[Discussion] Android app update 11.2.2.3

SarahSarah Posts: 935Administrator admin
Hi all, 

Please feel free to feedback on the latest Android 11.2.2.3 update in this thread.

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,285Member ✭✭
    edited 20 July 2018, 1:05PM
    Is this available yet? If I follow the link on your link it tells me the current version is 11.1.10 which is what I get on my Pixel2.
    Thanks
  • StephenStephen Posts: 656Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're doing the usual incremental-rollout game with this release, so it should become available to you relatively soon if it isn't already now.
  • Bob BoulbyBob Boulby Posts: 55Member
    Does this fix the "Cannot connect" bug (YVM5010)?

Bob.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 935Administrator admin
    Does this fix the "Cannot connect" bug (YVM5010)?

Bob.
    Hi Bob, 
    Can you let us know which Android device you are using where you are experiencing this error?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 23 July 2018, 5:11PM
    A Google Pixel running Android 8.1.0. There are many comments in the Play Store about this.

Bob.
    A Google Pixel running Android 8.1.0. There are many comments in the Play Store about this.

Bob.
    Hi Bob,

We are aware of an issue with Google Pixels pairing with the YouView box which our team are still investigating. We have a fix out on iOS however it's taking a little longer to get it fixed on Android. Our team are happy to get Google Pixel users on board to trial the new software when it becomes available. If this is something you'd like to be involved in please let me know :)

Thanks,
    Sarah
    You already have my details Sarah (from the Google Play Store). I was just hoping that the fix might be included in this release - just have to be a bit more patient :smile:

Bob.
  • alal Posts: 1,285Member ✭✭
    Happy to trial with my pixel2 although I haven't had any connection problems yet.
    al said:
    Happy to trial with my pixel2 although I haven't had any connection problems yet.
    Hi @al

We're only seeking Pixel users who are experiencing the connection issue at the moment so you should be fine with the version you're on however if you do start experiencing any connection issues please let me know and we can get you added to it :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    al said:
    @al I think I'm right in saying that once connected you will stay connected. The problem is if you break the connection then you can't reconnect again.

@Sarah, is this thought to be a hardware specific problem, I'd assumed that it was a problem with later versions of Android which Pixel phones are more likely to have?

Bob.
    al said:
    @Sarah, is this thought to be a hardware specific problem, I'd assumed that it was a problem with later versions of Android which Pixel phones are more likely to have?

Bob.
    We've found these tend to be ones on the Oreo version of Android however, at least from the reports from users we've received in the viewer support team, I've found that it mainly seems to be affecting Pixel and Pixel2XL devices, I've not personally seen any for Pixel 2 (non-XL).

I have a Pixel 2 myself which is on the latest update and also on Oreo and I have managed to connect to my YV box numerous times and send bookings without any trouble. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Hi, I'm new to this thread but came across it while searching. I'm using a HTC 10 phone on Oreo and my phone can't find either of my YouView boxes. I've used the app Fing (which searches devices on the home network) and both boxes are visible. I've also tried two previous versions of the YouView app.
    The Samsung S7 on Oreo in the house can find and connect no problem.
    Not sure why one phone would work fine and another not.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,543Member ✭✭✭

Not sure why one phone would work fine and another not.
    Hi @SquishedChip and welcome to the forum!

Normally, the answer to this is that unlike on Apple/iOS, every manufacturer makes their own hardware decisions about what goes into an Android phone, and their own software decisions about exactly what Android looks like on the device, and what extensions to it are provided.

And the YouView developers have to try to cater for all these different 
    flavours, to which end each new release of the app is tested on a battery of different Android phones, certainly including all the top-selling models.

Which is probably why your Samsung S7 works and your HTC 10 doesn’t - maybe YouView will now have to buy one of these and try it.

Though the issue with the Pixel phones is weird and troubling - Google famously use as close to stock Android as they can get, or at least they used to. And you would expect the Pixel phones to use pretty much the same hardware from model to model; but somewhere in there is what is probably a tiny difference that is tripping up the YouView Android app.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    Just updated my Pixel to Android 9 and the YouView app is connecting now.

Bob.
    Just updated my Pixel to Android 9 and the YouView app is connecting now.

Bob.
    Thanks for letting us know Bob :) 
  • JohnnysodJohnnysod Posts: 7Member
    edited 29 November 2018, 2:49PM
    Hi. 
    I am experiencing the "Cannot connect" bug (YVM5010).
    My phone is an Oukitel K6  running 7.1.1.
    I also have an Oukitel K6000 pro running 7.0. This connects without issue. 
    The K6 has worked up until recently when I reset the app, so a previous version of the app must have paired ok (I got the phone in April so this was probably after the code option but I'm not sure). I've also had new phone firmware since then.
    Is it possible that my phone is still registered to an orphaned device on your server and preventing it connecting or would that show in the app.
    My house is full of smart home WiFi devices and the K6 has no issues with controlling any of them.
    I've also tried downloading some old apk's but no luck. This makes me think it could be the box firmware or the phones new firmware or something at the youview servers.
    Any ideas? 
    John 
    edited 2 December 2018, 9:16AM
    I've fixed it, and this might help others.

1. Turn on Airplane mode (swipe down from the top and click on the aeroplane).
    2. This stops mobile data but also turns off WiFi, you need to re-enable it (swipe down and reconnect to your WiFi router).
    3 Once WiFi is enabled, rescan with the Youview app - it should discover your box.

Done

I had suspected that the phone was getting some of its data from the mobile network. By turning on flight mode it prevents the mobile network so all communication had to go through the WiFi.
    Hope this helps someone, its i great system when it works.

John
    edited 3 December 2018, 9:22AM
    I've fixed it, and this might help others using 7.1.1.

1. Turn on Airplane mode (swipe down from the top and click on the aeroplane).
    2. This stops mobile data but also turns off WiFi, you need to re-enable it (swipe down and reconnect to your WiFi router).
    3 Once WiFi is enabled, rescan with the Youview app - it should discover your box.

Done

I had suspected that the phone was directing some of its data to the mobile network. By turning on flight mode it prevents the mobile network so all communication had to go through the WiFi.
    Hope this helps someone, its i great system when it works.

John