Freeview getting down and dirty with the non-free bits :-)

RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
“If your friends and family are still wasting money on expensive TV contracts, why not remind them that Freeview shows 95% of the nation’s favourite TV shows from across popular UK channels. And with all that spare cash, they can top up with streaming services such as Netflix, NOW TV, and Amazon Prime Video.”

So Freeview recognise the delights of these paid-for streaming services, and their real targets are Sky, Virgin, BT TV, and their ilk  :p 
Deploying my talents elsewhere now

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2018, 12:01AM
    What they have said is ironic. But whats even more ironic is they didn't need to mention add-on pay services at all. Because it is a fact that across both the full fat services (SKY & Virgin Media) over 95% of the channels viewed on them are what we YouViewers call 'Freeview'.
    Only if you sub a YV box but then cancel your subscription, they don't and won't take the equipment off you or cancel your recording facilities either. No Brainer.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    And the other five percent is Game of Thrones and The Grand Tour  :p

So it’s very realistic of Freeview to mention the add-on services.

Though it’s a bit weird to be advertising Freeview at all; cui bono?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    Where is that quote from @Roy?
    redchiz said:
    Where is that quote from @Roy?
    The five percent? I made that up, but you know what I mean, I hope.

Cui bono? (Who benefits?) It’s a legal term, usually to do with establishing motive as part of MMO, but here I am asking why bother to advertise something with a 95% penetration?

The answer may be that advertising has a secondary function, beyond pulling in new customers; it validates the purchases of existing customers and keeps them onside.

I’m sure, for instance, that if you bought a YouView box, spurred on by a massive print and TV campaign, you would be unhappy if the advertising stopped shortly afterwards, never to be repeated again  >:)
    @Roy No, I meant the one in your OP, but @jimb has answered that.
    Roy said:
    I’m sure, for instance, that if you bought a YouView box, spurred on by a massive print and TV campaign, you would be unhappy if the advertising stopped shortly afterwards, never to be repeated again  >:)
    I have never bought a YouView box in my life.   :D
    edited 25 September 2018, 1:43PM
    jimb said:
    Oh, that quote.....I got it from an email Freeview sent me, but well found, @jimb B)
    redchiz said:
    Roy said:
    I have never bought a YouView box in my life.   :D
    I think perhaps you have, but too slowly to notice  :p
    Er, no.
    edited 25 September 2018, 1:47PM
    Roy said:
    Oh, that quote.....I got it from an email Freeview sent me, but well found, @jimb B)
    Yeah, that quote, the one in quotation marks.   ;)
    redchiz said:
    Er, no.
    You were down in the dumps, and you found it there?
    Er, no.