[Discussion] BT software update 31.24.0

13»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    Tim C said:
    I did this yesterday as a test, on OldGen admittedly - recording 2 BT Sport channels & was able to watch ITV live. I was able to pause etc but not able to set that channel to record. I didn't try doing that via the guide or app btw.
    Thanks Tim, that is exactly what I would expect to happen.

Now, to dot the i’s and cross the t’s, we just need to be absolutely sure this is not functionality that has been lost in NextGen...
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 845Administrator admin
    Hi all,

I've removed a few comments from this thread due to disagreements and the posts going rather off topic from the update it is regarding.
    Please bare in mind that as this thread is for feedback on the 31.24.0 update, any other feedback on features you'd like to see should ideally be posted in a new thread. This way, other users can easily find threads they'd like to engage in and discuss without taking a thread off topic.
    If you have feedback regarding a different software update, these should be posted in the relevant update thread, all of which can be found in the Announcements category. 

Any removed posts which contained relevant feedback on YouView devices has still been logged and noted for our Product team along with any remaining posts. 

If there's anything you'd like to discuss regarding this or anything else please feel free to drop me a private message :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • patrickgillpatrickgill Posts: 2Member
    I know this is a phased release, but when will it be released to all devices? I've been checking for the update on pretty much a daily basis and it still hasn't come through for me.
    I know this is a phased release, but when will it be released to all devices? I've been checking for the update on pretty much a daily basis and it still hasn't come through for me.
    Some time between now and when this page no longer says ‘Rolling out...’ beside the entry for your box model.

The algorithm for box selection during the phased update seems to be a closely guarded secret. Possibly even from YouView themselves  :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • patrickgillpatrickgill Posts: 2Member
    edited 12 July 2018, 2:31PM
    Roy said:
    Some time between now and when this page no longer says ‘Rolling out...’ beside the entry for your box model.

Thank you for that. It's a shame there's no option to opt in or force update.
    edited 12 July 2018, 5:08PM
    Roy said:

Thank you for that. It's a shame there's no option to opt in or force update.
    I think the main issue is the time taken in rolling these updates out - while they should perhaps dribble out for a week or so, while the vanguard who get it discover the latest one step back along with the two steps forward, after that the updates should come roaring out.

Perhaps YouView could upgrade the old steam update server to the sort of device that lets BT TV thunder out multiple realtime 4K streams to all and sundry?

I wonder what the server bandwidth is, even compared to the demand on the meanest of the Players?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

Perhaps YouView could upgrade the old steam update server to the sort of device that lets BT TV thunder out multiple realtime 4K streams to all and sundry?

I wonder what the server bandwidth is, even compared to the demand on the meanest of the Players?
    I thought it was possible to buy server capacity for as much or as little time as you need.
    So why can't YouView let an update dribble out for a week or so, and then pay for a big chunk of server capacity and whack it out to everyone else?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,892Member ✭✭✭
    YouView has always released updates in increments and have for a long time now declared such. So it wasn't a secret and never has been. 
    edited 12 July 2018, 9:38PM
    Visionman said:
    YouView has always released updates in increments and have for a long time now declared such. So it wasn't a secret and never has been. 
    Who thought it was? I said that the order in which boxes are chosen for updating was a secret; not the same thing at all.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    Just an observation looking at the link  Roy provided to the latest box software by platform but it implies that the rollout to 31.24.0 is from a previous software level of 29.53.0 whereas I thought it would be 29.58.0. I don't know  whether this is an inaccuracy  on that webpage or if  Youview consider the rollout from 29.53.0 to 29.58.0 for those models as not complete before  the next release 31.24.0 launched.
    edited 14 July 2018, 6:53AM
    zulu17 said:
    Just an observation looking at the link  Roy provided to the latest box software by platform but it implies that the rollout to 31.24.0 is from a previous software level of 29.53.0 whereas I thought it would be 29.58.0. I don't know  whether this is an inaccuracy  on that webpage or if  Youview consider the rollout from 29.53.0 to 29.58.0 for those models as not complete before  the next release 31.24.0 launched.
    If I were setting up this Updates page, I’d be putting the releases in reverse chronological order of release date, most recent at the top, box order as per this Latest Box Versions page if I needed a nesting within date of more than one release.

Any logic to the current sequencing of the Updates page, beyond a broken attempt to do the above, escapes me, and it seems more chronically illogical than chronological  :(

And perhaps if it was in proper chronological sequence, anybody glancing at it to see what to set up as the previous release on the LBV page wouldn’t be misled by 29.53.0 appearing above 29.58.0, and 29.58.0 not even appearing until/unless you click More.

I do however praise the attempt to show what the boxes are rolling out From on the LBV page, as previously the Software Version has just been duplicating the Rolling Out To, which has seemed to me to be a bit pointless.
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Posts: 15Member
    zulu17 said:
    Yea, the information is incorrect.

Ignoring the rollout to 31.24.0, Youview list 29.53.0 as being the latest software for both the BT Retail DTR-T2110 / 84B08530 and BT DTR-T2100 /  84B08500 however both of mine have had 29.58.0 for while now.

• CentreBobbyCentreBobby Posts: 3Member
    What's the usual timeframe for these updates? Are we talking weeks or months? Still checking every morning, still nothing ...
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,630Member ✭✭✭
    Weeks.
  • vgmfvgmf Posts: 3Member
    When will the rollout finish ? , as I have it on one box [ 2100 ] but not yet on the other [ 2100 ] .
    vgmf said:
    When will the rollout finish ? , as I have it on one box [ 2100 ] but not yet on the other [ 2100 ] .
    Nobody here can answer that, you just have to wait like the rest of us.
  • Peter S3Peter S3 Posts: 22Member
    When will BT sort out the software? The Youview box has been very unreliable ever since the so called update to Next Gen. I frequently feel like throwing the box out of the window. Often when re-winding live tv, it cannot be stopped until it gets to point box turned on or channel changed and cannot be fast forwarded again, turning box off has no effect it's still playing at rewound point. Have to disconnect power to clear. 
    Peter S3 said:
    When will BT sort out the software? The Youview box has been very unreliable ever since the so called update to Next Gen. I frequently feel like throwing the box out of the window. Often when re-winding live tv, it cannot be stopped until it gets to point box turned on or channel changed and cannot be fast forwarded again, turning box off has no effect it's still playing at rewound point. Have to disconnect power to clear. 
    Hi Peter,

We recommend that you reach out to BT regarding this particular issue as it's not something we've heard much about so it may be local to your box. If the box itself is faulty they should be able to replace it for you if you're still on a subscription. 

We do recommend that you try giving the box a quick reboot by pressing and holding the power button for about 8 seconds as this can sometimes resolve some issues. If that doesn't help at all, we would then suggest you try a Maintenance Mode number 2 (can remove some settings and potentially scheduled recordings) and as a last resort a Maintenance Mode number 3 (deletes your recordings). For more information on this, check this article

Thanks,
    Sarah
    vgmf said:
    Turns out that you can force the installation of the latest software by using option 3 of the maintenance mode menu. Worked for me on a DTR-T4000 and DTR-T2100.

Doing so will factory reset the box but you won't lose your recordings.
    edited 24 July 2018, 4:23PM
    WelshPaul said:
    vgmf said:
    Turns out that you can force the installation of the latest software by using option 3 of the maintenance mode menu. Worked for me on a DTR-T4000 and DTR-T2100.

I doubt this. Certainly, that MM3 will bring in the latest update if it has been released to you, but then so would an ordinary software update in the same circumstances.

If it wouldn’t have, though, there is either a problem with your box (possibly fixed by the MM3) or a problem with MM3 itself.

Perhaps someone else waiting for an update might like to try this though; try a software update, and if nothing updates, try an MM3 (very quickly after, to minimise the chance of the corner case wher the update is released to you just minutes after your first attempt), and see if that forces it. 
    Roy said:
    WelshPaul said:
    vgmf said:

I doubt this. Certainly, that MM3 will bring in the latest update if it has been released to you, but then so would an ordinary software update in the same circumstances.

If it wouldn’t have, though, there is either a problem with your box (possibly fixed by the MM3) or a problem with MM3 itself.

Perhaps someone else waiting for an update might like to try this though; try a software update, and if nothing updates, try an MM3 (very quickly after, to minimise the chance of the corner case wher the update is released to you just minutes after your first attempt), and see if that forces it. 
    Well it worked for both of mine.

I also have a DTR-T2110 and when doing a software update, I get no software update available. I noticed that the youview software page states that 31.24.0 is now the latest software for this model? I haven't done a MM3 on thos box yet, so far thought hasn't updated itself? Anyway, will MM3 it tomorrow and report back...
    edited 24 July 2018, 7:03PM
    Well it didn't work on my BT DTR-T2110 retail box! I still have 29.58.0 although the youview latest box versions page states that 31.24.0 is now the latest release.

Weird!
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 34Member
    WelshPaul said:
    Well it didn't work on my BT DTR-T2110 retail box! I still have 29.58.0 although the youview latest box versions page states that 31.24.0 is now the latest release.

Weird!
    Yeah mine's stuck on 29.58.0 as well, and tells me this is the latest when I try Update. I did find the box had locked up one day last week and only cutting the power revived it, I wonder if it got stuck attempting to update?
    edited 25 July 2018, 6:25AM
    Rob P said:
    WelshPaul said:

Weird!
    Yeah mine's stuck on 29.58.0 as well, and tells me this is the latest when I try Update. I did find the box had locked up one day last week and only cutting the power revived it, I wonder if it got stuck attempting to update?
    @WelshPaul

That’s as I expected. Updates go box by box, not user by user, for those with multiple boxes. And not every eligible box had been updated from 28.58.0 to 31.24.0 by the time 31.28.0 came out and replaced 31.24.0, and this particular box of yours is one of those.

And an MM3 won’t pull in 31.28.0 until it is released to this box; at which time, a Software Update would pull it in without the attendant side effects of an MM3.

@Rob P

Almost certainly not. If it was ready to update, and locked up because of that, it wouldn’t simply stop trying. It would try again, and either lock up again, perhaps repeating this indefinitely if there was an underlying problem, or succeed in the update.

Either way, you wouldn’t be one week on with a working box and no update. 

Put the lockup down to ‘stuff happens’.
    Hiya,

I just double checked this with our team and can confirm that any boxes which did not receive the 31.24.0 update from 28.58.0 will start receiving the 31.28.0 update in the next week. As it's a phased rollout it may take a little longer but it should be with you soon :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
13»