Quest HD

RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
Freeview just announced that Quest HD is now available on channel 114.

And I now have it on my YouView box, though I had to retune to get it.
Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 15 August 2018, 8:20AM
    Mine just appeared yesterday (as I was looking for it). The app didn't show it yesterday - although the "also in HD" option was there. Today the app is all good.
    I'm pleased I'll be able to watch Fifth Gear in HD.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    This new channel has only appeared because QUEST has won the EFL (Football League) highlights package from CH5. Its being broadcast at a bitrate (Mbps) between 3.7Mbps to 11.1. However, and crucially for watching fast moving sport, they are only broadcasting at 25fps (frames per second). Whereas SKY, BT and Virgin broadcast at 50.
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    It's broadcast at i50 with a p flag. During the sport they should use the i flag and your TV will display correctly.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2018, 10:06PM
    Hi al. I don't know what an i50 with a p flag is or what it means.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 129Member
    Roy said:
    Freeview just announced that Quest HD is now available on channel 114.

And I now have it on my YouView box, though I had to retune to get it.
    You are in the winners row of the FreeView Postcode Lottery.

I do bang on about this but it’s only available to 75% of people with FreeView.

im unlucky and in the 25%.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Hi ai. I don't know what an i50 with a p flag is or what it means.
    (i)nterlaced 50 fields/second, with a flag that says it’s (p)rogressive.

Interlaced means that for each frame, the odd-numbered lines are sent as a field (1,3,5,7.....), and then the even-numbered lines as a second field (2,4,6,8.....).

Progressive means the lines are sent 1,2,3,4,5..... in a field, so i50 equates to p25, and p50 is twice as good.

You can only compare frame rates if you are sure you aren’t comparing i apples and p pears.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2018, 9:32PM
    iApples? Do they come with an App to tell you when they are ripe :s?
  • skillerskiller Posts: 282Member ✭✭
    The launch of this channel has piqued my interest in how new channels arrive on the various YouView boxes.

At one property, I have a Retail T2000 and a BT T1000 both on the same aerial, but Quest HD did not appear on each box at the same time, or even on the same day!

And at another property, I have a Retail T2000 and a BT T2100 again both on the same aerial, but Quest HD has only appeared on the T2000 and is still non-existent on the T2100. How can it be on one but not the other, when both are fed with the same aerial? I could understand it if signal degradation was causing the second box in the chain not to have it even though the first one does, but they are actually connected the other way around (ie the T2100 is first in the chain).

Not to mention the fact that the T2100 can see BBC4HD which I think is on COM8 (the same mux as Quest HD, I believe).

Any ideas anyone?
    edited 17 August 2018, 6:52AM
    jonesh said:
    iApples? Do they come with an App to tell you when they are ripe :s?
    Did you write that with malic aforethought? Gives me the pip  :p
    skiller said:
    The launch of this channel has piqued my interest in how new channels arrive on the various YouView boxes.

At one property, I have a Retail T2000 and a BT T1000 both on the same aerial, but Quest HD did not appear on each box at the same time, or even on the same day!

And at another property, I have a Retail T2000 and a BT T2100 again both on the same aerial, but Quest HD has only appeared on the T2000 and is still non-existent on the T2100. How can it be on one but not the other, when both are fed with the same aerial? I could understand it if signal degradation was causing the second box in the chain not to have it even though the first one does, but they are actually connected the other way around (ie the T2100 is first in the chain).

Not to mention the fact that the T2100 can see BBC4HD which I think is on COM8 (the same mux as Quest HD, I believe).

Any ideas anyone?
    I retuned to get it. Some people found it popped up automatically.

I wonder if it pops up if you select another channel on that mux, which makes the box look at that mux?
  • skillerskiller Posts: 282Member ✭✭
    Roy said:
    I retuned to get it. Some people found it popped up automatically.

I wonder if it pops up if you select another channel on that mux, which makes the box look at that mux?
    Yes, I dare say that if I had chosen to retune, then it would have appeared in the EPG at once, but I was just curious how the boxes acquire new channels without a manual retune, given the apparent inconsistencies.

Quest HD has now appeared on all my boxes now and that's an interesting idea about selecting another channel from the same mux. I can't be sure if that's what happened but it's a possibility and I'll try to remember that next time a new channel is due to arrive. Thanks for the tip!
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 760Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 August 2018, 9:57AM
    Roy said:

This is exactly what happens - I've just tried it on my second T2000 which was not showing Quest HD 114. I tuned to BBC4 HD 106, then punched up the guide and hey presto, Quest HD's in the guide. B)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    Anaglypta said:
    Roy said:

This is exactly what happens - I've just tried it on my second T2000 which was not showing Quest HD 114. I tuned to BBC4 HD 106, then punched up the guide and hey presto, Quest HD's in the guide. B)

John.

He's a clever boy that Roy.