Humax DTR-T2000 Com4 SDN Micro Signal Dropouts

GardenCityNickGardenCityNick Posts: 6Member
edited 15 October 2018, 2:07PM in Support
Hi folks.
Ive just purchased the Humax DTR-T2000 and is now a day old.

Apart from the very noisy HDD I’m having no issues with the operation of the box, recording in any way or the software which automatically updated on instalation. 

I am recieving all muxes from the Sandy Heath transmitter which is in direct line of sight from me, Im running off a wideband loft aerial. Sandy recently went through the 700Mhz clearence around July I think it was.

All muxes have solid stable 100% signal quality with 90% strength however

All channels on Com4 SDN mux is extremely unstable, signal quality and strength fluctuate wildly all over the place, then drop to 0% then back up again.

Things I’ve tried so far. 

Moved all Hdmi cables well away from aerial cable.  
Replaced downlead and using high quality connectors
Turned signal amplifier gain down ( the amplifier is a high qualty one with tetra filter built in)
Factory reset Humax box and tried software reset.

Other tv’s and boxes in the house have no signal issues and are rock solid, always have had great reception from Sandy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I pull my hair out and send it back😔

Nick

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,543Member ✭✭✭
    Engineering works at Sandy Heath this week.....

And re your T2000, I might be inclined to take it back.

We keep ours in the bedroom, and it disturbs us not one whit.

We are with BT, but don’t have BT TV, whose multicast checking can be a bit over enthusiastic, though. What is your ISP situation?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • Thanks Roy,
    Dont have BT tv either, just a standard internet connection with box connected directly to the router. Everything else is fine, just that what seems to be either bad interference on that one mux or week signal, the engineering works will hopefully be the problem, I’ll see if it clears up on its own. 

With the HDD noise I’ve tried disconnecting the patch lead while it’s on standby and tried all the standby modes in setup, but it still fiddling with itself every 3 seconds or so and never stops, it’s literally like me standing next to you and jangling my keys with a pocket full of coins 😏
  • Update, the affected channels worked for a few hours this afternoon, now all dead again on that mux block. I can’t see engineering having down channels for 24 hours on a main transmitter. Have decided to return and get a full refund.  Thanks for your help though Roy.
  • Another another update Roy,
    something very odd going on with my amplifier, it’s power supply and an RF choke.  
    I’ll get back to you after more tests. I won’t be too hasty yet 😁
  • Looks like I do have a fault with my distribution amp sending out noise around the same frequency that Com4 is on, when fitting an RF choke on the downlead from any output on the amp it clears it up and signal quality is solid, unplug the amp and plug back in again without the choke and it’s a mess again.

The only think I can think is the Humax box’ tuner isn’t has robust as the two tv’s built in Freeview tuners which have no issues on Com4.

I’ll see how it goes with the RF choke permanently in place on the lead. Didn’t want to fork out on more new stuff just yet. 😏
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 38Member

With the HDD noise I’ve tried disconnecting the patch lead while it’s on standby and tried all the standby modes in setup, but it still fiddling with itself every 3 seconds or so and never stops, it’s literally like me standing next to you and jangling my keys with a pocket full of coins 😏
    Yes mine was like this also; I received it in July this year and the noise was driving me insane as it was all the time regardless of whether it was meant to be doing anything (on/standby/record/playback) it's like it was always busy. Curiously, the day after I took to this very forum last week to query whether this was normal, it stopped. Well, not stopped exactly, but it's become a lot less pronounced. There's a quiet click from it maybe every 10-15 seconds but it's not scratching away anything like as noisily unless it is actually meant to be recording or playing. So there's hope for you yet :)