BT TV app sourcecode linux.

matt1309matt1309 Posts: 3Member
edited 2 July 2018, 7:56PM in Discussion
Hi, Youview community. 
I'm currently swapping my ISP to BT and looking forward to having BT TV. I however want BT TV on several TV's throughout my house but will only be supplied one youview box. I have several small HTPC (home theatre PC) on these computers running a linux operating system. From what I've seen online there isn't a linux player for BT TV, however from what I've read Youview boxes are running a linux OS and BT TV is IPTV.
Is there a way I can get the source code for the BT TV player app on the youview box.  
Tagged:

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    No.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 4 July 2018, 6:24AM
    matt1309 said:
    Hi, Youview community. 
    I'm currently swapping my ISP to BT and looking forward to having BT TV. I however want BT TV on several TV's throughout my house but will only be supplied one youview box. I have several small HTPC (home theatre PC) on these computers running a linux operating system. From what I've seen online there isn't a linux player for BT TV, however from what I've read Youview boxes are running a linux OS and BT TV is IPTV.
    Is there a way I can get the source code for the BT TV player app on the youview box.  
    I should perhaps elaborate on this a little.

In this multi-TV world, we are used now not just to having Netflix, NowTV and Amazon Video potentially available on any TV in our houses, but even being able to park them, and pick up at the same place in the same show on another TV.

Where the single, static, YouView box, tied by its HDMI cable to one and only one TV, seems a little stone-age by comparison.

But it is what it is, and though you can get a second box from BT, this multiview option commands a hefty premium.

What you can do though, if you have more than one YouView box, is easily swap which one is your BT TV one - i.e. the one on which you can watch the extra BT TV channels. And even record them, though you can only watch BT TV recordings that have been made on that box, and then only when it is carrying the BT TV ‘baton’.

But even if you had the source code to the BT TV Player, that jealously guarded piece of IPTV proprietary software in which the ‘IP’ is as much ‘Intellectual Property’ as it is ‘Internet Protocol’, you would find it full of hooks to the base YouView software and firmware, equally carefully guarded where proprietary, and so not much use to you on its own.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • matt1309matt1309 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks Roy. That's a shame, not only for my case but also other linux users. Fingers crossed they release some sort of linux client soon.

Thanks for the reply. 
    edited 4 July 2018, 7:34AM
    You might want to download the Android version of the BT TV app, and see what you can do with it*, as I think it will overcome some of the limitations of the box, and let you use the service in a wider way.

I’m not sure who ‘they’ are (BT? YouView?) but they will have about zero interest in providing a Linux client, or even a Windows client with its much wider currency; both would be a bed of pain for support, even if YouView weren’t philosophically opposed to such things. And where, incidentally, ‘follow the money’ doesn’t lead to any  :p

And the revered name of Topfield, the PVR tinkerers’ wet dream, provokes only a shudder at YouView Towers  :# 

Despite the Linux base of the YouView software, (cause of false hopes before now to more than one denizen of the small subset of humanity who get the XKCD joke below) it is sewn up very tightly, and the model is more Apple than anything open; YouView have firm views about what the boxen should and shouldn’t do, and maintain strong control over them.

*but not try to decompile it, oh no; that’s completely against the T&Cs  >:)
  • matt1309matt1309 Posts: 3Member
    hahahaa! 
    Good shout with the android version of BT TV had't thought of that, big help thanks Roy. Android x86 here i come. 
    Thanks for explaining. 
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the XKCD reference @Roy - that's kept me amused for several hours.
     :)