What has happened to all the Youview App's promised in your marketing!!

ABC1234ABC1234 Posts: 29Time out
edited 9 September 2018, 2:07AM in Discussion
I would like to know what happened to Youview - the marketing adverts promised lots of content, loads of Apps, but all we have is BBC New & Sport,  nothing new and the interface changes and updates to second generation Youview where they use different technology promised more updates quicker, but what have we got nothing.   The people of Youview HQ are not relying on the broadband providers to update it.   What is Youview's USP,  Freeview Play has caught up - they have apps, all the players, remote record and other features.  What make Youview better.

Youview  advert:       promise of great content and change TV forever.   Best Catchup and more apps than other providers but this is all what was a promise made in marketing adverts, but did not happen.   This is just the beginning but no developers developed apps, why?  - Did the people at YouView HQ fall asleep.  Have you now run out of money,  what is the future of Youview - Freeview Play and Freesat have caught up as have smart TV's offering a lot more than Youview currently offer, If you do not improve people may change to other providers, like Freeview Play and Freesat.  

Content providers:  BBC SPORTS APP & BBC NEWS APP - ANY OTHERS, NO! WHY NOT.  

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,200Member ✭✭✭
    Er - Amazon Video doesn’t count?

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 737Member ✭✭✭
    Not on my box @Roy !
    (It's a T2000 retail)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • ABC1234ABC1234 Posts: 29Time out
    I've never mentioned Amazon. We have 2 apps both BBC ones, I have not mentioned amazon for content.
    SW007 said:
    I've never mentioned Amazon. We have 2 apps both BBC ones, I have not mentioned amazon for content.
    Precisely. The Amazon Video app has come to the BT T2xxx boxes and is expected to come to the rest, but here you are bemoaning the lack of new apps while this one seems to have escaped your attention.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley

The above advert was very good, got people talking and one of the better TV marketing for free to air TV, but no Apps, no content providers and most modern TV's called SMART TV's have all the catch up players and now Freeview play has backward catch up.   So if someone said Why YouView -  I could buy a hard drive recorder and connect it to my TV, or buy Freeview play box - what is USP of Youview,  the promise of content did not happen, the update are now slow, no improvements - is seems that the technical people at Youview may have fallen asleep,  have they run out of funds, are they looking into Amazon Alexa to control boxes why?  there is no apps and not much content to control.  Youview may have given up and now rely on internet providers such as TalkTalk, PLUSNET AND BT to update boxes and add content, but all the hype when the box first introduced - sit back and wait and see the great content the TV can do, just plug in the box and see the wow factor,  I did and at first it was OK but now other players such as FreeView Play have caught up.  Life is not so bright for Youview - but it could be if you add a USP and get some apps on board.
    I think the other services were bound to play catch-up (pun intended), once YouView had shown them the way.

But they still don’t offer anything like Discover and Search, with YouView’s ability to provide a one-stop source of information about everything on the platform, whether broadcast, recorded, or on a catch-up service.

The aggregation capability which drives these two functions remains YouView’s USP, which the competitors you mention will have to overcome enormous technological and logistical barriers to emulate.
    edited 10 September 2018, 1:14PM
    In my opinion Roy you are wrong channel 100 on freeview play TV  or via a freeview play box  you can get freeview explore  search via categories/ comedy, drama, films. sport and more , actors and actresses and get all the catch up players, you even get access to Amazon Prime if  you subscribe and youtube on your telly.   Freesat offer showcase - and a search engine to find things on TV under vaiety of categories,  youview with 2nd gen software took it away for a long long time and freeview play has been voted the best for search / explore which is similar to discover. so Roy I think you are wrong but this is just my opinion so hopefully you will not get upset.
    SW007 said:
    In my opinion Roy you are wrong channel 100 on freeview play TV  or via a freeview play box  you can get freeview explore  search via categories/ comedy, drama, films. sport and more , actors and actresses and get all the catch up players, you even get access to Amazon Prime if  you subscribe and youtube on your telly.   Freesat offer showcase - and a search engine to find things on TV under vaiety of categories,  youview with 2nd gen software took it away for a long long time and freeview play has been voted the best for search / explore which is similar to discover. so Roy I think you are wrong but this is just my opinion so hopefully you will not get upset.
    Well, I don’t have a Freeview Play device, so I am prepared to stand corrected, but would I be right in thinking that if you subscribe to Amazon Video on one of these devices, the Amazon Video content isn’t added to Freeview Explore, like it, NowTV and Netflix are to what YouView can search?

As that link just says ‘broadcast’.
    You can only search the content to what you are subscribed to.  If you do not subscribe to Prime why would you be able to search for stuff you can't get, once you subscribe you can search the content.  Simples 
    edited 10 September 2018, 10:49PM
    SW007 said:
    You can only search the content to what you are subscribed to.  If you do not subscribe to Prime why would you be able to search for stuff you can't get, once you subscribe you can search the content.  Simples 
    And you know that how? Can you provide a citation, or a screenshot, demonstrating that once you subscribe to a non-broadcast product like Amazon Video or Netflix, its content is added to your Freeview Explore?

Nonetheless, that it only includes products and players that are free, or that you are subscribed to (if indeed that is the case) is much superior to the YouView offering, where what I see is all cluttered up with NowTV Movies and BT TV results, when I don’t subscribe to either.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,942Member ✭✭✭
    I think Roy is right. Aggregated search across all apps is one of the main differentials between YouView and freeview play. 

We’re also seeing a lot of new features being introduced which is refining the YouView experience. I imagine this trickle of tweaks will be fairly constant. Not sure whether we’ll see the same constant tweaking with freeview play? 
    I am not sure these things like BBC rewind / play from start are exclusive to YouView as Freeview Play have same, the apps page has been empty since launch.   we just want to know why ?
    I hope people do not get me wrong  despite stating I am unhappy that no apps are in the apps part of YouView,  YouView has many good points for example:  remote record is one of the best remote TV guide apps, allowing you to record single program or series, the website is well put together.    The TV guide via the box needs to have a TV screen in the right or left hand corner, like freesat, freeview, SKY & Virgin not the whole screen with guide on top / overlaying it which is very difficult to see even on the latest tv's with best resolution.   
    edited 11 September 2018, 6:09PM
    We are always striving to bring the best content to you with new Players and Apps joining our great line up...   ( this is what it says on the website of YouView,  I am sorry great line up - we have BBC News & Sport they are good apps but  how is this a great line up, these apps are good but no others since you have launched, even the weather app got wind and few off) How are Youview striving to bring new apps?  In the years since launch how much striving has happened as nothing has come onboard,  just wondering why, however still the best platform for remote record.

I agree although we have the promise of Amazon, and full nowtv apps incoming, the pace of app development has been really slow. Looks like they’re getting with the program now though. 
    It's been years and yes I can't make a Youview box but to advertise sonerhsom and not deliver is not good for brand image.
    God, I miss that sonerhsom.....
    ROY:  The Amazon Video app has come to the BT T2xxx boxes and is expected to come to the rest, but here you are bemoaning the lack of new apps while this one seems to have escaped your attention.   * I am aware the BT T2xxxx boxes have Amazon but there is no info to people about Amazon Video coming to Youview,  It appears you get information from Youview because you constantly on here and ask them questions and maybe you get extra info I am not sure.    But to most people all we see is a blank apps page,  Anyway Amazon Video you have to pay for monthly fee,  I can however get Amazon Video through my Panasonic TV with Freeview Play Built in.   I would also state the interface with Youview is Good just a few improvements could make it the best,  the Guide screen is only B&W,  the TV Picture is so poor with guide over the top it will be better if placed in left or right hand corner like other providers do,  I have switched mine off because I have great TV but it is hard to read the guide with the TV picture in the background - rather useless to be frank Roy,  Bring back the TV screen ( MINI TV ) in the right hand or left hand side of the screen.    The Youview remote app is great on android, very clear, easy to use and one of the best on the market today.   The website is well put together and detailed and informative.   The help screen is not so informative -  when you go on website or on the box help section it only mentions the Humax boxes and remote controls,  my remote from TalkTalk  does not have a Y or Yourview button, they have redesigned it to show Menu and More TV but the help videos on Youview do not reflect this, also buttons are in a different place to the Humax Youview original remote the one that drove people made by clicking.    I no longer have a Humax box as I gave it to a friend a in my opinion the TalkTalk box from Huawei is slimmer - looks better on the shelf under the TV, we know when it is recording a blue and red light flickers across the box very which is not distracting,  Humax boxes are also good but in black & Silver, they stick out more on the shelf and have a bigger footprint - when the box is recording you have no idea unless you switch on and check my tv area my recordings.

The freeview play and freesat both have YouTube, Amazon and much more, only BT Youview has Amazon at present.

With FreeView Play and a smart TV you can get a Internet Browser - so if you want to show something to a wider audience you can display on your TV - SMART with Freeview Play and Selected Smart TV's  like Panasonic.   Hopefully Youview may introduce web-browser. 

• SarahSarah Posts: 838Administrator admin
    SW007 said:
    The help screen is not so informative -  when you go on website or on the box help section it only mentions the Humax boxes and remote controls,  my remote from TalkTalk  does not have a Y or Yourview button, they have redesigned it to show Menu and More TV but the help videos on Youview do not reflect this, also buttons are in a different place to the Humax Youview original remote the one that drove people made by clicking.     
    Hi @SW007

In regards to the information quoted above, can you explain where you find the help screen unhelpful? Is this on the Help App or on the Youview Support site? 

We updated our support site a few months ago to include pictures of all the remotes and add in pictures of what the menu button would look like for each remote. Images for these can be found here and references made to the Menu should also link to the 2nd section of that guide. If there's one we've missed please let us know. 

We also  recently updated our Youview help videos on our Youtube channel, these will be updated into the Help App imminently. If you're unsure how to do something because of a different remote from the video, we recommend you get in touch with TalkTalk as they are your box provider and should be able to provide further help. 

If you have any particular feedback about the support site or the help app it's always helpful to hear.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • scottscott Posts: 1,801Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 September 2018, 12:44PM

How old is that screenshot? - Amazon Instant Video changed to Prime Video a long time ago, is freeview play really still using that old an app for Amazon?

Also isn't Wuaki tv now Raukten?

its been a busy few years for the Apps team at Youview with the adding off BBC News, BBC Sport a silly weather app that was few months down the line removed.   
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 169Member
    Roy said:
    Trouble is, you guys are amateurs when it comes to knocking YouView. You don’t even know enough to go for the jugular  :p
    Perhaps you could enlighten us but methinks it would make absolutely no difference whatsover. YouView has become very much an also ran.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 325Member ✭✭
    I wonder just how many box sales there have been for Youview if you exclude those supplied as part of TV contract , which represent the very vast majority of those in circulation.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,883Member ✭✭✭
    I wonder just how many box sales there have been for Freeview Play if you exclude those supplied as part of TVs OS with no choice, which also represent the very vast majority of those counted in circulation.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 325Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    I wonder just how many box sales there have been for Freeview Play if you exclude those supplied as part of TVs OS with no choice, which also represent the very vast majority of those counted in circulation.
    Misinterpret what I was getting at why not.
    I was suggesting that it's fairer to compare the number of retail sales of Youview recording boxes (as opposed to those obtained as part of a TV subscription) with the number of sales of Freeview Play recording boxes as I think you well knew.

Tim C said:
    Visionman said:
    Misinterpret what I was getting at why not.
    I was suggesting that it's fairer to compare the number of retail sales of Youview recording boxes (as opposed to those obtained as part of a TV subscription) with the number of sales of Freeview Play recording boxes as I think you well knew.

I don’t know about fairer, but I can see it would suit your purposes better.

However, the uncomfortable fact is that we are talking about relative market penetration here.

You are very welcome to obtain for us the YouView retail figures and the Freeview Play PVR figures, though, if you can, and compare them here.

After which, you may well want to point out that YouView has been around a fair bit longer, and make some adjustment for that.

And so on and so on, until the remaining numbers bear out your point.

A further uncomfortable fact is that the qualitative results I quoted put YouView boxes in the lead.

Maybe you could hunt round, though, and find another objective evaluation that puts Freeview Play before YouView?
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 169Member
    Don't see much difference between either system. Both use catchup and after all Youview is just there to upsell for the ISP's.
  • highdeftvfanhighdeftvfan Posts: 3Member
    edited 20 September 2018, 11:17AM
    I have the numbers for various platforms and can post them here, however, I can tell you now, youview is not growing, in fact the figures show a small decline... mainly due to changing numbers by BT and TalkTalk...

...sorry, but that is the reality and Freeview Play is now the standard going forward and is being integrated by more and more TV equipment manufacturers.

The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and network operator Arqiva are investing £125 million in the further development of Freeview Play, there is no ISP involvement in the platform, and it is now, and will be at the heart of future plans for public broadcasting.

Don't forget... Freeview Play was developed as a replacement for youview when the BBC decided that because of the increasing involvement by the BT and TalkTalk that youview no longer supported the conditions set out in the BBC's charter for the platform... so Freeview Play was born...

Look, I am a youview user and and I like youview, but the speed and at which youview have rolled out nextgen has been so slow that as a technology and platform it is now falling behind...

I expect all of this discussion will be pretty irrelevant next year... 2019.
    Next year YouView will have a fuller portfolio of apps across the platform. We know that Amazon will come to retail and I suspect talktalk after the BT roll out, and almost certainly the same for full nowtv.
    New standards that are being developed by BBC for IP tv delivery are not platform specific, and will be found on smart TVs and pvrs - both YouView and freeview play. 

• DarrenDarren Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    What I like about Youview is it has a app that lets you remote record when you are not in or near your box.I don’t think the Freeview Play app lets you remote record. I just wish you was able to delete a scheduled recording via the Youview app if you have made a mistake.
    As for apps Youview now has most of the apps that I need.Yes a Youtube app on the Youview box would be good but I got a the Youtube app on my two Samsung full HD smart TVs.
    Youview are making improvements and will continue to do so just that at times it feels like they are starting to fall behind the likes of Sky and Virgin Media in terms of tech. 
    Only other thing I would like is if BT in one of there updates would bring back the discover feature.

Darren