Weak signal message

mogwinsmogwins Member Posts: 3
We do have a weak TV signal. But the Humax YouView keeps throwing up the weak signal warning every 3 minutes, even when the picture is fine. Is there any way to disable this? It's annoying as hell.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭
    You can’t stop the message, but you could try a signal booster....
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
  • mogwinsmogwins Member Posts: 3
    edited 11 July 2018, 12:04PM
    Thanks. I'm already using a signal booster. I've accepted that there's no easy solution to my signal problem and that is going to mean my viewing is occasionally interrupted.

The problem is that error message is far more intrusive than the weak signal!

As you can see in the image above that the TV picture is fine, the only reason I can't watch it is because of the error message, which kicks in even when the signal strength is perfectly tolerable. The ability to disable this warning would be useful. 
    What are the Signal Strength and Quality shown for a weak channel, in Settings?

Have you tried a soft reset (while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby Button on the left of the fascia, or the centre ring if a T1000, for just over 8 seconds until the box reboots)?

This might just be a weirdosity that you can clear this way. 
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
  • mogwinsmogwins Member Posts: 3
    I shall give it a go. At half time, of course! ;)
    Optimist. Prudence demands you wait until full time  :p
  • ManicMoovManicMoov Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same issue. My picture and sound quality on HD channels is not only “tolerable”, it is perfect. Yet this irritating message fills my screen every few minutes. 
    Soft reset didn’t help. 
    I’ve realised that the message does not get recorded, so I have taken to recording everything and watch a bit later. 
    Note: pausing and resuming playback of a live broadcast won’t stop the message appearing. But actually recording the program and after a few seconds watching it from the MyTV menu, while it’s still recording, will stop the messages (obviously this only works if your YouView box has a recorder in it).
    Not ideal, but acceptable until the next software update. 
  • Tim CTim C Member Posts: 461 ✭✭
    What signal strength & quality do you actually get?
  • agdeweyagdewey Member Posts: 40
    This error message is infuriating, and makes watching live TV a frustrating experience. I'm in a low signal area, and even with an amplifier, my signal strength is around the 40-60% mark, with quality ranging from 60-100%. I can be watching TV, and have no issues with the picture, yet this message pops up, either requiring an input on the remote, or I have to wait for it to disappear. I know I have a weak signal, and I don't need to be told every few minutes - I can see it for myself. This message should only appear if the signal drops out for a long period, not if there's a slight picture breakup. It's bad enough dealing with a weak signal, but this makes it 10 times worse!
  • John LJohn L Member Posts: 497
    Hi agdewey,
    Do you know what reading you get from your tv's own tuner? Should be a menu within settings that shows you the signal strength. Hopefully this is a lot better signal strength. I appreciate the annoyance, we get the same problem when using Youview. I wish Youview would provide a on/off setting, but more importantly, manage to solve the problem if there is an issue. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • agdeweyagdewey Member Posts: 40
    I haven't tried connecting the aerial directly to the TV, but I will give it a go. The signal passed through from the Youview box, is worse than on the box itself, but that's to be expected. The error is especially annoying when it's related to the channel I'm currently watching. The picture can be perfectly acceptable, but the software obviously sees an issue in the background.
  • mb1mb1 Member Posts: 16
    Bump! Please find a way to suppress this message. It's really annoying. There is nothing wrong with the picture. 

When I can't watch the programme at all is my way of knowing the signal is weak!

Either the level of tolerance needs amending or the message needs removing entirely and it leaves the viewer to be the judge of whether it's too weak to watch. 
  • nealfoznealfoz Member Posts: 1
    I also have this issue it is extremely annoying. My signal is pretty good most of the time, not top quality but like the other person, I can still see the picture behind the message. Having to press back every 5 mins sometimes. Why a full screen black message?? I wouldn't mind a small indicator in the top corner or something to warn me. This has to be changed.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 160
    Good luck with that as the original post was nearly 3 years ago.