have Amazon 4K on 2 other devices and its poor compared to Netflix's 4K.
    Still welcome though.

Can you tell me why that is an exaggeration, what app is more requested than Amazon and Full NowTV over the last few years.

Also I am not talking about Amazon 4K I am talking about Amazon full stop. It isn't that the 4K content isn't available to the T4000 users its that NO Amazon content is available to T4000 users.

Don't accuse me of exaggerating without giving me some evidence???

Fair enough scott. Though if you have a means of direct one-on-one contact with the BT team it may be worth using it.
    Even though its been an open secret for quite some time, there are an awful lot of rumblings about this and none of them are good.
    @visionman - so one minute you say it isn’t the end of the world just have to wait a bit and then you say awful lot of rumblings and none of them good. 
    Bit of a mix of sentiments. I have made my feelings very obvious in quite a few camps but have not heard any proper reasons why it isn’t out, I can only guess it must be a 4k/ hdcp issue as that is the only difference between the boxes.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
    Visionman said:
    I've now updated my T2100 to 31.24.0 but the Amazon Player has failed to appear. Mind you, I've done it on a 3rd party retail line not BT.
    Hi @Visionman

That sounds a bit strange. Can you let us know the other software information on your box so I can check this with our team? Have you also tried doing a manual software update to see if this changes things? 

It could be worth giving your box a quick reboot before trying the software update again. Any other info you can provide about how you updated, what time etc is always helpful. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Updated yesterday 20/06 at 12.45am. Hard reboot now performed to no effect.

Component 3.5.68(bd07c9)
    Manu           31.24.0
    Config          4390
    ISP               11
    edited 21 June 2018, 6:05AM
    "There are an awful lot of rumblings about this and none of them are good."
    Sorry for any misunderstanding scott. I meant rumblings from users, not BT.

Without talking about anyone in particular, this is an often seen complaint from many BT users. Such as -
    "Why should TalkTalk Users get updates before us?" Or
    "Why should Retail Users get updates before us? We're the ones who pay, not them?"
    Now its been taken to a new level -
    "Why should ordinary BT subscribers get updates before us? As we 4K box owners are the ones who pay the most, not them?"

I suspect its being done to scale, the majority user base being first with all others to follow.
    The thing I find surprising is that the majority of 4K box owners (but not all) will already have Amazon Prime built into their smart TVs or already owned devices, with many already in 4K. 
    However as seasoned users know, YouView never update all models at the same time and updates are rolled out in increments model by model, so its not a surprise.

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June 2018, 9:11AM
    Visionman said:
    The thing I find surprising is that the majority of 4K box owners (but not all) will already have Amazon Prime built into their smart TVs or already owned devices, with many already in 4K. 
    I have raised this in the past, and been told that what this leaves missing is the integration of programme information into the Search and Discover features on YouView.

Seems a fair point.

Entirely uninformed either by inside information about it or practical experience with it, I would hazard a guess that there is but one Amazon Video application, with hundreds of IFs for 4K, and the intention had been to roll it out to all T4000s at this time.

But the 4K performance is not yet quite deemed satisfactory; and the strategy for the most rapid remediation is to overcome the issues, rather than try to cut the software back to HD only on T4000s, itself not a trivial task.

BICBVW.... (But I Could Be Very Wrong - and my acronyms likewise  :*)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 21 June 2018, 12:32PM

Well a BTTV expert on the BT forum is now talking about a fix (nothing to do with Amazon) scheduled for release 31.100.0, maybe that release will include Amazon for UHD customers but I won't hold my breath lol....

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Re-The-Software-Reset-Problem/td-p/1820447/page/3

On the plus side this -

So looks like BT are adding 4k UHD content.

The first I have noticed is Snatch:

A group of up-and-coming hustlers who stumble upon a truck-load of stolen gold bullion are suddenly thrust into the high-stakes world of organized crime. Enjoy this series in stunning 4K, with a 4K TV subscription and Ultra HD box.

https://community.bt.com/t5/TV-Content-including-BT-Sport/4k-UHD-content-now-on-BTTV/m-p/1855795#U1855795