2TB Youview?

I've been looking for a current Youview model work a 2TB hard drive, but it seems there isn't one?
There was the Humax DTR-T1010 2TB back in 2014 but weirdly Humax hasn't brought anything out since the DTR-T2000 1TB and focus looks have to switched to Freeview Play and the Humax FVP-5000T.
I'm not all that keen on the interface of Freeview Play and have owned the T2000 a few years ago which was a good experience.

Any advice would be most welcome :)

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2018, 6:42AM
    Indeed, there isn’t one.

But if you buy any Humax YouView box with a lesser capacity drive, and a compatible 2TB drive in addition, the chances are very good that you will be able to simply swap out the original drive for the 2TB one, and the box will partition the drive to YouView spec and give you the whole 2TB overall.

According to what I can see on Amazon, it costs little more to buy the highest spec YouView box, the 1TB BT DTR-T4000, plus a 2TB drive to swap in, than it does to buy a 1TB DTR-T2000. 
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Chris TownsonChris Townson Posts: 10Member
    Thanks for the reply.
    Good news that's it's so easy to replace with a higher capacity hard drive, but I assume that would invalidate the warranty?

The last time I was in the market for a humax (I've had a few over the years) Humax Direct exclusively sold higher capacity variants of some models.

Yes, it would invalidate the warranty.

You could always buy a secondhand box without one, though.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • LukеLukе Posts: 15Member
    Do the DTR-T4000s have a warranty?  The DTR-T4000 isn't a retail model.  Aren't the 'new' DTR-T4000 boxes unused and unwanted boxes sourced via BT customers who did not want them?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,892Member ✭✭✭
    T4000s aren't sold retail so no, you wouldn't get a warranty.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,630Member ✭✭✭
    PVRs were never and are not intended to act as long-term archives. There are even rules governing this, although more breached than observed. So get your stuff online and if you must keep it do in the cloud, it's the future. ;)
    Visionman said:
    T4000s aren't sold retail so no, you wouldn't get a warranty.
    Not true. You won’t get a BT or Humax warranty, but the third party seller on Amazon stands behind them.
    redchiz said:
    PVRs were never and are not intended to act as long-term archives. There are even rules governing this, although more breached than observed. So get your stuff online and if you must keep it do in the cloud, it's the future. ;)
    Thanks @redchiz. My wife would like to keep the Poldark episode shown last night on BBC1 HD for posterity, not just on our YouView box. Can you tell her how she should go about this, as per your advice above? Taking care, or course, not to break any rules there may be around such activities.
  • I put a small SSD into one of my T4000s to see if it makes any difference to the box. It certainly makes the interface snappier. Sacrificed space for speed as I am rigorous deleter of stuff I have watched (and possibly expect the drive to fail eventually). The process is extremely easy on the BT boxes and the box reformats the drive automatically.

However I haven’t been able to successfully reformat the 1TB drive I took out. The old BT vision boxes used to do a low level disk lock so they couldn’t be used in another device. Not sure if the YV boxes do something similar. 
  • Chris TownsonChris Townson Posts: 10Member
    Interesting stuff guys. Learning lots here.
    I'm  tempted to get a second hand BT box and stick a 2TB drive in there.
    The intention isn't to archive as such, but we often record things we wish to watch together, but with busy lives months can go by before we have chance to work through a series. By which time a lot more recording has taken place.
    Oh well, only 30 years until retirement :P
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,892Member ✭✭✭
    Without talking about anyones situation in particular, heres the problem with 1 or 2TB drives, which is also true.
    1, If a user fills a 1 or 2TB drive up with recordings, try watching them all, which isn't possible with further recordings constantly being added (or even if they aren't).
    2, PVRs were never meant or intended to be long term storage devices. And -
    3, One day the box will end its life-span and the loss of such a large amount of recordings would no doubt be extremely annoying and frustrating.

One solution would be to get two 1TB boxes, which in case of failure would mean the loss of only(!) 1TB of recordings instead of two.

However, you can’t set different codes for YouView remotes, so both boxes, if together, would respond to one remote; the workaround is to keep a black cloth handy, and drape it over the magic eye of the box you don’t want to respond.

It is also possible, by downloading the BT TV App as well as the YouView App on your mobile or tablet, to overcome the YouView app issue that you can’t have two copies of it, or control two boxes from the one App.

Just pair one App with one box, and the other App with the other box. You don’t need to actually have BT TV to use their App for this; it works perfectly well without.