Richard Halton

dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 175Member
edited 25 June 2018, 4:10PM in News
Richard Halton leaving quote
After a decade I feel it is time to move on and explore new opportunities, knowing that I leave YouView well set for the future.”

Is that the inability to successfully record that he is talking about?

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
  • scottscott Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2018, 4:39PM
    Should soon be sorted hopefully:-
    Really pleased to say that our weekend testing on the fix for recording issues has been successful across a range of boxes and scenarios.
    The fix, broadly it's around how broadcast stream data is processed by the set top box and a particular set of circumstances where that doesn't happen as it should and recording doesnt start.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Failed-Recording/td-p/1838724/page/19

Unless of course you are referring to the accurate recording instead of padding which will continue.

it appears all change at the top :) maybe freeview play are looking for someone to spend some investment money ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/freeview/144797-freeview-play-gets-125m-investment-to-fund-major-changes.amphtml
  • highdeftvfanhighdeftvfan Posts: 34Member
    Okay, so I have sat for months and months on the sideline of these forums, reading and digesting pretty much every post made... but now I just have to join and share my views... and they are my personal views, and nothing more, many may disagree, and that's fine, and more importantly, their view is just as valid as mine, all I'm sharing is my view...
    I expect my post to be deleted, so read fast.... :)

So Richard Halton is leaving!
    While the statement does not explain why he's leaving, I for one am not surprised.
    As someone from a technology/media background, I've watched Youview's development with interest... and slight astonishment as to how it's still in business.

Youview has been plagued with delays from day one... that's sometime unavoidable with new tech start ups, however, next-gen has seemed to follow the same pattern, I have never seen such a poor roll out of a new technology from such a high profile technology company.

There's clearly been some deep rooted problems at Youview for a while. Don't forget for a second how much money Youview's share holders have invested, the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, BT, TalkTalk, and Arqiva, between them have invested tens of millions of pounds in Youview. The last round of investment totalled another £100M back in 2014, that's on top of the original £115m from launch...!

Youview has LOST the plot, it's started to believe it's own press releases and forgotten the reality of the world it's living in... harsh words...??? No...

Let's take the infamous Alex announcement as just ONE example...

I quote Youview's OWN website... and their own official press release...

https://www.youview.com/2017/06/08/youview-developing-voice-controlled-tv-experience-amazon-alexa/

That was back in 8th June 2017, I am now posting on 25 June 2018, so it's been over a year!!!!!! Over a year!!!!!! and still, the promised feature has not been released...

Next Gen Youview was LATE, it was LATE, it was LATE... it was LATE, and when it did release, it was missing many of the features that should have been there day one...

Youview has stop all major media advertising....
    Their funding from their existing share holders runs until 2019...
    Excluding BT and TalkTalk, their other share holders are now investing in Freeview Play...
    The BT/SKY channel deal starts in 2019... when Youview's current funding via existing share holders stops... I don't think the fact that those two dates are the same is a coincidence.

I find press release about Richard Halton leaving a bit insulting...

“After a decade I feel it is time to move on and explore new opportunities, knowing that I leave YouView well set for the future.”

NO Richard you DON'T... you have constantly delivered your technology late...

You announced Next Gen Youview in Nov 2016...
    https://www.youview.com/2016/11/23/youview-reveals-next-generation-user-experience/
    BT did even start to roll out the update until many months later...

NO Richard you DON'T... you a Next-Gen platform, boasting that updates and fixes can now come much faster... you still have not restore some basic features, and the rate of updates is as slow as ever!

You said... “Our move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks, rather than the months or years it can take for other traditional TV platforms to do the same.
    https://www.youview.com/2016/11/23/youview-reveals-next-generation-user-experience/

NO Richard you DON'T... you "platform" has not demonstrated any future plans for HDR, or the "fabled" watch your media on a connected devices...

Richard and Youview, I think you have lost sight about how much false/promised information you have put out about your plans and just how little you have delivered...

Good bye Richard... and I hope Youview get's it act together and starts to listen to it's community and STOPS believing it's own hype!

I have to go and have a cup of tea and calm down... :( 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,435Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2018, 7:18PM
    Nice post, @highdeftvfan

As one of the most active people on this site, I have recently started to become more and more disillusioned with YouView, and to seriously wonder if it was worth the investment in my time that I have been making in it.

Richard Halton, for my money, completely lost it for me when he started talking about using the YouView technology to track little children from room to room.

That, to me, shows someone so concerned with what he can do that he has lost sight of what he should do, and his moral compass along with it.

So I shall not regret his going.

Let’s see who gets the job now, and if he will abolish some of the needless doctrinaire things that YouView do, like deleting the information that a programme was originally broadcast in 4:3, actually contradicting the guidelines from the Digital UK operation on which Richard Halton was a member of the governing council.

And get somebody in, for chrissakes, to have YouView functionality restored to what it was under OldGen, which we have been waiting way too long for.

Let’s all keep a weather eye out for where Richard tips up, and skirt round it carefully.

And as the Americans say, solicitously, Richard, don’t let the door bang your **** on your way out  :p
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 175Member
    edited 25 June 2018, 7:13PM
    Be interesting to see if he can come good with all his promises before he goes at the year end.
    dreamtime said:
    Be interesting to see if he can come good with all his promises before he goes at the year end.

@dreamtime, please don’t make postings like like that unless you are sure I am within running distance of a loo  :D
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    edited 25 June 2018, 7:41PM
    @Roy I agree with you. Track record shows that it won't happen..... and we will be left with a box that has less functionality than 2 years ago. Progress, I don't think so. I remember all the Youview supporters on here clamouring to justify everything Youview did. Do you remember Visionman hammering on about no box left behind. Joke.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,003Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2018, 10:06PM
    highdeftvfan 
    Why would you think your post would be deleted? After all this isn't the BT forum, where such posts can be (and often are) hammered or just plain deleted. Whereas on here you are entitled to and more importantly allowed to voice your opinion. 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭✭

@highdeftvfan - Very hard to argue with anything in that post. Slightly harsh in a few ways but hard to disagree.

I think the absolute crux of the problem is the delivery. At the root YouView is a good platform (there isn't much out there at the cost base that is better) and even the future vision isn't bad (If we ignore the constant strive for analytics and statistics that add nothing to the user experience) the whole issue is (and always has been) the glacial pace of delivering ANYTHING. We cut them some slack when Next Gen came out (the appearance will always be subjective) as we hoped this would finally mean faster updates but this has now proved absolutely false and even some of the nicer touches of the old gen are yet to be re-implemented.

It is plain other than the ISP's the other partners are pushing behind freeview play and as such in 2019 the money will dry up from them (and maybe a reason a CEO might want to leave smartish), this doesn't have to be a bad thing as this would leave the major (after the last renewal) investors (BT and Talk Talk) free to push YouView their own way and hopefully have enough grunt to keep the PSB's onboard at least with supplying their players. Although this will probably put some retail customers off.

I don't think the SKY/BT deal is anything other than a need to spread across platforms that is starting to be recognised as the way to go, as their are now too many large players in the market (Netflix, Amazon, SKY etc) to try and keep everything to yourself as SKY have always tried to do and BT had a dabble at it when first starting.

I do think a few months ago when the divergence statement came out there was a bit of a step change and I was hoping this would now be bearing fruit but it seems to have stalled (like most things with YouView) and if anything has made things even worse. I always keep an eye on SKY to see what they offer but at the minute BT are keeping enough things ticking over to keep me on the YouView platform (just). I really hope the next six months don't just see RH run out to nothing but it is hard at the minute to see anything other.

• speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 66Member
    When I got the YouView T2110 PVR a couple (?) of years ago, I was convinced that YouView would be the way forward. Now looks like Freeview Play is where it's at (or is likely to be so) in my opinion.
  • alal Posts: 1,284Member ✭✭
    When I got the YouView T2110 PVR a couple (?) of years ago, I was convinced that YouView would be the way forward. Now looks like Freeview Play is where it's at (or is likely to be so) in my opinion.
    I'm not sure. Play seems to have good features that are poorly implemeted whereas youview has poor features well implemented, perhaps a change at the top is exactly what it needs.
    edited 26 June 2018, 10:58PM
    @speedyrite & @al

I understand what your both saying, but the two boxes employ completely different eco-systems and philosophies. As such both present a user with choices.

YouView - a keep it simple box (KISS). No Wi-Fi, no DLNA, no multiroom (as yet) and no stack or file transfers (which means recordings). Also, since the switch to HTML-5, certain features have been lost but others gained. A totally propitiatory platform that is locked down up to the eyeballs.   

Freeview Play - An open source platform that just offers its base code to whatever manufacturer that wants to make them and then leaves it up to them what features they want to add. General advice on the internet is to avoid FVP Panasonics like the plague and the Humax versions, whilst they work most of the time, have been reported as having a response time about as quick as sludge. So no systems perfect and never will be.
    @Visionman

That should be a KITS (Keep It Too Simple) box, in the case of YouView.

KISS takes many of the demands that would otherwise be loaded onto the user, and loads them onto the designers and developers.

However, this is quite a burden; and when it fails, users are left with issues they can’t deal with, because all the tools and diagnostics they need are not provided, because of the KISS philosophy.

I understand the aim of KISS - think Apple, not Unix - though even there Apple products are tremendously frustrating when the shiny carapace fails. And while experts can do pretty much anything they want in Unix, we mortals can’t even get started  :p

But the true complexity of a YouView box is orders of magnitude greater than the exposed UI, so keeping that illusion going is something of a big task.

Nonetheless, the YouView box was and is never going to be a Topfield, and nor should it be, for the target audience it serves.

My proposal for squaring the KISS circle, though, is what it always has been; YouView, please provide an Advanced option (semi-hidden if you like, so as not to frighten the tyros) wherein we can get more information about what is going on in the box. The Sony Android TVs with YouView on point the way, with the information screens they provide about what is where, and, for example, what is happening when you are tuning it in.

Perhaps with a change at the top, some of these things can now be considered.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    Your comment about the FVP Panasonics is a little unfair I think. From what I've read the Guide is somewhat slow in populating & I know from my FVP Panasonic TV that using the Guide for catchup is a little ponderous, unlike Youview's which I think works well. Note that not all my comments about Youview are negative. :)
    Otherwise it does what it should - accurately recording scheduled programmes (with padding) - and should certainly be considered an option for those finding Youview a disappointment.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,211Member ✭✭✭
    Tim C said:
    Otherwise it does what it should - accurately recording scheduled programmes
    That isn't our experience with our FVP Panasonic.

We have had a Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB for about four months, and in that time it has missed a number of recordings, half a dozen or so in the first three months. Its trick is to crash when trying to wake up for a recording. When it is in that state it won't respond to the remote or the ON/OFF button on the front of the box. The only way that I have found to get it to re-boot is to turn it off at the mains and wait a while before turning it back on. It did it when we were away for a week in May. It crashed early in the week and didn't record any of the programmes that we had set for while we were away.

Panasonic released a firmware update for the machine on 22nd May and it has been stable since. Fingers crossed.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    Ignoring that particular issue , which is hopefully resolved, what do you make of it overall?

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,211Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2018, 6:57PM
    We're off-topic @Tim C and I don't think that it would be reasonable to post a review of a Panasonic machine here. There are lots of reviews available online.
  • fusemunkfusemunk Posts: 8Member
    Hi, not commented on the Youview Vision before and not as active as some. 
    Software releases with core functional changes - rolled out to the masses, is complex on many levels (technical and user change). This is particularly true in a fast moving, mixed and changing user experience world.  Youview is a solid good platform to watch TV over the air and internet, its challenge is to predict viewing trends and adopt the winners.  Sports viewing is becoming a mess - USPGA on a start up internet site, Pro14 Rugby on Premier Sports (Internet site for non-Sky), Amazon Prime - not integrated into TT Youview. No real recording of these offerings and for a customer a confusing and backward step - THIS APPEARS TO BE THE FUTURE (and expensive).
    If Youview (and its TT and BT providers) could provide a viable internet service integration plug-in for the likes of Premier Sports that gave me the same functionality that other EPG channels have, that would be the VISION I would endorse.  The backend delivery and financials need to be in technical harmony to allow this to work.
    The multi-round has been very nice, Alexa integration would be nice - but the core delivery integration thats future proof would be a biggest winner for me.
    Regards,
    Fusemunk
    Hi fusemonk,
    Its just called YouView (not YouView Vision). But I'm not aware one can record content on the Amazon Player as like Netflix its an On Demand service?
    edited 3 November 2018, 7:15AM
    Premier Sports raises a number of interesting questions. They could, if they did a deal with BT and/or TT, appear as IP channels in the areas set aside for these providers.

Though I still have no idea how deals get done; who approaches who in these instances?

But to get this service on retail YouView, if a direct deal was done with YouView, would potentially require retail boxes to have a BT TV-like area where these channels could appear in the EPG. Though I am sure the code for this already exists, so it would just be a SMOP.

But as long as YouView cheerfully fails to provide us with YouTube, it is so far behind the curve as to be a mere dot in the distance, and we wait with interest to see if Richard Halton’s replacement will, or will even be able, to shake YouView out of its complacency.

And hopefully be more interested in giving us the services we want, instead of just Hoovering up hundreds of data points about each of us every day.

Though the trouble is, as @Visionman keeps accurately reminding us, that YouView is still out in front in so many ways.

Which means that we have little choice but to live with its foibles and its limitations; though it is getting progressively easier for something else to come along and wipe the floor with YouView, no-one has yet come near to succeeding with this.

Though if YouView is resting on its laurels, it is wearing them in the wrong place  :p
    I know I am massively pro-active where YouView is concerned, even though it still has many missing features. But do you think active users on here like myself and Roy don't bang on YouViews door about it? Because we do.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,414Member, Champion mod
    Visionman said:
    But do you think active users on here like myself and Roy don't bang on YouViews door about it? Because we do.
    Personally I find it more comfortable when one goes through their door and talks to them face to face ;)
    Visionman said:
    I know I am massively pro-active where YouView is concerned, even though it still has many missing features. But do you think active users on here like myself and Roy don't bang on YouViews door about it? Because we do.
    That doesn't seem to have much effect @Visionman Perhaps it needs putting over more effectively.
    edited 3 November 2018, 5:47PM
    Meaning what @dreamtime?

There have been changes you know, and for the positive. Only many seem to want to ignore them. Still plenty to do.
    Visionman said:
    Meaning what @dreamtime?

There have been changes you know, and for the positive. Only many seem to want to ignore them. Still plenty to do.
    Yes @Visionman We remember the change that removed the facilities that they now find it so hard to put back even after promising that they would. Keep trying though or perhaps a change of tactics?
    So which new platform are you thinking of getting?
    @Visionman   Still waiting for the promises to be kept. Shouldn't be much longer, should it?
    Unfortunately I have no idea.