Which Replacement Remote?

pbarpbar Posts: 5Member
edited 3 September 2018, 11:13AM in Support
HI, I have read numerous posts on remotes, but am still confused as to which will work correctly. I have this BT Youview box -

But the remote is starting to fail with some buttons. Do I need to buy the exact replacement one, or are there alternatives which will work, as I notice that the later BT Youview remotes are styled differently.

My current remote looks like this one -

Thank you.

Comments

• I use the All4One remote. The buttons are more positive and has greater range. It has a pre-programmed code for all buttons the but except the Youview 'delete program' which you can teach it from a working youview remote (I linked it to the '--' button)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Essence-Universal-control-Black/dp/B003NSIE40/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1535980032&sr=1-2&refinements=p_4:One+For+All

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,451Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2018, 1:14PM
    That remote does not belong to the DTR-T1000 YouView box in the picture, though it might belong to the BT-badged version of it, if yours in fact has a BT logo on it somewhere.

But no matter, it is working it, if dying, and any replacement Humax YouView box remote, retail or BT, will do the job.

Jusr take care to avoid any TalkTalk Huawei YouView box remotes you might come across.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • pbarpbar Posts: 5Member
    edited 3 September 2018, 8:08PM
    Thanks very much for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Roy - that was the remote which came with the box, retail from Richer Sounds, brand new. The box does indeed have the BT badge on the front.

So, is it safe to assume that the following model will work for all functions -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-Genuine-BT-YouView-Remote-Control-RC3124705-04B-Latest-2018-Model-UK/323400961070?hash=item4b4c330c2e:g:t0UAAOSwFpVbb-hD

Thank you.

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,028Member ✭✭
    Opinions differ about that remote control. 
    But I've used several YouView remotes and I think this is by far the best.  :)
    jimb said:
    Opinions differ about that remote control. 
    But I've used several YouView remotes and I think this is by far the best.  :)
    It is good, and I have one, but I find it difficult to use the double ring of buttons round the OK, after long experience with a couple of boxes with the curvy remote you can see above the main item(s) on the referenced page.

But then the curvy ones click, which I don’t mind, but some people hate it.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 37Member
    Another vote for the BT remote here. I also struggled with the double ring at first and was always hitting the wrong buttons but after only a couple of weeks I preferred it over any other that I've used.

I recently also obtained a Humax curvy remote with another box and that's driving me bonkers for a couple of reasons. I find the playback buttons being more centrally located on the BT remote works better for me than the higher location on the Humax one, I always feel like they're a stretch. Also having set up both to operate the TV, the Humax one doesn't operate the TV volume without first switching to TV mode (unless I've missed a secret setting somewhere...) whereas the BT one doesn't have this step and just works, making it much more practical.
    edited 4 September 2018, 6:17AM

Rob P said:
    Also having set up both to operate the TV, the Humax one doesn't operate the TV volume without first switching to TV mode (unless I've missed a secret setting somewhere...) whereas the BT one doesn't have this step and just works, making it much more practical.
    I have to admit, that I'm totally confused as to which remotes you guys are referring to exactly.

Rob, do you mean this remote when you say that it operates the TV without having to switch to TV mode?

I currently have the above which came with the box and I don't have to switch to TV mode for the volume (it's a good point Rob, glad you mentioned that), that must be a right pain to have to keep doing, so if all the other remotes have to do that then it rules them all out for me.

edited 4 September 2018, 8:26AM
    @pbar

Yes, you might well be confused, as when I went back to the referenced page, the curvy remote was gone.

This YouView page should be more stable  :)

There you can see the ‘curvy remote’ on the left, and all the various BT remotes in the middle, of which the one second left came with my T4000, and the one far right is the one in your eBay link above.

These two BT ones seem to be the same remote with purely cosmetic differences, but it is interesting (alarming?)  to see that all traces of YouView branding have been removed from what your eBay link refers to as the ‘latest 2018 BT remote’.

@Rob P - good point about the volume control on the new BT remotes; at last we have punch-through then on a Humax remote, and I didn’t know that.

I will teach this remote the Samsung TV immediately, and enjoy it more going forward.
    Thank you Roy, that does make things clearer, I appreciate that.

I shall either try to get the exact replacement then which I had (i.e. the fat remote as it shall now be known!) as we are used to that and had no troubles, or, as that seems hard to find, the 'new 2018' type BT one.
  • highdeftvfanhighdeftvfan Posts: 34Member
    edited 4 September 2018, 11:49AM
    So the latest BT remote, as confirmed on the BT web shop no longer has any Youview branding... gone are the Youview logo and Youview button, replaced with a Home button, interesting...
    Seems like the latest version 4 (V4) of the TalkTalk remote has also dropped all Youview branding... interesting...
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 37Member
    Roy said:

@Rob P - good point about the volume control on the new BT remotes; at last we have punch-through then on a Humax remote, and I didn’t know that.

I will teach this remote the Samsung TV immediately, and enjoy it more going forward.
    Yes - I'm not sure how old my BT one is, it came with a refurb retail DTR-T2110 and as I understand it the volume works the box's own volume unless you set up a TV code in which case it is overridden with that. Which is fine, as my box's volume is disabled anyway due to having turned on the surround over HDMI/SPDIF settings (I think?).

Meanwhile the Humax curvy one still requires me to switch to TV mode which is a pain because that box (T2000) also has it's own volume disabled for the same reason, making it far less useful to me. So much so that I'd consider getting a BT remote as listed above for this box also. (Yes I know I'm awkward :smile: )

@pbar - apologies for the confusion! I was indeed referring to the two identified by @Roy.
  • TomWTomW Posts: 475Member
    edited 4 September 2018, 10:47PM
    If you can source a Plusnet remote I would recommend getting one instead of the BT variant. They’re identical except that the Plusnet remote has a button for direct access to the MyTV (previously known as MyView) recordings page which is really useful. See image below and this thread for further info https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604443/direct-access-to-mytv-with-a-programmable-remote They rarely come up for sale second hand, unfortunately, but it’s worth keeping an eye out. I had need for a second YouView box and bought a used Plusnet box from eBay specifically for the remote which I now use to control my BT YouView box. It would of course be all the more helpful if all YouView remotes had a dedicated MyTV/MyView button - why the designers saw fit not to include one is anyone’s guess.

Well, I ordered the latest BT Youview remote, from BT's own website as I didn't wish to invite any EvilBay issues.

Very happy with it actually, big improvement on the previous one which came with the Youview box. Big improvements for me include the addition of an AV button for the TV, and a single button to power the TV off (instead of having to use the shift button plus one other)

Nice that they continued the TV volume without having to switch to TV mode too.

Thanks again for all the input and help, appreciate it.