Ofcom - Subscription on demand surpasses pay-TV subs

VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
"The number of UK subscriptions to streaming services such as Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay-TV for the first time, marking a major shift in the UK’s viewing habits."

https://advanced-television.com/category/broadcast/dthsatellite/

Comments

• WelshPaulWelshPaul Posts: 15Member
    I don't think it has anything to do with viewing habits, sky is expensive, virgin media is expensive, constant repeats and too many adverts are my reasons for using streaming services and reverting back to freeview via youview.

Tvplayer, nowtv, Netflix, prime are so much cheaper than traditional subscription TV! I get no ads, with two of the above mentioned offerings and I don't mind ads with the other two as the lower price compared to subscription TV is a compromise.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 July 2018, 5:59AM
    Visionman said:
    "The number of UK subscriptions to streaming services such as Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay-TV for the first time, marking a major shift in the UK’s viewing habits."

https://advanced-television.com/category/broadcast/dthsatellite/
    I didn’t find what you described by clicking on that link, which I think may vary dynamically as time passes.

But I did chase it down here:-

https://advanced-television.com/2018/07/18/ofcom-svod-subs-top-pay-tv/

The savvy may note that a subscription to Netflix, Prime, and/or NowTV does not exactly equate to a subscription to Sky or Virgin, which are ‘either/or’ services, whereas these streaming services tend to be ‘and/or’, and it would be interesting to know how many households are involved in each case.

But we do see the numbers £6.4bn versus £2.3bn, which is illuminating. And of course, Sky gets a slice of that £2.3bn anyway, from NowTV, cleverly, it hopes, walking the tightrope of pulling in extra punters without cannibalising its main pay-tv offering. And Amazon has to spend some of its slice on express delivery of packages  :p

No mention of sport there either; in related news, I see that BT has lost the Serie A UK broadcasting rights, which has got to hurt
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    In regard to BT losing Serie A, hardly anyone watched it Roy, and it registered 0% on BARBs viewing figures. Although it didn't cost a lot, whats the point in spending money on something that viewers hardly watch?
    SKY have also lost La Liga, which had 100,000 viewers tops (average 60). 
    Both packages have been lost to a new UK entrant called Eleven Sports, who have also obtained other niche football leagues. Though which platforms it will be available on have yet to be announced.
  • sdrogersonsdrogerson Posts: 1Member
    I find myself using Netflix/Prime Video and various others life Studio Canal to watch TV more and more and BBC anything really to allow me to watch what I want when I want with no adverts.