YouView website gives incorrect retuning advice for CraigKelly transmitter

John29John29 Posts: 20Member
edited 6 September 2018, 6:11AM in Feedback
When visiting the YouView website I get a message about the 700MHz Clearance starting in Scotland.
It states that these transmitters will be affected on the 5th September and to retune after this date.
BLACK HILL, DARVEL AND CRAIGKELLY.

However I'm on the Craigkelly transmitter and my channels are fine. On checking the freeview website they list the following....

Most likely transmitter: Craigkelly

Freeview signals are changing in your area

You may need to retune if you are missing channels, on or after 
Wednesday, 03 October 2018.

Blackhill was indeed the 5th September. Craigkelly is not.

I wonder how many unnecessary retunes are being performed due to this incorrect info, as I for 1 almost did.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,201Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 September 2018, 9:53AM
    According to this page from DigitalUK, the ruling authority on these matters, there are two Craigkelly retune events, and one of them is/was indeed on the 5th September.

Is Craigkelly perhaps a game of two halves?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 838Administrator admin
    Hiya,

The Craigkelly transmitter is having two 700MHz clearance events, one was yesterday and the other is in October as you have observed from the DUK website. 

Usually all you need to do is a retune and then everything works as it did previously. It is possible that the two events are targeting different postcodes or areas used by that transmitter so you may find that you need to retune for the October one instead.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • LukеLukе Posts: 15Member
    Roy said:
    According to this page from DigitalUK, the ruling authority on these matters, there are two Craigkelly retune events, and one of them is/was indeed on the 5th September.
    But not for the Craigkelly main transmitter.
    For details page down your link and download the PDF for STV.

• DarrenDarren Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    edited 6 September 2018, 5:21PM
    I use the  Craigkelly transmitter and I got a pop up message this morning on my Youview box to retune or skip. I retuned and all was fine. I got all the muxs fine apart from the local Edinburgh mux as I have always had a very weak signal from that mux.
    My area is on the borderline between Craigkelly and Blackhill transmitters.

Darren
  • John29John29 Posts: 20Member
    edited 7 September 2018, 12:30PM
    The changes on Craigkelly were for very minor relay stations. Newbattle covers a few hundred properties for example. This affected a single PSB MUX on these minor relay
    stations.
    The main transmitter and the bulk of the changes (6 MUX's)
    happens on 3 October.

I see 2 problems.

The wording on the YouView website implies that I need to retune if in on the Craigkelly main transmitter.
    The majority do not need to.
    Many will retune for no reason.

It makes no mention that I (and the majority on Craigkelly) WILL need to retune on 3rd October.

A small addition that further changes will occur on the 3 October wouldn't hurt?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,201Member ✭✭✭
    I can see how the highland clearances could be a sensitive subject  :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley