Racing UK

Hi, when I try to log in on the Racing Uk channel, it won't let me enter my full username, which is my email address. Therefore it won't let me log in to view. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 August 2018, 6:18AM
    Yes, a limit of 20 characters in YouView, but many more allowed in Freeview on a Samsung TV.

I wonder if this is a YouView or a Racing UK issue though; worth asking Racing UK via www.racinguk.com/freeview
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 797Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @winniewigs ,

And welcome to the forum. I've just tried to use an email address as the username and I got stuck after entering the full stop character. The only character I could enter after the stop was "a" where I was trying to get to the "c" in .co.uk. Is this what you are seeing?

I also tried this on my S*m*u*g TV, where I was able to enter a full email address without problem.

I'm not sure who's responsibility this is, but as @Roy suggests above, I would contact Racing UK. Perhaps @Sarah can also have a look from YouView's position.

Hope this helps

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • winniewigswinniewigs Posts: 4Member
    Thanks to you both. I shall ask Racing UK. I'm guessing it's a youview problem though if they limit it to 20 characters.
    edited 26 August 2018, 11:20AM
    Thanks to you both. I shall ask Racing UK. I'm guessing it's a youview problem though if they limit it to 20 characters.
    It’s noteworthy that the operation of Racing UK is slightly different on YouView from what it is on Freeview.

I’m guessing that YouView has slightly different requirements to Freeview, and to be on YouView, Racing UK had to work to YouView’s APIs.

But I doubt that YouView will have written this front-end for Racing UK, or that these APIs would enforce a 20-character limit on username; so I think we will find that this is a Racing UK error, and something for them to fix.

But I could be wrong.....
    Holding my breath....
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 958Member ✭✭
    Just an observation as don’t use the channel myself,

This press release  suggest that arqiva May be involved here

https://www.arqiva.com/news/press-releases/arqiva-brings-racing-uk-to-youview/
    Thanks for the link @zulu17 . So unless Arquiva created a special port of their Racing UK app just for the YouView platform, the problem is most likely caused by YouView.

John
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,951Member ✭✭✭
    Why don't you ask racing UK to change your username?? My username is much shorter than my email address.
    edited 26 August 2018, 9:49PM
    Daniel said:
    Why don't you ask racing UK to change your username?? My username is much shorter than my email address.
    Humph. How would it be if users everywhere cravenly accepted the limitations unjustly placed on them by bugs and bad design decisions in software?  :p
    Holding my breath....
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Humph. How would it be if users everywhere cravenly accepted the limitations unjustly placed on them by bugs and bad design decisions in software?  :p

Nice to see your smiley is now on the baseline. :D

John.

@roy I was thinking quick fix for this user. Obviously if loads had this issue and have to change the username hopefully the agents tell the bosses then hopefully they fix it in the first place.
    Daniel said:
    @roy I was thinking quick fix for this user. Obviously if loads had this issue and have to change the username hopefully the agents tell the bosses then hopefully they fix it in the first place.
    I could do the quick fix, however I thought all usernames were email addresses so more people would have this problem. It seems strange that after a quick google search, I seem to be the only one that's flagged up this problem so thought I was doing something wrong. I'm also guessing e have to log in everytime to view the channel?
    edited 26 August 2018, 10:00PM
    Anaglypta said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:

Nice to see your smiley is now on the baseline. :D

John.

Yes, it’s not everywhere it does it.  I wonder what triggers it? Happening on a second line, a fair way along? :p  But only when there is a third line? Or just in a few places? Who can tell? (I’m rambling to create the required environment here, and not succeeding in this case).

Holding my breath....
    edited 26 August 2018, 10:11PM
    Or maybe using Quote fixes it? Looks like you have to push to a second line to provoke it, though. :s With maybe even a third involved here, once you get to that point. And beyond... Text underneath it? Nope.. looks like i got lucky on my first report of this.

“I see this both on my iPad and in Firefox on my laptop; a smiley no longer sits on the baseline, but rises above it thus:   adding extra spacing between this line and the preceding one to accommodate itself.”

Humph. I copied my offending paragraph, and now I have a new issue - a giant smiley, as well as this addition making the first smiley do the moonrise trick....
    Holding my breath....
    edited 26 August 2018, 11:28PM
    @winniewigs No because my username certainly isn't my email address. The channel when you log in saves your login until you logout or reset the box to factory settings. Once you get the login problem sorted you login first time after that future uses you goto the channel wait for the press red button notification and it will automatically log you in and load the interface after pressing red.
    Daniel said:
    @winniewigs No because my username certainly isn't my email address. The channel when you log in saves your login until you logout or reset the box to factory settings. Once you get the login problem sorted you login first time after that future uses you goto the channel wait for the press red button notification and it will automatically log you in and load the interface after pressing red.
    So @winniewigs could log in once on Freeview with the long name, and then it wouldn’t be needed on YouView?
    Holding my breath....
    These channels can't be recorded at all so if they have built in Freeview that supports IP channels as not every TV does then it would not make much difference if they login through Freeview @Roy
    An update for everyone. Racing UK customer services are top notch. Phone call lasted 1 minute tops. It's a youview issue, and they just shortened my username (as previously suggested).

I'm still surprised no one else has had this issue but it's all sorted now. Thanks for everyone's help
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,361Administrator admin
    Hi @winniewigs

Welcome to the forum :) 

We're glad to hear that Racing UK were able to swiftly sort out your username so you could login.

I raised this with our Content team who have gone on to raise the issue with Arqiva to provide a fix. Once I have an update on this I'll post here just so that anyone else currently encountering this issue knows that it's fixed :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 29 August 2018, 6:32AM
    Right, so this is a ‘YouView error’ in that it only shows up on YouView, but it is not an error by YouView, it is an error by Arqiva in the YouView front-end they have built for Racing UK.

Which YouView have now told Arqiva about, so they can put it right.

I‘m glad we have that clarified now  :p
    Holding my breath....
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,361Administrator admin
    Hi all,
    Just to update, the number of characters a username can have when logging in has been increased from 20 to 26. At present it can't be made longer due to font sizes in the app. As the font size is smaller on other Freeview devices, this would be the reason why there is a limit on YouView. 
    This may change in the future but for now, logging into Racing UK through YouView requires a username of 26 characters or less. We would recommend users to change their username to a shorter one if they're going to be logging into Racing UK on YouView. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Dnoo69Dnoo69 Posts: 32Member
    Hello 
    Had an old you view box that was not being used so set it up in conservatory. 

Racing tv on the red button worked fine, loaded fine, everything great.
    But only until the next time the box switched off.

So then when you go to watch it loads but only the sound comes out. 
    With black screen. 

How strange it works fine until box goes off!?

Only way to then get it right again is to retune or factory reset and again it then works fine again. 
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 336Time out
    edited 4 September 2019, 3:06PM
    Even strange boarding on spooky is that yours and the previous post were posted around 4pm but a year apart!