BT sports policy

jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
According to an article in the Financial Times (behind paywall):
BT Sport is walking away from rights to NBA basketball and UFC ultimate fighting broadcasts as it makes a value push amid ever-increasing sports rights costs.

Five years after its launch, the sports division is no longer considered a "core" part of its consumer offering, and the company is beginning to focus more on its more valuable rights (such as exclusive Champions League and Premier League games, locked up for three more years).

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    And the BBC carried this this morning.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
    ...the firm's spokesperson said it was focusing on gaining more subscribers for its offering as well as "investing in more broadcast innovations"...
    Wonderfully vague.  ;) 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,084Member ✭✭✭
    Going forward, BT Sport will continue shedding more sport rights and will in the future be concentrating on becoming far more disciplined in retaining actual sport subscription drivers than peripheral niche content.  
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 261Member ✭✭
    I do like to watch football but I don't go out of my way to watch every game that BT show. I like other sports as well. If it was not for me still getting the full BT Sports pack for free I would think about maybe canceling BT Sport depending on the price per month.

Darren