no sound

barriedbarried Posts: 5Member
Since leaving BT and keeping my youview box I can only get sound on catchup tv on BBC. I also get sound on Netflix.It will be on the advertisements but not on the film. Has anyone else had this problem?
Barried

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 888Administrator admin
    Hi @barried

Welcome to the forum :) 

Can you let us know your YouView box model along with the software version it's running? You can find this my pressing Help and then Info on your remote control. 

Despite no longer being on a BT subscription, you should still be able to use the box for its core purpose so you will still continue to receive software updates for the device. The sound disappearing around the same time will just be a coincidence and won't be linked to you changing your service provider. 

Can you let us know how long this has been happening for and also a bit more information about your TV set up such as if you are using HDMI, SCART or speakers?

Thanks,
    Sarah

• barriedbarried Posts: 5Member
    Hi Sarah
    Thanks for gettiing back to me.
    Box is Humax DTR72100
    Software version CDS/31.28.0
    My setup may be unusual but not unique
    Downstairs Samsung tv with the youview box. Connected to the youview box is a wireless AV sender tv video & audio transmitter
    Upstairs is a Sony tv with an ariel and Wireless AV receiver.
    All this has worked fine for a couple of years but as of the last 2 weeks the problem developed.
    All fine on  BBC hub but any other hub I only get sound  on adverts not on the actual film. I did notice today that if I start to watch on the Samsung then I get the sound upstairs even if I switch the Samsung off.
    I guess the problem lies with the AV kit but why sound on BBC and the ads but not on the content on commercial  hubs.
    Rgds Barrie

• SarahSarah Posts: 888Administrator admin
    Hi @barried,

Can you let me know how your box is connected to this equipment? Are you using SCART, HDMI or both at the same time? 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,434Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2018, 8:47AM
    Hi @barried

Can you try temporarily disconnecting the AV sender (which I assume is on the SCART on the YouView box) and seeing if things go back to normal operation with the Samsung TV?

Then, disconnect the HDMI (I assume HDMI) to the Samsung, at the YouView end, and see if the AV sender also now works properly to send sound and vision upstairs to the Sony TV, and which continues even after there are adverts?

The results will tell us (and you!) if one leg or the other is faulty, or if the two legs are clashing.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    Hi Sarah & Roy. 
    Reading your emails made me look at the connections on the Samsung. Fairly complex as we have vhs & dvd connected which we haven't used since we got youview.
    I had to move the tv recently and had connected in to hdmi 2 stupidly.I swapped it to hdmi1 and everything is ok now. Still puzzles me why BBC had sound but any commercial hub only had sound on the adverts.
    The sender & receivers work well by the way both upstairs where we can switch the youview box on and the kitchen where there is no ariel.
    Looking to buy a new smart tv will do away with vhs & dvd I think. Just find it very difficult  deciding which one to buy as I would like freesat.
    Thanks for your help in curing my problem
    Barried
    Hi Roy & Sarah
    Thought all was well but sadly not so.
    Checked everything this morning and this is the result
    Samsung tv in lounge. Scart from tv to dvd player. Youview box to AV sender. Youview box to hdmi 1 on Samsung.
    Sony in bedroom. Av receiver to scart using a scart adapter. Use the Hdmi channel on the remote to watch the program
    Problem. If the Samsung is on and connected to catchup hub sound on Sony is ok. Switch of the Samsung and when the ads come on the Sony will not have any sound once the ads have finished. Switch Samsung on again and the sound returns to the Sony. All hubs affected apart from BBC (no ads) & Netflix. Roy do you still want me to do the 2 disconnects as per your previous email ?
    Rgds Barried
    edited 24 September 2018, 9:22AM
    barried said:
    Hi Roy & Sarah
    Thought all was well but sadly not so.
    Checked everything this morning and this is the result
    Samsung tv in lounge. Scart from tv to dvd player. Youview box to AV sender.

R: Via SCART? This is important, but you still haven’t answered either Sarah or me to confirm or deny this.

Youview box to hdmi 1 on Samsung.
    Sony in bedroom. Av receiver to scart using a scart adapter.

Use the Hdmi channel on the remote to watch the program.

R: EDIT: I still don’t see how choosing HDMI on the Sony remote can get you the output from an analogue AV receiver on a SCART connection. Unless the Input had been renamed in the past, but is actually an AV ONE.

Problem. If the Samsung is on and connected to catchup (EDIT) player with adverts...

R: (removed query and substituted ’player’ for ‘hub’, to lessen my own confusion)

....sound on Sony is ok. Switch off the Samsung and when the ads come on, the Sony will not have any sound once the ads have finished. Switch Samsung on again and the sound returns to the Sony. All players affected apart from BBC (no ads) & Netflix.

Roy do you still want me to do the 2 disconnects as per your previous email ?

R: Yes. When you ask for advice, and receive some, it is often desirable to take it. As long as it does not sound dangerous or destructive or just plain wrong, of course.... ;)

Rgds Barried

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    Hi Roy
    disconnected the av sender.... result no yv to Sony upstairs but yv to samsung downstairs
    disconnected HDMI to Samsung....result yv to Sony upstairs but no yv to Samsung downstairs
    What come up on the Sony remote is the following
    AV1 which is just freeview
    HDMI which is used to watch yv
    AV2
    Video 4
    While your help is greatly appreciated please try to be a little more understanding. I am 83 not 13 and not  an audio geek but I do know that a router is not a hub and that ITV rebranded 3 years ago and dropped the word player and now call their catchup ITVHub,hence I used hub generally to refer to all the catchups I did not list apart from BBC who call it iplayer
    Rgds Barrie
    Supplementary to the above:

As it’s before breakfast, I can try believing up to six impossible things...

One tenuous insight I have is that the adverts and programmes on players with advertising come from different sources, something made more obvious if you are using Smart DNS, as I am at present. And All4, for one, is or was notorious for not making the switch back correctly.

And this is the point at which you lose your sound. So the what is partially explicable, sort of. (AAMOI, you have checked this isn’t just something turning on the Mute?)

Now we just have to explain how your Samsung TV can sneak back up the chain of devices and disrupt this process....

I used to have SCART AV senders - Digisenders - distributing the AV Out from a Sky box, in the days before WiFi, but as these share the 2.4GHz band, they were disrupting the wifi, and I stopped using them.

However, they were asynchronous; the sender had no idea if either of my receivers were listening or not, as far as I know. Much less if either or both of the TVs connected by them was on or not.

So what make and model are your AV sender and receiver devices? Maybe
    they work differently to what I had.

What did go back up the chain were signals from the Sky remote we kept beside each remote TV; these fed a little Toblerone-shaped blaster that pointed at the Sky magic eye. This blaster, as long as one of the AV receivers was powered up, even when absolutely nothing was happening at the far end, would inhibit the the ‘down’ button on the local Sky remote; we had to turn the blaster over so its sender was face down when we wanted to use this.

The Digisender people said this was impossible; today, I would just send them a video off my iPad of it not being impossible at all, but this was all back then.

So - a few more details please, besides those requested above for Mute, and for the sender; have you got the Remote ‘back channel’ to the YouView box with an IR blaster?

When you switch the Samsung TV off, does the AV receiver stay on?

What happens, from a fully working state, if you put your IR blaster face down before switching off the Samsung, wait for the adverts and the subsequent programme resume? Do you still lose the sound?

I’m just wondering if you have a malign blaster, like I did, somehow doing this?
    barried said:
    Hi Roy
    disconnected the av sender.... result no yv to Sony upstairs but yv to samsung downstairs
    disconnected HDMI to Samsung....result yv to Sony upstairs but no yv to Samsung downstairs
    What come up on the Sony remote is the following
    AV1 which is just freeview
    HDMI which is used to watch yv
    AV2
    Video 4
    While your help is greatly appreciated please try to be a little more understanding. I am 83 not 13 and not  an audio geek but I do know that a router is not a hub and that ITV rebranded 3 years ago and dropped the word player and now call their catchup ITVHub,hence I used hub generally to refer to all the catchups I did not list apart from BBC who call it iplayer
    Rgds Barrie
    Apologies 1 - yes, ITV do indeed call it a Hub. Damn silly of them, as it only causes confusion, and YouView have it under Players, but yes, I can see why you called it a Hub  :#

Apologies 2 - I’ve been mixing up the two TVs, and thinking the Samsung was in the bedroom, not the Sony, so I’ll just sort that out.

Back in a few minutes.
    Hi @barried

Trying again, and ignoring anything I have said, even EDITed, above:-

I’m still a bit mystified by the upstairs Sony TV, or its remote, as I would expect you to be watching Freeview from your upstairs aerial on a setting called ‘TV’, not an AV setting at all, and the AV receiver, going into a SCART on the TV, to appear on an AV input, most probably AV1, not one called HDMI. 

(Unless your TV let you rename inputs, and this has been done in the past, but never changed back? - please say if this is the case, as that would explain it.)

Can I suggest that with the YouView box on and sending, and the Samsung TV on to keep the sound alive, and the receiver active on the Sony, you temporarily pull the aerial cable out, and see if AV1 goes black, or ‘No Signal’ or if it in fact stays working?

And if the latter, switch off the AV receiver for the moment, and see if AV1 then goes black or ‘No signal’?
    barried said:
    Hi Sarah & Roy. 
    Reading your emails made me look at the connections on the Samsung. Fairly complex as we have vhs & dvd connected which we haven't used since we got youview.
    I had to move the tv recently and had connected in to hdmi 2 stupidly.I swapped it to hdmi1 and everything is ok now. Still puzzles me why BBC had sound but any commercial hub only had sound on the adverts.
    The sender & receivers work well by the way both upstairs where we can switch the youview box on and the kitchen where there is no ariel.
    Looking to buy a new smart tv will do away with vhs & dvd I think. Just find it very difficult  deciding which one to buy as I would like freesat.
    Thanks for your help in curing my problem
    Barried
    This is not my finest hour  :s

Just noticed where you say you have a second receiver for the aerial-less kitchen TV. This provokes a new question; when you lose sound on the upstairs Sony TV, do you also lose it on the kitchen TV, or is that working fine throughout?

Buying a new Smart TV will bring you all sorts of benefits, but I don’t see how it would replace your VCR and DVD devices. What are your expectations here?

There are lots of good TVs with Freesat, and most of them have aerial connections for over-the-air TV as well. Here’s a Curry’s search; if you give us a few pointers as to screen size, HD or 4K, and so on, we can narrow it down a bit further for you.
  • JFB473JFB473 Posts: 4Member
    Hello @barried

I have a similar setup to you and the same problem (I am a youview subscriber via BT). 

In my setup is the youview box is connected to a tv via hdmi. The youview rca outputs are then fed to a modulator and distributed around the house.

If I leave the main (hdmi connected) tv on then the modulated signal is okay. If I turn the main tv off, once an advert break occurs, the program audio is lost and will not return (oddly advert audio remains okay if I fast forward to the next advert.  Also if I rewind to a section of the program that was okay (when the main tv was on) the audio is not available).

If I switch the main tv back on everything works again.
    @Sarah does my post above help diagnose the fault / identify a fix. 
    The RCA outputs are sound only, into two phono plugs.

Did you mean the SCART output? Big socket, takes a big plug with about 22 pins.

YouView have broken the functionality by which you used to be able to use HDMI and SCART simultaneously.

And @Sarah will chide you for setting up a configuration which is not as per the manual if you try  :p
    @Roy

Thanks for the reply. My BT youview box uses RCA rather than scart (red, white and yellow).  I looked on Wikipedia and RCA relates to the type of connector and is not limited to audio - video is yellow). This said it’s the same signal that you can get from a scart lead.

When did youview ‘break the functionality’?  Did they do this on purpose to stop people distributing the signal?

I’m intrigued that the issued is constrained to the audio associated with ‘on demand’ play back (live TV is not affected), that it doesn’t affect adverts, and only when a device fitted to the hdmi output is switched off.  It feels more like buggy software than an intentional action. 

Do do we know if youview recognise the issue and intend to fix it?

Best - Jamie
    edited 17 October 2018, 8:47AM
    @JFB473

So it does! I never noticed the T21xx had an RCA video out - you learn something every day. I never had one of these, though I have the manual, which I have just checked - my bad  :(

And as you say, it is the same signal you get from the SCART.

Sarah has provided YouView’s official view, which is that trying to support both HDMI and SCART out simultaneously interferes with the operation of the HDCP copy protection, so they do not propose to do anything about this.

But this hardly explains why people trying to use both together are reporting issues with the analogue outputs, but not difficulties with the HDMI out.

Rather than use analogue outs, I had an HDMI splitter on the HDMI out of my box, with one side going to the TV and the other to an HDMI to component video converter. That used to work fine, but I suppose I now need to set it up again and try it, in case YouView have broken it  :/

My take on all this, given that we also still wait in vain for many OldGen features to be restored, ones that should not be affected by the switch to tiles, is that YouView have somewhat lost control of their development process.

And those who don’t like the EPG popping, as it does now, may think the same of the design process. If indeed, they didn’t think it when NextGen first hove into view.

But I do wonder who YouView is being aimed at now? It doesn’t seem to be us  :'(
    Cheers @Roy
  • I am having the same problem, we have 1 you view box, connected to 1 tv. A woeful broadband, and insufficient signal to view hdmi successfully. 
    I have no sound on players and apps other than the adverts, except on bbc player which works fine.
    I have just cleared my deceased brothers flat and bought his youview box home to send to BT so have tried all sorts of combinations with his tv, my tv, old HDMI leads, old scart leads, new leads for both,  with his box and my box. I can recover the sound fully, but then loose it again with use. Both boxes and every combination result in the same problem.I spoke to BT and they spoke as if they hadn’t heard of this error! 
    I have both scart and hdmi connected. My box is a couple of years old, my brothers, the same model, is less than 1 yr old.
    im fed up with fiddling with it. Should I try changing the signal booster plug things, I have a spare pair here - or is that not going to help? 
    Just thought I’d add myself to the number of those recorded as having trouble. 
    edited 1 November 2018, 10:25AM
    @notmuchtimefortv

As as you have the HDMI connected, I presume you have at least an HD Ready TV? The YouView box should detect that this can’t do 1080, and drop to 720; though if it doesn’t, you can set this manually in settings, or in extremis, type 7 2 0 on the remote to get it.

But as far as I know, there is no such thing as ‘insufficient signal to watch HDMI successfully’ but ‘sufficient signal to watch SCART’.

So I am puzzled by what you mean.

And further puzzled, in these circumstances, why you would keep a useless HDMI connection going when all it does is foul up the SCART that ought to work perfectly, within its analogue limitations, with the HDMI lead disconnected from the YouView box.

Can you please explain?
  • Yes I have Hdmi ready tv.
    You are doubtless right. The hdmi cable is probably superfluous. 
    i am no expert at technology, as you can tell,  I’m sorry if this annoying. I have reported the fault to BT and they will be sending an engineer next week. 
    Nothing changed in my set up, so even if I shouldn’t have had the hdmi and scart connected together, it worked fine until a few weeks ago.  
    I’ll wait to see what they say. 
    Thanks for your comments. 

Yes I have Hdmi ready tv.
    You are doubtless right. The hdmi cable is probably superfluous. 
    i am no expert at technology, as you can tell,  I’m sorry if this annoying. I have reported the fault to BT and they will be sending an engineer next week. 
    Nothing changed in my set up, so even if I shouldn’t have had the hdmi and scart connected together, it worked fine until a few weeks ago.  
    I’ll wait to see what they say. 
    Thanks for your comments. 

It’s not annoying, just puzzling  :p

But what changed a few weeks ago is that the latest YouView software releases no longer support simultaneous HDMI and SCART connections.

And especially not to the same TV, something that ought to be pointless anyway, if all of box, HDMI cable, and TV, are working as they should be.

So a BT engineer, if he finds you have both cables connected and nothing else wrong, is likely to call it NFF (no fault found) and you will be charged for the visit, £120, I think.

So I strongly suggest that before he comes, you disconnect the SCART cable from the YouView box, so that you can show him the pure HDMI problem that you have, whatever it is, and hopefully get a resolution of the issue.

And in the meantime, disconnect the HDMI cable from the YouView box (this must be done at the box end), and watch via SCART, hopefully without the problems that come from having HDMI connected as well.
  • Many thanks for your guidance. Removal of the hdmi lead has corrected the problem. I’ve cancelled the engineer, All is working well now. Thanks for your comments. 
    Now to get back on the case of our lousy broadband!