New S4C player - With HD live stream

JoeJoe Posts: 1,950Member ✭✭✭
edited 28 September 2018, 3:06PM in Discussion
S4C have a newly designed App on YouView. It’s quite a major leap for S4C, as they now provide an HD version on their live stream through the app. Really pleased to see that, as S4C lost its DTT HD channel on freeview a while back. This is a really good move.
The HD live stream loads pretty instantly so it’s quite a slick implementation.

The Good:
• Live HD stream available in app

The Bad:
• The text size in the app is way too small at normal viewing distances.
•Search is awful. We’ve lost the quick input using the numerical keypad of the previous version. It’s been replaced with a QWERTY keyboard. Which confuses as I expect an alphabetical keyboard. 
* There are some issues with streaming content. Occasional pixelation on some programs ondemand and sometimes on the live stream. Didn’t have this issue before. SD ( there’s a mix of SD and HD) content is particularly affected, which can look quite poor sometimes.
•There’s no rewind option on the live stream

What would be good going forward would be a quick option to access the HD live stream from the DTT channel. If S4C could work together with the BBC to introduce the option with Live Restart that would be great. 
This year I’ve seen more and more live content being shown at better quality then DTT broadcast through internet streams. BBC 4 and S4C can only be viewed in HD where I live through the IP stream. BBC also trialed their ULtra HD live streams with the World Cup. It would be great if the industry/YouView could find a way to record these channels like the normal DTT broadcasts.

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 1,950Member ✭✭✭
    Strangely not all programs are allowed to be broadcast on the S4C live stream.
    Seems the live stream in S4C Clic player has rights to some programs and not others, and vice versa with The live steam available in iplayer. 

Pretty bad buffering on the live streams in S4C player. Get the impression it’s worse on the HD programming. It’s actually unwatchable now. 
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    Joe said:
    S4C have a newly designed App on YouView. It’s quite a major leap for S4C, as they now provide an HD version on their live stream through the app. Really pleased to see that, as S4C lost its DTT HD channel on freeview a while back. This is a really good move.
    The HD live stream loads pretty instantly so it’s quite a slick implementation.

The Good:
    • Live HD stream available in app

The Bad:
    • The text size in the app is way too small at normal viewing distances.
    •Search is awful. We’ve lost the quick input using the numerical keypad of the previous version. It’s been replaced with a QWERTY keyboard. Which confuses as I expect an alphabetical keyboard. 
    * There are some issues with streaming content. Occasional pixelation on some programs ondemand and sometimes on the live stream. Didn’t have this issue before. SD ( there’s a mix of SD and HD) content is particularly affected, which can look quite poor sometimes.
    •There’s no rewind option on the live stream

What would be good going forward would be a quick option to access the HD live stream from the DTT channel. If S4C could work together with the BBC to introduce the option with Live Restart that would be great. 
    This year I’ve seen more and more live content being shown at better quality then DTT broadcast through internet streams. BBC 4 and S4C can only be viewed in HD where I live through the IP stream. BBC also trialed their ULtra HD live streams with the World Cup. It would be great if the industry/YouView could find a way to record these channels like the normal DTT broadcasts.
    Our box hasn't got the new app @Joe, but we don't get any buffering watching S4C live at best quality in iPlayer.  The Live Restart option is available and the text is readable at normal viewing distances. It's the usual iPlayer Search.
    edited 9 October 2018, 11:26AM
    @jonesh yes there is the bbciplayer option, which has more functionality with the live streams. You can start a live program from the beginning. Not sure if they use the new HD live streams on there yet? - i’ll Have to check. 

Have to say after using the New S4C player I’m a bit disappointed with its GUI. I think the previous version was much better. The text is so small on new app
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 887Member ✭✭
    I did watch a chunk of the Wales v Spain on the s4c player and the quality of the live stream was good , briefly checked the BBC Iplayer stream and that also was good quality. Would agree that the S4C player GUI text size is surprisingly small.
    edited 13 October 2018, 10:48AM
    Sounds like iplayer has the better quality live stream too then. I’m presuming it’s 720p HD.
    What I have noticed is a lot of on demand programs have quite poor pixelation now. I’m guessing this is SD material which has been overly compressed? Tends to pixelate more when there’s movement on screen. I have a good fibre internet, and I’ve not not noticed this before. 
    I think S4C must have changed the way they encode their ondemand programs.