YouView vs Freeview Play

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,451Member ✭✭✭
    Yup - the cuckoo, unable to advance its BT Vision hatchling to maturity, but temporarily armed with big bucks, has equally temporarily taken over the nest.

But what will happen when BT implodes, as it is on course to do next year?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,837Member ✭✭✭
    Always going to be down to personal preference. I have just got a new LG tv with Freeview play built in, I lasted 5 minutes before going back to youview. A lot because of the amount of HD/UHD channels available through BT TV but also because it seemed a bit fragmented. That said I have also been onto BT about the lack of HDR now I have a new tv lol (I did get my answer). I just suppose some people will never be happy and always want more :-)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,700Member ✭✭✭
    #shrug
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,021Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz>
    "I just suppose some people will never be happy and always want more." :-)

#AMEN.  YouView could bring out a new box that spits gold bars at you once an hour every hour and some would still complain.
    Visionman said:
    redchiz>

#AMEN.  YouView could bring out a new box that spits gold bars at you once an hour every hour and some would still complain.
    Only once an hour?  :'(
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,417Member, Champion mod
    Visionman said:
    redchiz>

I'd be very happy to volunteer to trial that feature, in fact I could probably accommodate 2 boxes (although that is perhaps a little too greedy) ;)
    edited 31 August 2018, 8:48AM
    Keith said:
    Visionman said:
    redchiz>

I'd be very happy to volunteer to trial that feature, in fact I could probably accommodate 2 boxes (although that is perhaps a little too greedy) ;)

A-u-View?
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,973Member ✭✭✭
    "YouView, with its blue livery and extensive search and catch-up functionality, is intuitive but all over the place when it comes to features, depending on your viewing platform."

Is this a bit of an exaggeration? For the 5 years that Youview has been around its been a consistent user experience from box to box. The exception being Surround sound on Netflix being only on the BT T4000 boxes. Admitedly BT have brought prime video to their boxes to start with, but they'll also be coming to the rest of Youview at some point when BT have blown their own trumpet enough. 

Really as a like for like comparison the reviewer should be only comparing retail Youview with Freeview Play. Retail Youview is the same across all PVR boxes, and will give a consistent user experience. As far as i can see it's Freeview play that has the inconsistency in its features due to the open nature of the platform? Every manufacturer using Freeview Play skins it differently, and will have different apps sitting along side it, which aren't integrated with universal search as Youview does. That to my mind is the big distinguishing feature from Youview. 

Don't get me wrong i don't think Youview is perfect but, but to say it's "all over the place when it comes to features" is a bit disingenuous. Its retail aspect is a pretty solid platform, thats consistent, and to my mind offers more features then Freeview play currently does. 

I certainly think if you want a simple consistent user interface thats intuitive and fully integrates the *New* connected tv experience, then go with Youview. At present to my mind Freeview play is by nature a more disjointed experience which sits alongside, and not fully integrated with different manufactures own platforms, each bringing a different set of apps that are used outside of the Freeview Play platform.
    Of course happy to hear from Freeview Play users with first hand experience...

edited 4 September 2018, 1:07PM
    Unless you have a house full of twisty little Freeview Play TV sets, all different, you aren’t going to care very much if yours differs from other peoples’, any more than people much care how many different-looking Android phones there are out there.

As for YouView’s integrated search, mine is all cluttered up with BT TV and NowTV Movie results from services I don’t subscribe to, and have no intention of doing so, and doesn’t cover NowTV Entertainment which I do have, nor (yet) Amazon Video, all of which makes it pretty valueless to me.

YouView versus Freeview Play is a lot like iOS versus Android actually. Like iOS, YouView’s strengths are also its weaknesses.
    edited 4 September 2018, 6:43PM
    Yeah - I guess in terms of simplicity i could recommend Youview knowing exactly what's available on the platform. You know what your getting. With Freeview play I'd be hazarding a guess as there's many manufactures with different selections of apps to choose from, and probably different user features too. Which goes back to my point about the reviewer essentially saying that you don't know what you're going to get with Youview:

"but all over the place when it comes to features"

Seems that comment is misleading to me. If anything its the other way around.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 127Member
    Can’t they build a TV with Both YouView & FreeView Play built in?

i’d prefer YouView over Satellite.
    If FreeSat is just software then isn’t YouView exactly the same. 

I dont understand why they can’t be on both. 
    Compromises would have to be made but it could be workable. 
    The EPG’s are an obvious barrier and Pay TV options. But again it’s all about having a decent software that translates from both platforms. 

Aerial & satellite are not going anywhere yet and a box or TV with a uniformed interference that accepts both inputs would be refreshing. Especially if this was one of the big boys such as Google Android (Sony) or Samsung or LG or Panasonic. 

What is the real limitation?
    Trying to figure out what your proposal is here  :p

Freeview Play was designed as a rival to YouView, possibly by those disenchanted by YouView’s lurch into being principally a PayTV platform for BT.

So you are unlikely to see them together.

I have no idea how Freesat came into this, but there are lots of sets with Freesat and Freeview, if not indeed Freeview Play.

If Freesat is the same as YouView because it’s just software, then we might as well include Jet Set Willy.

And the last time I experienced uniformed interference was when a bloody big Garda stopped us on the motorway to Galway  :#

But as to the big boys trying to build a set that does everything, there are plenty with satellite and terrestrial connections both; but trying to shoehorn YouView into the Sony sets has utterly stalled without YouView ever being able to record on these, or even do pause and rewind live TV, so I suspect that cost is involved; the cost of extra storage, bigger and faster processors, and so on.
  • David8David8 Posts: 644Member ✭✭
    On the latest Humax FVP DVR can you watch recordings from another box if you have multiple DVR's ?
    Wrong forum to ask this in, I think - try here.
  • David8David8 Posts: 644Member ✭✭
    Just thought someone may know the answer in this thread while they were comparing the two.
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Posts: 30Member
    edited 7 September 2018, 2:01PM
    I know I am possibly asking the impossible or improbable - but does anyone know whether we are likely to get a new bigger and faster Youview box soon?  I really want a Youview version of the FVP-500T which I have owned and returned.  I am a Youview fan. I have some BT boxes, but they don't have "Discover" which I find useful and I have a DTR-T2000 but at a second home. I guess I am hoping for a new box and I am bewildered that no one ie Humax has made one.  Thanks.  :)
    Personally I have never really bought into the Freeview Play v YouView debate, they serve quite different purposes, hence my earlier reaction. Freeview Play is first and foremost just the latest iteration of the FTA terrestrial broadcast platform built into TVs.
    edited 7 September 2018, 2:15PM
    The T2000 boxes are very good, but I think there's room for a new higher spec version now. Timing seems right for a new retail box - Netflix and Amazon are both supporting the new ultra HD content with HDR using the new standards (HDR10+, and Dolby vision). HDR standards are increasingly supported on Ultra HD Blu ray players, and 4k tvs, and other streaming boxes. Be nice to see Youview keeping up with the premier league of streamers.

If only for Youviews sake, they  should avoid giving us excuses to watch these apps on the other many devices in our homes. 
    redchiz said:
    Personally I have never really bought into the Freeview Play v YouView debate, they serve quite different purposes, hence my earlier reaction. Freeview Play is first and foremost just the latest iteration of the FTA terrestrial broadcast platform built into TVs.
    That depends on whether you're a retail youview user or not. For retail users the comparison is valid, not so much if you subscribe to extra channels through TalkTalk/BT/Plusnet.
    Yep, Netflix and Amazon are pushing the newer technologies, but tellingly the major broadcasters are not with still only a minute amount of regular content available in better than HD. Probably a question of broadcast capacity, we may see this change when Sky move into IPTV. Anyway, moving a wee bit off-topic?
    David8 said:
    Just thought someone may know the answer in this thread while they were comparing the two.
    They might here - but over there they will.
    Joe said:

That depends on whether you're a retail youview user or not. For retail users the comparison is valid, not so much if you subscribe to extra channels through TalkTalk/BT/Plusnet.
    I am a non-retail (TalkTalk) customer with a Humax box and do not subscribe to any added services at the moment, although I have in the past. So work that one out!   :)
    Jeffuk1 said:
    I know I am possibly asking the impossible or improbable - but does anyone know whether we are likely to get a new bigger and faster Youview box soon?  I really want a Youview version of the FVP-500T which I have owned and returned.  I am a Youview fan. I have some BT boxes, but they don't have "Discover" which I find useful and I have a DTR-T2000 but at a second home. I guess I am hoping for a new box and I am bewildered that no one ie Humax has made one.  Thanks.  :)
    I think the BT boxes will likely get Discover in time.

I suspect - regretfully - that retail YouView is pretty much dead, and certainly dead as far as making a newly developed box profitable for Humax, or anyone else.

And those retail holdouts, or even second tier BT users, who want the most capable box, the T4000, will find a ready selection on Amazon or eBay anyway.

AAMOI, though, why did you return that bigger and faster box you had for a while?
    edited 8 September 2018, 12:27PM
    redchiz said:
    Freeview Play on TVs is, sure, though its competitor there is YouView on Sony TVs, not YouView boxes. There are lots of pros and cons to the Sony TVs - best picture out there, possibly, but the worst OS in Android - but I don’t know how high YouView has figured in the list of pros. (And I hope it is never a con, because those who don’t like it can always turn it off).

YouView’s competitor here is Freeview HD Recorder.

And I think most people buying one retail would thereby rule out the other; in that wise, they serve essentially the same purpose, so I regard them as head-to-head competitors.
    edited 7 September 2018, 3:07PM
    redchiz said:
    Joe said:

I am a non-retail (TalkTalk) customer with a Humax box and do not subscribe to any added services at the moment, although I have in the past. So work that one out!   :)
    Interesting dichotomy.

While ‘retail’ should, strictly, be reserved for those who bought a non-subscriber box, it is also used as a loose description of non-subscriber.

You, by dint of being an ex-subscriber, are a non-subscriber, so you get what we might call the ‘retail experience’. Except for the steep wallet-draining the true retail experience commences with.

So what we call you, and what group we place you in, depends on the distinction, or the point, that we are trying to make at the time.
    edited 7 September 2018, 3:18PM
    Roy said:
    Jeffuk1 said:
    I think the BT boxes will likely get Discover in time.

I suspect - regretfully - that retail YouView is pretty much dead, and certainly dead as far as making a newly developed box profitable for Humax, or anyone else.

And those retail holdouts, or even second tier BT users, who want the most capable box, the T4000, will find a ready selection on Amazon or eBay anyway.

AAMOI, though, why did you return that bigger and faster box you had for a while?
    Is the T4000 capable of HDR? Regarding death of retail, it seems to me that its software development is advanced and current. In fact it sounds like it has leading features (Discovery) that surprisingly BT are still waiting for.
    I look at the freeview recorder box market and I don't see a suitable alternative to the retail Youview boxes. Some have awful UI and others won't have the same push for innovation & features that Youview are gradually ( sometimes too slowly) providing. Is there a decent Freeview play box yet? 
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Posts: 30Member
    edited 7 September 2018, 3:42PM
    Thanks all .... but I am clearly losing my touch as a marketeer.  I think there is a huge .. or at least sufficiently large market for Humax/Youview to make the investment wortwhile.  Any Youview enthusiast trying the 5000T who is perhaps also an ex Sky customer or Virgin V6 customer yearns for a much more sophisticated multi-tuner box with a beefy hard drive and a decent navigation speed plus .... dare I dream .... Slingbox capability.  I want to control and watch the boxes when I travel.  People do go abroad now.  All this technology is around it just needs it to be in a single box.  I have many old Slingboxes including the Freesat one ... all unreliable.  I'd pay more for such a box than for the poorer imho 5000T. 

I currently have to rely in our main home with two BT HD boxes one on top of the other to give me multi-channel recording.  I have them both using the same RC codes so that when I hit the power button one goes off as the other goers on.  Voila and sort of 5000T.  When I discussed all this with Humax, I gain the impression that there is conflict between Humax and Youview.  If so this is certainly losing users and sales of a better configured box.  I feel as though I'm being nudged towards being a Virgin customer simply to get a decent box.

Life should be easier!  It was only when using my old T200 at our other home I realised how useful discover can be as a place for example to lodge a series already started and as a quick interface for previous broadcasts.  It is a real Youview enhancement that isn't on the BT boxes.
    With the explosion of UHD 4k tvs (not literally) theres a growing fast market for Ultra HD HDR content. Netflix and Amazon are leading the way, and BBC iplayer has successfully tested HDR broadcast with the world cup. Its inevitable that people will/are seeking out this content. Seems theres already lots to watch ( at least on Netflix and Amazon) with the new dazzling picture quality of UHD. Youview better not hang around too long.  

And if we're making lists lets not forget about surround sound for Netflix, and a choice for users to chose auto-frame rate selection with Netflix and Amazon apps. AppleTV, Roku, Sony & Samsung Blu-ray players all have the ability to automatically select the correct frame rate for the wide variety of material in Netflix and Amazon. 
    edited 8 September 2018, 12:31PM
    Joe said:

Is the T4000 capable of HDR?

Regarding death of retail, it seems to me that its software development is advanced and current. In fact it sounds like it has leading features (Discovery) that surprisingly BT are still waiting for.

I look at the freeview recorder box market and I don't see a suitable alternative to the retail Youview boxes. Some have awful UI and others won't have the same push for innovation & features that Youview are gradually ( sometimes too slowly) providing.

Is there a decent Freeview play box yet? 
    I just did a back to back of Godless on Netflix direct on my TV (HDR) and on my T4000 (Ultra HD 4K), so no HDR, not on Netflix at least, and so probably not on this box at all.

87% of broadband users are with BT or ISPs owned by BT; Sky; and Virgin, all subscription box providers. Not a lot of people with no choice but to go retail, where YouView is competing with Freeview HD Record, and a few other PVR options.

And retail getting things like Discovery first is a two-edged sword; think of Retail as the gamma testers for Subscription  :p

And retail getting things like Discovery first is a two-edged sword; think of Retail as the gamma testers for Subscription  :p

*Deep intake of breath* how dare you 😅