DTRT2000 constantly accessing the internet

JaneVJaneV Posts: 5Member
Hi there, is it normal for my Humax DTRT2000 to be constantly accessing the internet? I've only noticed it recently, but it may have been doing it without me realising - I got back from holiday a couple of weeks ago to find a huge amount of data was used in the last month, possibly while we were away. I don't know if it's the Humax box, but I'm suspicious. It's got it's own connection to the router, and the internet light on that connection is constantly flickering as if the box is pulling down data all the time. It seems to be up to date with software - it's on 3.5.102(1759b5) and 31.56.10.
Thanks,
Jane

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,451Member ✭✭✭
    Are you with BT TV? They have started this thing with keep-alive packets for multicast. 

Are you on a metered connection? If this is costing you extra, then you should worry about it; but if not, it hardly matters. Though many people are annoyed by the constantly flickering router lights you now get. 

How much is a ‘huge’ amount of data, BTW?

You might want to run Fing, or some similar tablet/phone app, to see if you recognise every device on your network, in case you have a cuckoo in the nest.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 740Member ✭✭✭
    @JaneV , Also, I note that since you say your box is on 31.56.10, that update (release 1st August), may have installed on your box while you were away.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • JaneVJaneV Posts: 5Member
    Hi there, it's just a stand alone Humax box, not with BT TV, and my connection is unlimited, so not costing extra thankfully.

My usage for the previous month (2 weeks of which we were away) was 43GB - the 2 months before that were 11 and 15GB. Presumably this was due to the software update? The dates fit, but it seems like a heck of a lot.

I have checked my router to see what's connected and can't see anything untoward, so I'm guessing it's all due to the Humax box. I just don't see why it needs to be constantly drawing down data when I'm not using it, and it's not updating itself - I'm hoping this constant trickle isn't affecting the other things I've got attached, and yes, I do find the constantly flickering lights on the router annoying.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 904Administrator admin
    JaneV said:
    Hi there, it's just a stand alone Humax box, not with BT TV, and my connection is unlimited, so not costing extra thankfully.

My usage for the previous month (2 weeks of which we were away) was 43GB - the 2 months before that were 11 and 15GB. Presumably this was due to the software update? The dates fit, but it seems like a heck of a lot.

I have checked my router to see what's connected and can't see anything untoward, so I'm guessing it's all due to the Humax box. I just don't see why it needs to be constantly drawing down data when I'm not using it, and it's not updating itself - I'm hoping this constant trickle isn't affecting the other things I've got attached, and yes, I do find the constantly flickering lights on the router annoying.
    Hi Jane, 

Can you please let me know which ISP you are with? It seems a little unusual for it to start using that much more data but knowing the ISP may help us work out why this may be happening. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah, I'm with Plusnet - and I did check the data usage figures were correct before I commented on here, but they couldn't tell me what had been using the data.
    Thanks,
    Jane
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,021Member ✭✭✭
    As your retail only thats unusual. Do Plusnet have you logged as retail only?
    I'd ask Sarah to ask them.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 904Administrator admin
    edited 6 September 2018, 1:22PM
    Hi @JaneV

The amount of data used for software updates is very low so this would not be contributing to the amount of data shown. As Plusnet is still in the BT family, the router will be flashing to show that they're monitoring the line for any faults or issues in the same way it does for a BT line. This does not consume much in the way of data at all and as such isn't significant enough to show up in any bills but may show up in bandwidth stats. Due to these factors, we feel it's unlikely that the rise in data is due to the Youview box doing anything whilst you were away.

It's possible that things like watching more VOD content on the box or watching/downloading VOD on other devices which you may not have been aware about plus updates on other devices such as phones could be contributing towards the data uplift. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    OK thanks - I'll have to monitor the situation and see if I can find the culprit.
    Jane